Gransnet forums

Chat

Strange things you have lurking in your handbag ?

(111 Posts)
Swizzywhiz Wed 08-Apr-20 00:08:11

My handbag is usually a mess, filled with receipts, hankies, hair clips and all the usual rubbish but I’ve just found something unusual at the bottom of it.
Half a cooked fish finger !
No idea how it got there or how long it’s been there !
Anybody else had a visit from the fish finger fairy ?

JuliaM Wed 08-Apr-20 13:35:00

My husband once pulled a frilly suspenders belt out of his tool bag at work one day, l suspect one of our teenagers had planted it there at the time as an April fools joke, but no one would own upto it. He was working as a joiner in an office full of ladies at the time, who thought it was highly amusing, and teased him all day as to who the owner might be!

jocork Wed 08-Apr-20 13:17:51

When my son was a student he mislaid his student railcard. It eventually turned up after falling in a friends handbag while she was at our house. He also once lost it and I found it in the recliner mechanism of our sofa! I think he takes better care of things these days!

Madbird Wed 08-Apr-20 13:14:00

This prompted a memory from when my children were very young. We used to frequent a certain cafe which allowed Pushchairs and all the accompanying paraphernalia. After one such visit, on our return home I was emptying my bag and found...salt and pepper pots and a vinegar bottle! My oldest son, aged five at the time owned up, saying “I like them and I thought you would like them” ?

GabriellaG54 Wed 08-Apr-20 13:03:24

Lumping not jumping hmm

GabriellaG54 Wed 08-Apr-20 13:02:33

Hmm, I'm not one for jumping around those holdall/carryall/shoulder-aching accessories which most women seem to live with when they are out, besides a smaller handbag and perhaps a carrier bag.
Keys, cards (only those I plan to use on the day) a couple of paper tissues and mobile...often not even that.
All fit into a thin cross body bag or a money belt.
I leave the kitchen sink in the kitchen. ??

Mollygo Wed 08-Apr-20 13:00:58

I have such a small handbag I was convinced that nothing extra would fit in it, but I once went home with my daughter’s Amazon Firestick control.
I was so puzzled until my DGS told my DD that he’d put it there to stop his sister changing what he was watching, not realising that he wouldn’t be able to work it at all without it.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:58:57

Great idea HPO2

maryhoffman37 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:50:37

I'm just amazed you didn't smell the fish finger before you found it!

Sueki44 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:44:49

As a teacher I always kept a spare piece of chalk in the zipped compartment of my bag - just in case I was in a classroom without any. One day I retrieved it and was gesticulating to the group of fifteen year olds in front of me to emphasise some point, only to realise I was waving a tampon.....mortifying!

Madmaggie Wed 08-Apr-20 12:35:02

About three million years ago when I was a St John first aider ladies were required to carry a mini first aid kit in their handbags, I always had large handbags as a result! I also carried a roll of insulation tape and a pocket size resus face mask. Amazing how many times the kit & the tape came in handy. When asked to inspect the first aid kits carried by the young cadets (small pouches on their belts) one young lad had stashed several mars bars in his, nothing else just mars bars) I just grinned and moved rapidly on....

Sheila11 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:18:28

Talking of kipper sukiedimes, years ago, our wardrobe mistress collected all the costumes at the end of a production. Said costumes were then deposited in the costume department. Months later, opening the door, the smell was awful!
My daughter had put the remains of her smoked mackerel in what she thought was a bin bag! It was of course a bag of costumes.

Happysexagenarian Wed 08-Apr-20 12:17:19

I once took my purse out of my bag in a shop and found half a slice of jammy toast firmly stuck to it, courtesy of youngest son, it must have been there at least 4 days. Same son also put toast in the video recorder.

curlilox Wed 08-Apr-20 12:02:22

I once put some dog chews I had bought in my handbag. Strangely when I remembered to put them away, there was only an empty paper bag there. Dog looked a bit guilty. grin

HillyN Wed 08-Apr-20 12:01:26

It reminds me of an incident my friend told me years ago. She was busy at church and the vicar needed to sign some papers. He asked her if he could borrow a pen. Distracted, she rummaged around in her handbag and handed him what she thought was a pen. It was a tampon! blush

Jan5954 Wed 08-Apr-20 11:57:07

We went out for supper once ..and l sneakily wrapped up a piece of Stilton cheese from the cheeseboard...but couldn’t finish and popped it in my handbag.
Fast forward 2 weeks and people were giving me funny looks whenever we went out and whenever l sat in the chair at home with my handbag next to me ...l kept thinking what the heck was that smell ??
Eventually, after checking everything else in sight, l decided to check my bag only to find the now very very stinky Stilton all still neatly wrapped up in a serviette at the bottom of my fairly deep bag.
My bag had to be cleaned and disinfected and left out in the garage for almost 3 weeks before it was safe to go near it!
I would have thrown the bag away ..but l like my Radley handbags and they’re not cheap!

grannypiper Wed 08-Apr-20 11:51:47

I remember going through security at Heathrow having just arrived from Belfast, the Guard asked to check my bag, he put his hand in had a rummage, withdrew his hand to find it was covered in play doh and jelly tots.

annodomini Wed 08-Apr-20 11:49:28

I once found the remains - almost mummified - of a banana in the handbag I use for travelling. Strangely, no smell had alerted me to its presence.

SueWll Wed 08-Apr-20 11:47:54

I worked in a Young Offenders Institute. One day I noticed a tent peg in my handbag!!! An 8 inch long piece of metal in a prison. I could have been put in jail. That was a nerve racking trip back to my car dreading being searched. Phew!

Gransooz Wed 08-Apr-20 11:44:19

Years ago when I smoked, I was getting ready to go to work. I lifted my bag to put my cigarettes in and there, snuggled into the lining that he had chewed up, was our hamster! We had blamed each other a few times for leaving his cage open but found eventually that he had learned how to open it himself and escape! Imagine if I had just lifted my bag, closed it and left. ??

Nannan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 11:43:12

Oh dear Sheba,im afraid id have ordered a new,expensive,bag & made hubby pay for it! He wouldnt have done it again! grin

SueLindsey Wed 08-Apr-20 11:42:10

I was looking after my grandaughter at her house one day when I saw her heading towards the DVD player with a piece of cardboard. I shouted "NOOOO!" but didn't manage to stop her in time. We never did manage to get it out so they ended up having to buy a new one. DD and SL were very nice about it though!

Blinko Wed 08-Apr-20 11:37:46

Hilarious! Just what I need in these grim times. This thread has made my day!

slimglyn6 Wed 08-Apr-20 11:37:29

When a teenager, returned home to nana’s after quite enthusiastic goodnight kissing with boyfriend when a mouse ran out of my bag. Nana was terrified of mice! blush

Nannan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 11:35:34

Every day without fail id find a none or half eaten big biscuit or chocolate brownie or sandwich in my youngest sons blazer pocket from school lunch,along with the pile of crumbs! I used to have to empty crumbs outside before i washed it at weekends! I thought it would end after he left high school,but no,now hes at college,i still find em in hoody pockets toohmmgrin

Nannan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 11:26:54

I once had to use a public phone box when out (must have been between phones) and i cancelled to get money back,put my hand in and came out with half a cold cooked sausage that was in it!! Urgh! My 2 boys were only young then& couldnt stop laughing! grin(and no,it weren't even theirs!!)