Gransnet forums

Chat

What are you missing?

(133 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 16-Apr-20 08:26:56

This is a fun post. Please don't criticise posters for not taking lockdown seriously.

I never thought I'd say this but I'm missing garden centres.

Skweek1 Fri 17-Apr-20 10:07:24

Garden Centre, but being able to just get on bus with DS without having to wait for an hour, going to our creative writing group and having a drink and bite of lunch with his young lady. Not having to wait for up to two months for Amazon to deliver a parcel (or pick one up! - I bought a stationery item which was faulty and I've been waiting for 3 weeks for Hermes pick up arranged by Amazon. When I contact Hermes on-line chat, they tell me that they are waiting for package to arrive; when I try theit tracking service to find out when they are picking it up, I'm being promised "our pick-up driver will collect it today.")

Greyduster Fri 17-Apr-20 09:11:47

Fishing. Mayfly will be hatching soon and my rods are gathering dust in the garage☹️!
Eating out with the family.
Getting my hair cut!
Doing my own shopping, though I am eternally grateful to my son in law for doing it for me.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-Apr-20 09:04:14

I’ve missed two theatre visits☹️

Missed walking in the bluebell woods.

Walking to enjoy spring as it unfolds

Meals out.

Planned excursions to things like the NT and Food fairs etc

Most of our pleasure is taken out of doors. We have a garden
but beginning to feel confined.

Must have a word with myself

Anniebach Fri 17-Apr-20 09:00:57

Missing my weekly chat with Tesco delivery driver.

harrigran Fri 17-Apr-20 08:33:07

I miss dining out at a superb restaurant twenty minutes from us. We are having adequate meals but something a little special lifts the spirits.

Kartush Fri 17-Apr-20 08:22:40

Craft shops

Calendargirl Fri 17-Apr-20 07:32:33

Aquacise, used to try and go three times a week.

GN’ers must be saving a lot of money, as so many seem to be missing lunches, teas and coffee when out.

☕️??

justwokeup Fri 17-Apr-20 01:28:04

I'm missing OH going out with friends grin.

Sussexborn Fri 17-Apr-20 00:16:15

Just the day to day happenings really. Coffee or lunch with OH or friends. Shopping without having to think about isolating in the queue etc etc and wondering what is or isn’t available.

Could hear a toddler wailing when we were sitting in the garden. I felt sorry for whoever was looking after her/him and relieved it wasn’t me.

Sawsage2 Fri 17-Apr-20 00:11:32

My garden centre is open. I think it's because it also sells veg boxes, milk and eggs.

Baloothefitz Fri 17-Apr-20 00:04:43

Nannyhill please don't suffer with your toothache ,you should either contact your own dentist or call 111 who should put you in touch with someone who can help you .

hollysteers Thu 16-Apr-20 23:51:27

Lovely thread and I am comforted by alike we all are in so many ways, missing the small enjoyable things of life.
I missed having no hot cross buns this Easter and think about them a lot? I had just started using my local bus (one an hour) into town only 10 minutes away before lockdown and not worrying about parking the car. Looking forward to using it again, but don’t want to sit next to anybody!

Greengage Thu 16-Apr-20 23:51:16

Physical contact!

Hetty58 Thu 16-Apr-20 23:29:50

I heard my neighbours bickering in their garden. When I saw them outside, I found myself saying how I wished I had somebody to argue with!

GabriellaG54 Thu 16-Apr-20 23:27:25

It's telling, that there is only one person so far who says she misses religious worship.

Rosiebee Thu 16-Apr-20 23:19:40

Hugs with family, obvs
Swimming three times a week
Thurs night with my friend Cath and a glass of wine, putting the world to rights
Wandering round shops
Friday night at our local Chinese / Indian
Saturdays meandering around anywhere
Weds volunteering at local charity bookshop
Church on Sunday
Our Canadian holiday inc 2 days on Rocky Mountaineer sad.
but I know how lucky we are not to have to worry about jobs or being confined without a garden or having to worry about parents. Looking forward so much to getting back to our " normal" life.

GabriellaG54 Thu 16-Apr-20 23:13:04

Sorry...church's not churches

Hetty58 Thu 16-Apr-20 23:10:33

Flounder35, my nephew, who lives in a small house with his wife and two children, was soon feeling claustrophobic and irritated.

He's pitched a tent in the garden and is 'camping' there with the eldest - to give them all some space!

GabriellaG54 Thu 16-Apr-20 23:09:53

Isn't there something in the Bible which says when two or three are gathered together I am there with you...or something like that?
The churches Eucharist is only a symbol of Christ so why not have your own symbol at home. A quiet time praying on your own with a small piece of bread and a sip of wine which, although not consecrated, can be offered up for his silent blessing before you taste.

Lucy2 Thu 16-Apr-20 23:02:38

The part of my life I am missing the most is receiving Jesus in the Holy Eucharist. I love my Church and miss worshiping with my family and friends, but mostly holy communion. You-tube has been great for "attending" virtual mass, but nothing compares to being there.

Narnia Thu 16-Apr-20 22:31:32

My normal "boring' routine life.
And obv my family not living with me and my 2 month old 1st grandchild ?

jerseygirl Thu 16-Apr-20 21:52:59

Oh yes, and my hairdresser!!

jerseygirl Thu 16-Apr-20 21:51:33

Garden centres, freedom, a coffee and a sandwich in town, mooching around the shops. And of course top of the list is my gorgeous grandson !!

ArtySue Thu 16-Apr-20 21:47:19

St Ives...

katie1 Thu 16-Apr-20 21:36:38

Children, grandchildren and freedom