Gransnet forums

Chat

What would you wear if you were working from home?

(15 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sat 04-Apr-20 06:42:04

There have been stories about some home workers getting caught wearing their underwear, or less?.

I wear a sort of uniform to work in then I feel work ready. I’m not sure if I would be as efficient in a pair of baggy pj’s.

JuliaM Sat 04-Apr-20 07:47:38

Im built for comfort! So it would have to be something along the lines of a pair of scrubs, or maybe a soft flowing skirt and a baggy cotton t-shirt. I have worn a full uniform with quite a strict dress code as regards colour of tights, hair bands, and even shoe heel height for many years when was younger, although in my last full time job we received a monthly clothing allowance and got told we must spend it on smart casual wear, although tracksuits and trainers were banned on duty unless we were oncall on an overnight sleep in duty where they were an acceptable substitute for nightwear.

M0nica Sat 04-Apr-20 08:52:35

If you are at home and no-one can see you, what does it matter?

DD worked from home for many years on a shift system. She is not a morning person, so for 6.30am shifts she wore her night attire until lunchtime (usually at 10.30am on an early shift) and only then got up and washed and dressed.

She is now working from home again, but 9 - 5, and just wears her ordinary 'lazy day at home' clothes. If she has a Skype or Zoom meeting, she puts a smart top on and some make-up.

TwiceAsNice Sat 04-Apr-20 08:57:50

I would wear a smart dress/top and skirt to work normally. I’m doing work at home now over the telephone so wear trousers and a T-shirt or long sleeved top according to how cold it is. I’m showered and dressed before I start ( although I might be in a dressing Wen if I had to start at 6-30!

GagaJo Sat 04-Apr-20 09:20:57

I’ll be online teaching soon. So I’ll do my hair and make up, wear usual at home clothes but throw on some noticeable jewellery.

Chewbacca Sat 04-Apr-20 09:32:33

I do work from home and I dress for both comfort and warmth. I don't want to have to put the heating on any more than I have to and so I wear thick fleecy lounge pants and top (the same as pjs, but much thicker), and a fleecy zip up hoody. I have weekly video meetings with my colleagues where we can see each other's faces, but that's all. But the webcam on my computer doesn't seem to be working and so they can't see me. Techie can't come to my house to sort the problem so I'm audio only. Shame that! grin

Missfoodlove Sat 04-Apr-20 09:33:18

My work is 50/50 from home and on “test days” at the factory.
I always wear casual clothes to work from home, face on and hair done!
I could never be in pyjamas.
Factory days are smart casual but never jeans.
Jeans in the workplace for me are all wrong!

SirChenjin Sat 04-Apr-20 10:18:01

I wear comfy, warm clothes when I’m working from home - it’s one of the many joys of working that way. If I’m on a video call I’ll smarten up though.

Esspee Fri 10-Apr-20 08:54:59

It is lovely not to wear a bra isn't it ladies?

PamelaJ1 Fri 10-Apr-20 08:56:49

Oh yes.

M0nica Fri 10-Apr-20 09:13:34

When DD was job hunting she had a couple of Skype interviews from home. For each interview she dressed and made up as normal for an interview - then only a couple of minutes before the interview, as she was settling in front of her computer ready for it, she realised she was still wearing her bunny slippers, so rushed upstairs for a proper pair of shoes, getting back down with only seconds to spare. She said she knew no one could see her feet, but she would never interview well, if she knew she wasn't properly dressed from top to toe.

The interview went perfectly and she got the job.

emmasnan Fri 10-Apr-20 10:00:08

I've always worked from home and I usually dress casually but always put shoes on during work time ( weird I know ) or I find it harder to get in to work mood and get easily distracted by day to day stuff.
Slippers go on when I've finished.

Chewbacca Fri 10-Apr-20 10:14:10

I was "caught out" on Monday of last week, whilst working from home. I need to smarten myself up for the next weekly Skype meeting. blush

Nortsat Fri 10-Apr-20 10:27:59

Not that long ago, my team and I were having an online conference call with a guy from our IT service, who was working at home. We all had the cameras on our phones turned off, but we needed to share a screen with him, so he could talk us through one of the processes.

His phone camera clearly wasn’t turned off, so we could see him and could clearly see he was only wearing underpants.

We were all at a bit of a loss and horrified ... so one of my guys piped up “X, we can all see you”.

Boy that phone camera went off, double quick and the remainder of the call was pretty short ...

Chewbacca Fri 10-Apr-20 10:58:39

I sympathise with your colleague Norstat; whilst I wasn't sat in my underwear during out last meeting, I certainly managed to cause some hilarity amongst my colleagues and huge embarrassment for me. Lesson learnt for next week!