Gransnet forums

Chat

Flood victims and the virus

(6 Posts)
Lesley1711 Sat 04-Apr-20 13:50:28

I have looked for news on the flood victims who are unable to go back to their homes and how they are coping with the “lockdown situation” due to the virus. Since the virus has taken over the news, the floods and the damage they caused seem to have been forgotten. I am concerned for their welfare and hope they in particular are coping with this new situation.

Labaik Sat 04-Apr-20 15:25:02

I was wondering about that, too. I would love to know how they're coping.
Just imagine if we had widespread flooding at the moment as well. However it's unfortunate that, at the one time when we need bad weather to keep people indoors we get sunshine.

Pikachu Sat 04-Apr-20 15:29:58

Friends who are having building work done tell me their builders have packed in a they cannot get supplies.

I expect this means that the flood victims’ houses will also be left in limbo until things start to improve.,

Calendargirl Sat 04-Apr-20 15:31:58

I saw an update a few days ago on people in Yorkshire somewhere. Some living in caravans on the drive, some confined to upstairs only. Lots seemed to be waiting for insurance assessors to come out.

What a nightmare, shopping, no proper washing facilities, not able to do their washing probably.

It must be a living hell.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 04-Apr-20 15:32:41

I was wondering that too. It must be very difficult for them and I expect they feel that everyone has forgotten about them.

NotSpaghetti Sat 04-Apr-20 15:43:18

I wondered this only yesterday and googled it - and there IS news. I read articles from The Yorkshire Post, Wales Online, The New European, BBC and the Shropshire Star. There were probably others I don’t remember. I certainly don’t remember anything in the broadsheets coming up though.

Issues include that some of those living in hotels are now without kitchens. Some people are living in small homes with relatives and dogs. Some are in “holiday lets” and mobile homes.

The good news apparently is that they have built up good supportive networks ahead of this pandemic and are all still looking after each other. Some papers are quite scathing about Boris Johnson though saying things like “he didn’t care before and doesn’t care now”.