Gransnet forums

Chat

Anybody planted their bulbs in the garden yet

(9 Posts)
BlueBelle Mon 20-Apr-20 18:32:57

It’s cold here but my gladioli are showing through the soil I ve put my sweet pea and black eyed Susan in Lupins are about three inch high in the garden and Delphinum in leaf about a foot high verbiscum and foxglove about 6 inches or more so all doing well in these freezing winds
I ve put some courgettes out and radishes coming through
Sweet corn, love in a mist and more sweet peas starting off in the conservatorie

EllanVannin Mon 20-Apr-20 18:21:50

It's supposed to be getting a bit warmer as we go through the week----it needs to and all, it's bitterly cold here in the NW with that flippin' wind, which isn't growing weather really.
Even the plants have to be shielded.

EllanVannin Mon 20-Apr-20 18:18:52

You'll have to mind they don't get too lanky indoors Elizabeth1

Elizabeth1 Mon 20-Apr-20 17:59:04

It’s really quite lovely to see little sprouting seedlings inside the house in a pot reaching out towards the sunshine I’ve had to turn the bowl around for the seedlings to face and bend the other way they're indoor seedlings so I’m watching how they progress it’s really lovey to watch their growth. The plants outside are also starting to peep out from the earth we did lose about eight plants from that blooming cold weather however the rest have taken a good hold smile

shysal Thu 09-Apr-20 10:54:59

I have planted my gladioli in fortnightly batches for succession of flowering. Not showing through yet, but some have been dug up, possibly by squirrels.
I have many plug plants, which I have moved on into pots or cells, and some haven't even been delivered yet. T&M have them down for delivery end of March (ordered before the virus), but probable delay due to heavy demand now. I shall not plant them out until after the likelihood of frost, probably early May. They are in a mini greenhouse and indoors.

Callistemon Thu 09-Apr-20 10:30:07

It's lovely here today and yesterday was really warm.

However, it can suddenly change in April, I can remember when we have had snow at Easter further south than you, Elizabeth

DH always likes to wait until the soil has warmed up before planting out or putting in bean seeds etc.

I think I posted before that I was confused why your DH was planting bulbs as autumn is the time to plant them - I was thinking of spring bulbs of course.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:29:39

We don’t plant plugs outdoors until early May as we get sharp frosts, it always amazed me that the nurseries are jammed over Easter with people laden with plants, then a week later we are down to -3 degrees of frost.
We are in Southish Oxfordshire, when we travel further South the temperature gauge in the car is usually 2 degrees warmer than at home, my in-laws have already planted theirs out, but we are impatient!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:18:57

Do you mean gladioli?

If so yes and many are showing shoots.

I live in the South East and it is 20+ today.

Elizabeth1 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:17:38

My dh has not yet planted the lovely new plugs in the garden He says it’s too cold and it really is quite cold with that wind. He does bring them out from the shed for a little while during the day to give them a little sunshine and they’ve fairly taken a hold in their little pots. I’m looking forward to them going into the garden then seeing them flower anyone else planting their bulbs I believe the south of England have been getting warm weather it doesn’t happen here in Bonny Scotland until later on in the year