Gransnet forums

Chat

The trouble with Gransnet

(70 Posts)
Artdecogran Tue 07-Apr-20 15:39:07

I have been on Gransnet for about a year now and it has not been at all how I expected it to be. My comment is partly prompted by Gransnet asking for people to comment on it. I think I joined it because I needed someone to chat to, to ask questions and get support. Looking back I think I was naive. I have had support and most welcome it was too but that is often countered by unnecessary sniping and harsh comments. Posters often seem to delight at sniping at each other and forgetting the thread theme. It also seems that some famous figures invite nothing but bile and derogatory comments and yet others for no discernible reason can do no wrong. I have thought about the different attitudes and think it’s because I was naively expecting everyone on here to be my friends. After all, we have friends because they mostly share our opinions, have similar interests and have history together. If they disagree it tends to be noted in a subtle caring way. It’s taken a while for me to notice that Gransnet is just a group of people with disparate experiences etc that are not ‘on my side’. I have been reduced to tears by some of the sniping that goes on, not only to myself but to others. Then again that is the trouble with the written word, it is just black and white. I hope you can understand what I am trying to say. I am not criticising as such, just saying what I feel.

Evie64 Wed 08-Apr-20 20:13:24

ArtdecoGran. That's really sad, but I do agree with you. I remember there was one poster in particular who seemed to take delight in being bitchy. Haven't seen her on here for a while which is nice. You just have to feel sorry for these people, they obviously have problems and you know what they say, people with low self esteem project their self hatred onto others to make themselves feel better? Let me reassure you that in my experience, the majority of posters on here are nice like minded people who appreciate that we don't all have the same opinion, buy live and let live.

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 19:50:04

Poppyred
You could join the Maths thread, it's not that difficult
Well yesterday's was.

Marydoll Wed 08-Apr-20 19:48:47

Callistemon, you know that I am a big softie at heart! ?

Tomorrow is another day and a new start. We will see how long you will all last. wink

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 19:46:46

Oh dear, are we both on the naughty step Marydoll?

I've never been on the naughty step with a teacher before.

Gemini17892 Wed 08-Apr-20 19:38:14

No , Gabriella , not that one in Trumpland. Hahha.

Gemini Towers UK is through the wardrobe and down the rabbit hole. ?

Barmeyoldbat Wed 08-Apr-20 19:10:32

I have been on GN for few years and was surprised at the sniping and nasty comments. I try my best to be nice and not make nasty remarks but just now and again I have to let loose and rant. Saying this I have always had some lovely private messages from people and one or two we will remain friends, bit like pen pals.

Marydoll Wed 08-Apr-20 18:42:18

Poppyred, I hope your last post wasn't directed at me. ?

My comment to Castillemon was part of an ongoing bit of fun on the Maths Puzzle thread.

Poppyred Wed 08-Apr-20 17:42:12

That’s the very reason that I asked for a block button yesterday!

Some people are down right nasty and very often just don’t even recognise themselves.

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 17:31:39

oh dear sad

I will try harder.

Marydoll Wed 08-Apr-20 17:29:42

Head troublemaker, more like it! ?

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 17:28:13

Head Girl! grin

Well, I suppose I could be quite good as I would know all the tricks

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 17:26:44

Marydoll don't put me in detention, please

sodapop Wed 08-Apr-20 16:36:48

Careful Callistemon or you will be in detention. Disrupting the class indeed and I had you down as Head Girl. grin

Alishka Wed 08-Apr-20 16:18:05

This is for Artdecogran - what a fabulous name! Artdeco architecture is one of my interestssmile
Thassorl, really!grin

NanaPlenty Wed 08-Apr-20 15:47:16

I like that you can always get others opinions/advice. Sometimes replies aren’t always what,you want to hear but then that’s the nature of asking for others opinions. As it’s on paper rather than face to face you can sort of shut out what you dont want to see or hear . There are always some useful threads and the majority of people on here are lovely.?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Apr-20 15:46:13

Oh marydoll can I put in a note from mum please?? haven’t seemed to have had time lately.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Apr-20 15:45:05

I’ve been on GN since it started - so for years.

I was amazed at the nastiness to begin with. I had no idea people behaved like that, and still find it weird. No one I know ever behaves like some do.

But Iv e learned to live with it and give myself the discipline of never being horrible or replying to unpleasant posts.

Just ignore it. If you don’t feed the fire it goes out.

They sit back and enjoy the ride.

Marydoll Wed 08-Apr-20 15:42:41

Callistemon, so that's where you are getting your inspiration from, when you disrupt my marvellous maths class!

Nortsat Wed 08-Apr-20 15:28:57

Artdecogran, I am sorry that you have been upset by some of the attitudes and posts on GN.
I too have been participating for about a year. I have enjoyed engaging with a number of the topics, posting and responding.

I have also had one or two unpleasant posts directed at me. I tend to avoid posts from certain GNs and avoid contentious threads. I am very interested in politics but generally don’t read/post on those threads.

My advice is to join Mick’s lovely Good Morning thread, which is always kind and warm, don’t get involved in the adversarial threads and don’t take the sniping too seriously. ?

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 15:12:58

Naughty?
Us?
shock

(I watched Malory Towers last night, can you tell?)

sodapop Wed 08-Apr-20 15:11:30

But always the naughty girls ( and boys)

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 15:03:31

Anyone for a midnight feast?
Keep it under your hat, girls

?‍?

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 15:00:38

Don't forget our very own Maths teacher extraordinaire Megs36!!

And the Dinner ladies with their hints, tips and recipes.
And the school gardeners, we are often out in force.

annep1 Wed 08-Apr-20 14:53:09

Interesting analogy Megs. I'm definitely in the lower school. ?

Megs36 Wed 08-Apr-20 14:00:43

Interesting comments. I sometimes think GN is like school, there’s the HeadTeacher and her Deputy, then comes Matron, followed by Pastoral care and Physical exercise teachers, all the others take their places followed by the Head Girl and Prefects next,many of us are just ‘pupils’ in Lower School. Oh and then of course somewhere the Caretaker lurks..
I occasionally post but rarely get any kind of comments or come back, like life those with the most confidence and loudest voices get noticed.