Gransnet forums

Chat

Oh to be young fit and agile.

(11 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 12-Apr-20 16:15:55

Today started all wrong!!! Got on the scales and have put on nearly 2kg!!!! Then we have been hanging wallpaper. We had to remove tv from wall bracket. Who knew how difficult that would be. Two screws had to be removed before it could happen. Could we find the right screwdriver!!! Then we remembered someone had put it up for us but of course we couldn't call on them for help due to social distancing. I keeled down with great difficulty to see if I could help and couldn't get up without crawling to the sofa to hold onto. Then dh tried he got down ok but the effort made his breathing hard, he has copd, we resulted in me fetching a chair and his inhaler. It took us from 10am till 30p to hang 4 strips of paper then we had to stop. My back killing me, hubbie exhausted with climbing up and down steps etc. He is now lying down to recover I am resting on sofa. Tomorrow we will attempt another go. Good job were on lockdown as it might take us the full 12 weeks to finish!!!! Lolsmile

travelsafar Sun 12-Apr-20 16:16:49

3pm not 30

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 16:21:05

travelsafar! Don't wear yourselves out or make yourselves ill or have an accident. The last place you want to be at the moment is hospital.

I think DH is realising his limits regarding this garden. I realised mine years ago but he wouldn't listen.

AGAA4 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:22:37

You are brave travelsafar. I just get someone to decorate for me. Good luck and I hope it all goes well and Take Care!

Scentia Sun 12-Apr-20 17:52:03

Take it easy Travelsafar. there is no rush. Just do a few strips each day and rest plenty. We have to spread these jobs out or we may run out of things to do!!

Grandmafrench Sun 12-Apr-20 18:04:00

Don't worry, you've been there, done that, got the Tee shirt. Now you're in the age of "spirit is willing but......."

I laughed at your predicament but not unkindly, only because it's the sort of madness that I get into on a regular basis. Sometimes you have to set the clock so you S T O P before you keel over. Forget about finishing, you have an indefinite period of time before you are set free again and you don't want a little hospital diversion in the middle of all of that. Just enjoy your lie down....you've both earned it. Maybe start again tomorrow - or even the next day. grin

EllanVannin Sun 12-Apr-20 18:32:34

Oh gosh, that was hilarious----so sorry but a picture built up in my mind and my laughing took over. It could well be hysterics the way things are.

Take it easy. Time for a rest.

BlueSky Sun 12-Apr-20 19:33:19

In our case one of us needs to be fit and able at all times before the other gives in to ailments! This is because we haven't got any backup, no family or friends nearby.

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 19:35:50

I went through the hysterics phase, EllanVannin

Now I'm in the "no idea what day or date it is" phase and I am rather upset that I missed someone's birthday.

Swizzywhiz Mon 13-Apr-20 11:19:45

Oh how I know the feeling of being over the hill in relation to decorating !
My husband can’t do any and my son is disabled so through lack of funds it’s down to me.
I’ve just finished the front room and the hall.
I did two drops of wallpaper a day after doing the painting. It took me three weeks including rest days.
I close my eyes now to the bits I’ve missed at the bottom of the skirting boards, the dimply bits where I didn’t get all the air bubbles out and the piece that didn’t stick properly I see whenever I open the kitchen door smile When all this virus thing is over I’ll go mad with the extra strong edge sticker I intend to buy.
I’ve hung a picture over the mankiest bit of my wallpapering and my big pot plants have come in handy for hiding other horrors ! But I felt I’d achieved something when I finished it, that I’d shaken a fist at decrepitude smile

Elegran Mon 13-Apr-20 11:43:02

I have only tried wallpapering once - luckily while pasting the paper as assistant to DH I had picked up a lot of the essential four-letter words to use while doing it, so my vocabulary was wide enough to get me through it.