Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(85 Posts)
12Michael Sun 05-Apr-20 06:13:15

Good Morning Everyone,
Its going to be a nice warm day today by the looks of things.
Have now switched to more spring/summer type clothing , polo shirt and fleece jacket when going outside.
The sun is just about to arise looking out of my window, and looking across at the Brackley Town Hall weather vane, there is bit of brightness on it.
Yesterdays walk saw the bus I usually catch , and an empty street around 9 yesterday, no passengers for the bus , think they are a big looser , people maybe using them locally but it goes through villages which is a vital link to main town shops.
Mick

hallgreenmiss Mon 06-Apr-20 16:42:50

Sunday between 8&9am I looked and listened out of the window. Apart from birdsong there was silence, almost unheard of as I live close to the A1.

Missiseff Sun 05-Apr-20 18:13:28

Thank you for your birthday wishes everyone x MrF is now cooking a lamb dinner smile

NanKate Sun 05-Apr-20 17:44:42

? Missiseff.

Taichinan Sun 05-Apr-20 16:55:52

Happy Birthday Missiseff!

NanKate Sun 05-Apr-20 15:51:13

Afternoon Mick and All.

A belated call in from a sunny South Bucks. I have lost all sense of time and days, just like a prisoner. I shall have to start scratching the days on the wall until release. ?

gillybob Sun 05-Apr-20 15:18:09

Happy Birthday Mississeff enjoy your cake and champagne flowers

Well done Mistereff smile

dragonfly46 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:35:52

Happy Birthday Missiseff

Sark Sun 05-Apr-20 14:13:38

Happy Birthday Missiseffwine

gma Sun 05-Apr-20 13:34:18

Just telephoned local small garden centre and they are delivering my grow bags and compost tomorrow! Thanks so much chaps, really appreciated! Now I can press on with gardening!! Very quiet here , no traffic noise at all. We are constantly watching a pair or blue tits renovate a very old bird box! They are so industrious and provide endless entertainment for us!! Blackbirds are too tame for their own good! Watch out guys there was a sparrow hawk sitting on fence a short time ago! More interesting than tv!!
Keep in and keep safe!! from Norwich

Grandmafrench Sun 05-Apr-20 13:10:32

Well done, Mr Eff what a ✨. Have a safe and very Happy Birthday ?

Missiseff Sun 05-Apr-20 13:04:50

Crikey, some of you are early risers! It's my Birthday today so will be eating some of the first cake my husband's ever made and drinking champagne

Taichinan Sun 05-Apr-20 12:43:48

Sorry, just had to come back in to say DD's raised £800 now!!! There's some good in these hard times!

Taichinan Sun 05-Apr-20 12:36:28

Good not-too-long-after Morning everyone. Was determined to get in here while the day was still reasonably young. Not lazy though - mowed the last area of grass, fed the fish and am topping up the pond at present. It's hazy grey here on the Angus coast, with a wicked wind blowing. Actually it's not too different from the winter just passed, just a few degrees warmer, so will not complain. DD is climbing Snowdon for charity today - on her stairs! 301 times up and down!!
She's doing it for the charity WAY (Widowed and Young) which supported her when her DH died suddenly four years ago in June. She now supports it in any way she can, and this morning's effort is so far raising just over £500! She's quite a girl! And she's finished, in just over 2.5 hours. Sorry I'm not responding to others' posts but haven't had time to have a good read through them yet. I do remember from yesterday though that we have another Fifer on board, so welcome! I am an exiled Fifer and lived there until I met my late lovely DH at RAF Leuchars. After that we travelled the world. Anyway, my thoughts as always are with those who are ill or alone and struggling through these hard times. It will pass - and what tales we'll have to tell! ????

Grandmafrench Sun 05-Apr-20 12:15:23

Auntie Flo DM used to suffer the test flights from Filton going out over the Bristol Channel for Mach Speed! So how that china survived on her dresser, heaven knows. You’re so right, it was so narrow. A good friend flew often for business and he says that whereas a big airliner is like a luxury coach, Concorde was more like a beautiful classic car - with some of the discomfort ?. Purplepixie already.......??? .......Santé!

Purplepixie Sun 05-Apr-20 11:47:11

Good morning from a very sunny and nice East Midlands.

The washing is all out and on the line and I’ve just put together a chicken casserole for tea. Sitting in the garden this afternoon with DH. I’m missing the children and grand children so much especially as my DS and family are having a barbecue this afternoon - I would love to go but ............... grrrrrrrrr!

Hope you all have the best day that you can possibly have during these mad times and please stay safe and sane. Love to you all and maybe a G&T later! Xxxxx

Auntieflo Sun 05-Apr-20 11:45:24

GrandmaFrench, I am going to use mum's crocheted cloth. Glad I didn't pass it on to any of the family. Yet.
Our DS was an avionics electronics engineer apprentice at BA and did work on Concorde. We were allowed to have a look inside. It was so narrow, and I have still got the screwdriver he made.
Gilly, so sorry to hear of yet more buggerations for you. But on the bright side, you vented your anger and now have a shiny patio to sit out on.

Jaan12 Sun 05-Apr-20 10:59:00

Good morning from Fife. Typical spring day here. Forecast is for a warmer day so will be in the garden and going for a short walk. Have not decided yet what to have for lunch. Will look in the freezer then decide. Have a good day everyone.

