Gransnet forums

Chat

Is lockdown getting to me?

(46 Posts)
GrandmasueUK Wed 15-Apr-20 17:19:09

I just asked my OH if he wanted mashed potato with his. He was quite confused until I realised that I'd actually had the majority of the conversation in my mind, and only spoke the last bit! The mash is to go with the sausages, of course. He should have known that obviously grin

Daddima Fri 17-Apr-20 16:52:56

Here’s more ;

Daddima Fri 17-Apr-20 16:48:56

I posted this on the previous page, but here it is again

sarahanew Fri 17-Apr-20 16:26:16

I can't find the limit anywhere, but 'everyone' seems to know. Someone told me its a twenty minute walk from home. Someone told me it's an hour for a walk, two hours for a bike ride. I've also spoken to someone who went out for five hours on his electric scooter!!! He's 81, hmm, where are the boundaries?

hereshoping Fri 17-Apr-20 09:36:21

I'll second that, Teetime.

Esmerelda Thu 16-Apr-20 16:53:45

I've just spent an exhausting day in the garden so feeling pretty jaded ... but then I thought I'd catch up with Gransnet and this thread has totally lifted my spirits and refreshed me! I've had a jolly good giggle at some of these posts ... keep going, ladies!

Barmeyoldbat Thu 16-Apr-20 15:35:16

I often have often answered Mr B with a completely odd answer because I misheard. Heard today the we can go out to the country for a walk or bike ride and drive there. Just as long as the exercise is longer than the drive. So I now have a map out looking where I can go to cycle that has no hills, and isn't in South Wales . Come to the conclusion I shall stay home and finish my book

vissos Thu 16-Apr-20 15:25:40

I too was wondering where the hour comes from. I'm walking a dog for a neighbour & he's used to much more than one hour. Since it's not a specific time, I'll start taking him on one of his usual walks & not be concerned about the time. We see very few people anyway, and strictly adhere to the 2m rule.

Notsooldat75 Thu 16-Apr-20 15:13:28

I’m embracing my inner slut. Taking the words ‘should’ And ‘ought’ out of my vocabulary.
The advantage of living alone, and no visitors expected!

Greciangirl Thu 16-Apr-20 14:55:12

For heavens sake. It s just common sense.

Go out for a walk, then come back a little later on.

Hopefully we won’t be policed on how much time we’ve spent outside .

BelindaB Thu 16-Apr-20 14:07:43

I carry on long conversations with myself/the dogs. That is my story, anyway.

As I said to my daughter, at least that way I get an intelligent answer.

Laughterlines Thu 16-Apr-20 13:47:22

Oh you lovely ladies. Are we the only nation where we can take the mickey out of ourselves and our loved ones with such humour. You are keeping me going. Carry on it’s the tonic we all need in these difficult times. Sooooooo funny.

Legs55 Thu 16-Apr-20 13:41:54

I am widowed with a cat as company???? My normal routine is to get everything ready for breakfast, make first hot drink of the day then bring milk in (Monday & Friday) & feed cat.

Monday morning I was quietly reading my paper & cat was pestering round me like a bad smell not his normal behaviorconfused

I walked into my bathroom where I feed cat, empty bowl but he's still making a fuss, told him he'd been fed & had a large bowl of biscuits when it dawned on me I'd brought the milk in but not picked his bowl upblush. I promptly fed a very hungry cat about 2 hours lategrin

Funnygran Thu 16-Apr-20 13:25:46

DH does Sudoku puzzles and gets really into them. So I can walk into a room and start to say something to him and realise he isn't listening at all. Then when he finally does listen he hasn't a clue what I was talking about and says what are you on about! Although I have to say that the lockdown is rather scrambling my brain - I often have to think really hard about what day it is. It will be lovely when this is over to go back to a normal routine.

ninathenana Thu 16-Apr-20 13:03:21

I saw a post on FB last night from someone who had stood clapping and cheering at her front door and thought it odd that nobody else was out there. She then realised it was Wednesday !!
Just a little stir crazy maybe.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 16-Apr-20 12:56:33

to the point. Sorry, I clicked post message instead of preview.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 16-Apr-20 12:55:49

Well, I am glad to hear, Jillybird, that I am not the only person married to a man who is excessively fond of pronouns and has forgotten the rule about them referring to an already. mentioned subject.'

We too have conversations like yours.

I've got the point of automatically replying, "No." when DH says something like "Did you see it?" as I never know what "it" is.

MawB Thu 16-Apr-20 12:51:43

Judging by some of the threads and moans I am avoiding on GN these days, it is certainly getting to some people!

Toilet training horses and less than fragrant farms just two threads to lighten my day! smile

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 16-Apr-20 12:42:28

Well I thought I had my head round the lockdown thing but, I was having a sort through my summer clothes (as the weather had been so nice), and thinking about the items I should get rid of as unlikely to wear them again. However, being well aware I can't send them to the charity shop yet, decided to leave them in the wardrobe rather than put them into bags I have nowhere to put for now and falling over them. So far, so good? Come to terms with not going out? Yes? Then sorted through and got out all my casual summer flat shoes ready for everyday wear, and then (and this is the brain-dead bit), made sure I got out some high-heeled 'posh' shoes ready for posh going out occasions! Doh!

narrowboatnan Thu 16-Apr-20 12:42:09

hallgreenmiss you know what day it is? Gosh ...

hallgreenmiss Thu 16-Apr-20 12:17:27

I think the brain fog is similar to that experienced after even a short spell in hospital. Our routines, however flexible, are missing; I find that I have to tell myself what day it is before I get up, (although that can happen even without lockdown). My biggest gap is going to the gym 4-5 mornings a week followed by coffee with friends.

Aepgirl Thu 16-Apr-20 11:59:31

Talking to yourself is even worse. You don't know what nonsense you've been saying.

Jillybird Thu 16-Apr-20 11:13:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Joesoap Thu 16-Apr-20 11:00:02

My Husband starts a conversation and never finishes it,I am not a mind reader, just curious as how the conversation should have ended.

Teetime Thu 16-Apr-20 10:46:11

I'm very thankful my husband hasn't a clue what I'm thinking. grin

LynneH Thu 16-Apr-20 10:44:14

For me, this is no different from normal. I often have whole conversations in my head, and don’t understand why my husband hasn’t followed my thread