Gransnet forums

Chat

LOL? REALLY?

(17 Posts)
phoenix Sun 12-Apr-20 20:17:15

Hello all, good wishes.

I'm getting a bit hmm about "LOL", as in "laugh out loud".

Example, on our village Facebook page, someone posted "Plz tell me is it still minimum £10 to pay on ya card? Only need pasta! Lol! " (Spellings as seen!)

LOL? Really, you were actually laughing out loud? Why?

I hate to think how you might respond to something that was truly funny!

Perhaps WML (wet myself laughing) or, if something was only mildly amusing, TAB, (tittered a bit)

FoghornLeghorn Sun 12-Apr-20 20:20:37

I agree. Worse still, I’ve heard a couple of people actually say LOL at the end of a sentence. Idiots.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 12-Apr-20 20:21:52

I’m always reminded of a mother who texted her son and the rest of her family with details of her fathers funeral, ending each text with lol, when her son told her it mean laugh out loud and not lots of love she was horrified and had to sent apologetic texts to everybody.
I don’t usually use abbreviations (only on GN) and didn’t know about the 2 that you used!

GrannyLaine Sun 12-Apr-20 20:21:55

Fair point phoenix though LOL can also mean 'lots of love'

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 20:24:23

Actually, I have been thinking about you, phoenix.

I made a pie. Yet to be sampled.
With whatever I had, so it is apple and strawberry with short crust pastry.
It could have a soggy bottom.

Sorry, back to the question. Some people are very odd and don't know what is appropriate.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 12-Apr-20 20:26:16

Callistemon my very favourite pie is .....Pie! Of any sort.
Sadly today we didn’t have any pie.?

Mogsmaw Sun 12-Apr-20 20:34:04

I’ve considered why I think LOL is “lots of love” when the kids use it to mean “laugh out loud”.
It’s because I think of texting and posting as letters, written communication so I’d never write “I’m laughing” but that’s funny or it made me laugh, something like that.
The younger generation see it as sort if subtitles to a spoken conversation so lol is a description of them laughing.

Jomarie Sun 12-Apr-20 20:34:57

My daughter made her very first pie today (ie made her own pastry) at the ripe old age of 42 !! She and I are very proud grin Her ambition in life was not to turn out like her mother - aah well grin "needs must when the devil drives"

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 22:11:40

It did not have a soggy bottom!

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 22:12:52

David Cameron thought it meant " Lots of love"

BradfordLass73 Sun 12-Apr-20 22:54:39

LOL? Haha!

phoenix Mon 13-Apr-20 10:42:22

You see other daft examples "Went shopping and forgot to buy milk, LOL!"

if that really did make them laugh out loud, then there's probably a village somewhere that's wondering why their idiot has been absent lately!

MawB Mon 13-Apr-20 10:46:39

Absolutely Phoenix - you did make me do more than TAB

Grannylaine you might mean Lots Of Love - but it doesn’t mean it - honest! sad

Lucca Mon 13-Apr-20 10:48:11

I am constantly amazed at the things that apparently make people “cry with laughter “. Or be “in stitches”. Or indeed LOL.

GrannyLaine Mon 13-Apr-20 10:52:19

MawB Who says? cupcake

Callistemon Mon 13-Apr-20 10:53:52

As for Plz and ya card

Well, what can I say except LOL!

vampirequeen Mon 13-Apr-20 12:16:26

lol helps the reader to get an idea of the intonation. "I forgot the milk lol" suggests that it's not a disaster whereas "I forgot the milk sad suggests it was a disaster. I don't see a problem with it tbh