Gransnet forums

Chat

A&E at weekends

(23 Posts)
Jane10 Tue 14-Apr-20 13:28:08

I wonder if A&E is now quieter especially at weekends due to the lockdown. Fewer alcohol fuelled accidents and fights etc. I hope so anyway it would be a small relief for staff.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 14-Apr-20 13:44:59

When I was taken in a couple of weeks ago it was totally calm. Far different to other times when it has been heaving with people. In fact if there hadn’t been a few prisoners (in manacles) (I’ve no idea why they were there- I tried listening couldn’t hear??) attending it would have been half empty.

Jane10 Tue 14-Apr-20 13:54:03

Well that's something good to have come out of all this anyway. I suppose that's what A&E was like before alcohol fuelled behaviour became the norm.

SueDonim Tue 14-Apr-20 14:19:54

I saw recently that they’re having about 70% of their normal traffic. The hospital my dd was working in until recently is deserted. It’s not taking CV patients, who get sent to a much bigger hospital, and with no elective surgery or out patients, and visitors banned it’s very quiet and some staff have little to do.

Kalu Tue 14-Apr-20 14:24:24

Thank goodness for small mercies. I worked in A&E in a city hospital and it was like a non stop circus Friday/Sunday. Apart from serious injuries etc. our black humour got us through some of the more ridiculous cases.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 14-Apr-20 14:49:42

The ambulance staff said that they are doing much more triaging when they turn up at someone’s home. In fact they turned up, at 9.30pm and I was the first person that they took to hospital. Not sure how long they’d been on duty.

But perhaps it is a good idea for the future

Nico97 Tue 14-Apr-20 14:52:53

Add to this that A & E's won't be getting used as a drop-in GP surgery either due to folk not going out as normal. It's surprising how many people treat them as such.

Charleygirl5 Tue 14-Apr-20 15:23:17

Some people, especially in London, have not bothered registering with a GP so I wonder what they are doing now?

Jane10 Tue 14-Apr-20 15:46:18

All indicative of future new ways of working ahead.

Oopsminty Tue 14-Apr-20 15:51:01

50% drop in some areas

There is concern that people with real problems such as heart attacks /strokes etc are not going for treatment

Worries about either catching the virus or over stretching the NHS

Whitewavemark2 Tue 14-Apr-20 15:54:24

I was worried about catching the virus, but was persuaded by the ambulance crew.
A&E was relaxed and efficient so I also relaxed once I got there. Still here to tell the tale as well, so didn’t catch it there unless I’m asymptomatic?

NanTheWiser Tue 14-Apr-20 16:46:32

I imagine road traffic accidents have reduced too, apart from those few tearaways ripping up the quiet roads. Although, having said that, there was a tragic fatal accident near me last week, maybe drivers are being less attentive now.

GabriellaG54 Tue 14-Apr-20 18:06:56

Prisoners are taken for a variety of reasons from X-rays to dislocated jaws to scheduled Cat scans... anything, just like anyone else.
It would not have been C-19.
Handcuffs, not manacles.
Alkies and users are the bane of A&E at any time.
If you haven't already seen it, the 'emergency can I help you prog' (don't know the actual title) is an eye opener. Obvs made before C-19 but boy, I don't envy the paramedics. One boss of a well known company had had a skinful and urinated and defecated in his pants which went on the medics uniform.
Another was vomitting all over the pavement and himself. Ugh!! Many were homeless and most were regulars.
That's where our taxes go.
I dislike people who can't hold their drink and drink to oblivion.
TG my ex and current OH don't drink alcohol nor do 3 of my children.
It's a sad day when you reach for a bottle to forget or just lose your sense of reason.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 14-Apr-20 18:15:03

No it definitely wasn’t cv as the A&E was completely in half with notices everywhere and needing a card key to get into the covid side.

Whatever they are called the handcuffs were quite disconcerting, and the wearers would not be someone who you met on a dark night, or any time really.

heath480 Tue 14-Apr-20 18:18:54

Our local hospital has a Facebook page,photo at the weekend of the A and E Staff beckoning,they want patients because hardly anybody is going!

heath480 Tue 14-Apr-20 18:31:42

GABRIELLAG54.You sound a lovely human............not!!!

