Gransnet forums

Chat

Oh no......I may have to iron!! (

(17 Posts)
Purpledaffodil Wed 08-Apr-20 13:16:38

Just done a week’s worth of ironing listening to the last part of the Cromwell trilogy on BBC Sounds. Almost didn’t notice I was doing it ?
My mother in law never ironed. She used to put sheets under her cushion and sit on them to watch TV. ?

lemongrove Wed 08-Apr-20 13:09:28

DD1 never does any ironing ( it explains her crumpled look)?
I wait until I have a basket worth of stuff to do then listen to the radio and get on with it.

Froglady Wed 08-Apr-20 12:39:48

Only time my iron comes out of hibernation is when it gets Pat tested each year. Moved into a new flat over 20 years ago and swore I was never going to iron again, and I haven't!

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 08-Apr-20 11:53:11

I’ve just finished mine, I enjoy it as well.....

My cleaner is working from home, she contacts me on FaceTime and tells me how to clean each room and where to find the equipment........

Brunette10 Wed 08-Apr-20 11:30:56

Well here's one who enjoys ironing. It's a domestic chore that allows your mind to wander as it is such an easy task to do. The time passes very quickly but I never let my ironing get too much that 15 mins completes the job for normal. smile

GrannyGravy13 Wed 08-Apr-20 11:19:08

KateK I have had to get reacquainted with my iron and ironing board, I actually found it very soothing confused

I do miss my lovely cleaner though, I only hope she will not be disappointed by my cleaning grin

Katek Wed 08-Apr-20 11:09:36

elegran my grandmother used to do that very thing! You took your life in your hands walking along a very lumpy hall runner! She also used to fold bed sheets and place them under the mattress to press them along with my uncles’ trousers!

glammanana Wed 08-Apr-20 11:00:13

I had to go and find my iron a couple of days ago to iron my bedding and pillowcases drastic measures for me to plug in the "hissy thing" I have 3 bed sets that all match my curtains so had to do the business or my bedroom would be mismatched and that will never do.

CraftyGranny Wed 08-Apr-20 10:52:19

I hate ironing with a passion, so I don't, unless absolutely necessary.
I think of it as doing my bit for the ozone layer! wink

CherryCezzy Wed 08-Apr-20 10:50:51

Oh dear, please please keep what I've said about my WP secret, he'd be mortified if he knew I've told you?

CherryCezzy Wed 08-Apr-20 10:46:58

Don't do it!?
I've got an excuse as it's dangerous for me to do because I have epilepsy and have seizures where I carry out actions automatively but am not aware that I am doing so. We have a clothes press which is kept upstairs which on occasion (though not exactly often ?) my wonderful partner has been known to use.
I don't know why but he always seems to manage to look a bit more crumpled than I do?! He likes to dress quite smart, yet ...??

Elegran Wed 08-Apr-20 10:45:34

Under the carpet works even better,as you walk over it daily (vey old hint). It is a good idea to lay brown paper above and below it, though, or it needs to be washed again before it is worn.

GagaJo Wed 08-Apr-20 10:37:57

I'm with you Pantglas2. No iron. No ironing board. NEVER EVER.

Sometimes things need flattening out a bit. I fold them and put them in a drawer.

EllanVannin Wed 08-Apr-20 10:36:48

I'd rather have one of those presses, the type that are used in the laundry.

Pantglas2 Wed 08-Apr-20 10:36:22

Surely not.....times will never be that bad!

Shelmiss Wed 08-Apr-20 10:33:05

I’m with you Katek - I even bought an iron and ironing board last week as we didn’t own one! Did the ironing and didn’t hate it as much as I thought but I will definitely be having my ironing lady back when all this has finished.

First world problems and all that grin

Katek Wed 08-Apr-20 10:23:43

Haven’t ironed in years, I have a very nice ironing lady who does a wonderful job. Neither of us can now get out to deliver the basket so looks as if I’m going to be forced into doing it!
Do I even still own an iron? grin

(Please do not jump on me with ‘if that’s all you have to worry about’ comments. This is meant to be a lighthearted thread in the midst of our current troubles!!)