Grandmafrench Sun 05-Apr-20 10:44:44

A late lovely morning to you all. Beechnut Hold tight to your wonderful memories. He’d be so very proud of you ?. I so agree, gilly, my OH says the same thing and this murderous virus isn’t just going to suddenly stop, like a tap’s been turned off. It’s testing and a vaccine we need - and b&#!\¥ soon, PLEASE. In the mighty list of ‘do’s and don’ts or else’ issued by the ?? Government, getting stuff repaired urgently comes high on the list of allowable things here. So a bit of a mystery that you can’t get a repair done. I definitely don’t want anyone in my home now, but when our (retired) roofer came here the other morning (tv aerial detached itself from one side of the chimney) he kept a long way away from us and scampered across our roof in both mask and gloves. All the electrical, gas, water people here are working....but only for emergencies - like yours. No wonder you’re cross (that poor patio, eh ?).

AuntieFlo I have my DM’s embroidered tablecloths for afternoon tea, along with her bone China flowery tea cups and some of my Grandma’s too. Nothing better than setting a table like that for a family get together. We ‘sent Mum up’ for tea on Concorde for her 80th birthday....she talked about it for years and years.

Stay well and strong, everyone. We can do this .........and we will. ??????????

BladeAnnie Sun 05-Apr-20 10:43:57

Good morning from a bright and sunny mid-Notts. We are having a gammon joint today which I'm going to do in the slow cooker. Never done it this way before but it looks so easysmile. Probably in the garden a little bit too. Stay safe and may Sunday be kind d to us all x

Urmstongran Sun 05-Apr-20 10:36:33

Nice?? Meant ‘once’!

Urmstongran Sun 05-Apr-20 10:35:49

Haha! GabriellaG. ... will do nice we are past the proverbial yardarm (which keeps creeping forward - but being sensible it ends earlier too!).

gillybob exactly our thoughts at 4am when we got up to make a cuppa. Once the peak has been reached and we are (globally) allowed out - then what? Another spike in the figures? I suppose it doesn’t do to overthink this at present.

GabriellaG54 Sun 05-Apr-20 10:24:22

Waitrose have NO delivery slots until at least July and at that point, their website doesn't show further dates. Won't let you put anything in your basket unless you book a slot. They say, 'Keep looking', a catch 22 situ.

GabriellaG54 Sun 05-Apr-20 10:17:43

10.15 post to Urmstongran

Nortsat Sun 05-Apr-20 10:17:28

Good morning Mick and the GM team, from a sunny east London, with a lot of bird chatter and birdsong.
Cleaning for us today and the pulled pork from the freezer for supper with a glass of wine.

I have grocery delivery dates for next week and the week after but can’t get anything beyond that. I don’t know if Tesco will ever put a plan in place to prioritise people on the Govt’s list of the vulnerable (which I am on). I know other supermarkets are doing so.

Good thoughts to those in Sick Bay and any wobblers. Have the best day you can ?? (another double flowers day).

gillybob Sun 05-Apr-20 10:16:17

Good morning from the North East coast on this sunny (whatever day it is) morning . The washing is blowing in the breeze and I’m sitting on my newly scrubbed patio enjoying a second cup of tea .

I’m glad I used yesterday’s anger and frustration on something constructive and my little patio looks fresh and clean . I bet my neighbours thought I was a mad woman yesterday as I cursed and scrubbed grin

Tried lots of numbers for gas fitters/plumbers but no one seems to be working . I did get one company who said they would come out and make it safe but they won’t reconnect it . What the hells the point of that I ask you? It already been blanked off so I can’t use it . I think I could do without my oven more than my hob !

It’s getting to be one thing after a bleedin’ other and I’m wondering what on Earth next? Best not go there .

Urmstongran I don’t know how you are coping ? The rules in Spain are so much tighter than here but DH and I were talking last night and we wondered how on Earth this is ever going to change ? We are all virtually prisoners in our own homes and yes the CV figures will come down but they will have to lift the ban at some point and then what? The figures go shooting up? Sorry to be a doom and gloom merchant .

Good for you Beechnut wear that lovely new skirt for your DH and remember all the lovely times you shared together flowers

I do hope you manage to get most of the money back for your DD’s “wedding that wasn’t” Marydoll but I bet there are lots of little things that you bought or paid for without a second thought. What a very sensible plan that the money goes towards the house. Anyone who believes in fate might think this was how it was always supposed to be ? Sorry if that sounds insensitive it wasn’t meant to . Just thinking out loud. smile

Oh my god dragonfly OUCH . I hope your DGD is okay . That sounds so painful. Honestly children, grandchildren, who would have ‘em ? They’re nowt but worry ......answer.... We all would !

Reminds me of when my DGD dropped the heavy concrete parasol base on her little brothers toe resulting in yet another trip to A&E . Why on earth she needed to be under the table I have no idea but that’s kids for you . It got to the point with my 3 older DGC that we were convinced they would have some kind of suspect list at the local hospital.
Seriously I hope she is okay smile

Well I’ve been on typing this post for almost an hour now (with a few distractions) and will have missed so much so I plan to pop back later and catch up.

Thinking about all my lovely Gransnet friends and hoping we all stay well (and sane) during these strange and difficult times.

Love Gillybob xx