I am an Alcoholic in Recovery,17 years,I am also a Retired Nurse.

Go and educate yourself about Alcoholism,it is an illness,not a lifestyle choice!!! It is recognised as an illness by the World Health Organisation.

No doubt you know better than the experts.

And of course prisoners in A and E could have the Coronavirus!!,

Humans like you are one of the reasons the World is such an unpleasant place these days.

I nursed any person that crossed my path with compassion,kindness and professionalism.

Delighted you have an Alcohol free family,you sound delighted,doubt anybody else could care less.

BlueSky Tue 14-Apr-20 18:48:24

My DH had to visit A&E on Saturday morning and believe me it was the last place I wanted him to go. Anyway at 9am there were just him and another person! Normally it would have been a nightmare with night ravellers helping to swell the number of patients!

EllanVannin Tue 14-Apr-20 18:53:08

When I worked on reception in the maternity department we had a patient brought in from a prison who was in labour---complete with handcuffs. I felt so sorry for her but all involved obviously knew what they were doing. The woman was then handcuffed to a bed. How awful, eh ? She was taken back to prison with baby not long after the birth---a quick in and out. 2 Officers were with her.

Another time when training we had a male prisoner brought in onto the ward and he was also handcuffed to the bed which had cot-sides and all you could hear were his struggles against the metal sides. We, females weren't allowed to attend to him.

Drugs and mental health problems still keep some A&E's ticking over as well as gun and knife injuries. It depends on the areas crime ratio. Towns/cities will always remain areas of crime.

GabriellaG54 Tue 14-Apr-20 18:56:55

heath480
So sorry you found my post 'offensive'.
Drug addiction must also be an illness, however, both alcohol and drugs start out as recreational 'activities' and not illnesses, ergo, they are under the control of the user, then comes the dependency.
The user lets the use get out of hand for a multitude of reasons.
Whatever you choose to call it, an 'illness' or a dependency or anything else...I think it and drugs are the ugly side of our society and the weekenders who binge drink and waste A&E/paramedic's time are a disgrace.
Note, I was referring to the drinkers who just don't know when to say no when on a day/night out or going on holiday...drunk before even boarding the plane.

Jane10 Tue 14-Apr-20 19:57:20

When my mother was in hospital with a detached retina she was appalled to have a prisoner (make) in the next bed complete with handcuffs and guard. Prisoners have problems too.

Jane10 Tue 14-Apr-20 19:57:42

Male! Not make.

EllanVannin Tue 14-Apr-20 20:03:42

How is it that alcoholics aren't treated the same way as smokers ? Mention being a smoker and you're immediately classed as a pariah, yet alcoholics attract sympathy ?

I'm a smoker btw.

GabriellaG54 Tue 14-Apr-20 21:42:04

Smoking isn't an illness, according to some, it's a lifestyle choice.
I don't agree.
People can, IMUO, turn to alcohol, drugs and/or smoking for a variety of reasons, some of which could be influenced by factors in their childhood, adult relationships, social situations or linked to work or financial stresses.
Self harm, anorexia, bulimia and obesity could also come under the same umbrella as could overdosing in prescription drugs.
All require willpower which has to start with the person concerned.
No-one else has the power to free you from the habit.
The Student Room has some very persuasive arguments re drink and drug use/behaviour.
You cannot have an 'I'll start tomorrow' attitude.
Unfortunately, as EllanVannin points out, smokers are treated differently although heavy smokers (of which I doubt she is one) do need as much NHS time as the others mentioned above, yet are told just to stop, which is as useless as asking a drug user to or a drinker to go cold turkey, definitely not advisable.
Most heavy users (or abusers of their own bodies) are liars which makes them harder to help. They cannot admit to themselves, the damage they are doing and nagging, for the most part, does nothing to aid their recovery.
It's a sad world when people rely on such crutches to live what they come to think of as a normal life, instead of enjoying moderate drinking and not 'craving' yet another glass/can or cigarette.
I've known husband and wife to lie to each other about the money they spend on drink and cigarettes and heated arguments and crying ensue after stashes are discovered or receipts come to light.
Not good. sad