Gransnet forums

Chat

Any ideas

(7 Posts)
BlueBelle Tue 14-Apr-20 16:44:51

I m bored with being “vulnerable” when the only thing wrong with me is I m 75 I still have my marbles I still have my abilities but I m sitting here degenerating when I believe I could be useful I know I can’t go out so I don’t mean that
I don’t knit or sew I don’t have a sewing machine or needles and wool to even try but is there anything that anyone’s heard of that I could do to help, during this stale period ?
It’s this enforced ‘only me to look after’ that’s doing my head in
Any ideas ?

M0nica Tue 14-Apr-20 16:51:46

Bluebelle, I so agree. I am 77 with a clean bill of health and a volunteer by nature, but I can't because my age makes me 'vulnerable'.

I do some shopping for a friend in the 'shielded' group, but that is it. DH is still working (from home), so he is purposefully using his time.

I have more than enough to keep me occupied, Gardening, decorating, needlework, several research projects. But I do miss not doing something useful for other people. I do hope someone can share some ideas.

kittylester Tue 14-Apr-20 16:58:31

There is a need for companionship phone calls. The RVS might be the place to look.

pensionpat Tue 14-Apr-20 17:03:34

I too would love to be in the thick of volunteers helping the community. I’m neither elderly nor vulnerable. I’m missing my normal fund-raising activities. The only things I can do are to stay at home, and to keep phoning/texting friends who live alone. I appreciate my good fortune in being part of a couple.

ninathenana Tue 14-Apr-20 17:21:57

I was going to suggest the same as kitty

BlueSky Tue 14-Apr-20 17:39:20

I refuse to believe I'm 'elderly' just because I'm 70. But I'm taking it seriously so no more supermarket shopping, don't not meet anybody. Like others lucky to be in a happy relationship, the highlight of the day is our hour walk round the village, up and down the lanes, we hardly meet anybody else. Hoping this won't be scrapped.

Ilovecheese Tue 14-Apr-20 17:52:34

Some of the groups that are doing practical things need someone to administrate and co ordinate.
For example, the group I am with that are sewing scrubs etc. for the NHS. We are all keen sewers but fall down a bit with the organisation of matching the requests to each hospital and surgery etc, making sure that we each have the correct materials.

So that even if you can not say, go shopping for others yourself, may be some of the shoppers could do with administrative help to make sure they are not duplicating journeys etc. You could be a focal point from home.

Perhaps you could offer that sort of help to local groups?