Gransnet forums

Chat

So, if this was a BC ( Before C19 ) Saturday what would you be doing ?

(27 Posts)
NotAGran55 Sat 18-Apr-20 07:00:45

I would be chucking some washing into the machine before going to do the weekly grocery shop in Waitrose.

Lunch and then off to see my beloved football ⚽️ team beat Middlesbrough . Rain or shine I never miss a game and Saturdays are so dull without it sad

Home to celebrate with a glass of wine ? and planning where to go for our usual lunch out on a Sunday ...

Mapleleaf Sat 18-Apr-20 11:53:21

Probably a supermarket shop and butchers, then back for coffee and then out to town or a garden centre for a spot of lunch and browsing, or maybe off to an English heritage
/National trust place for a wander around the gardens.

SalsaQueen Sat 18-Apr-20 11:52:47

I'd have been doing the jobs I'm doing today - washing, ironing, cleaning- but this evening I would have been seeing my friend and going to the pub for a few drinks and to watch a group playing

Willow500 Sat 18-Apr-20 11:07:53

We'd have either gone to the coast for the weekend or out shopping somewhere. As it is we're on groundhog day 259 or whatever !!

SlipperySlope Sat 18-Apr-20 11:04:53

Having stayed overnight at DD's, I'd have been up at the crack of dawn with two lively pre-schoolers, helped dress them, pack up the car and head off to their Dance class. The trip door to door takes an hour, so once they're involved with the teacher I sneak out to the Cafe for a much-needed coffee to drink while I watch them. When the class is finished, help change them into casual clothes and drive to meet Grandad for a late Breakfast/Brunch either at a fast-food place or our local large Supermarket Cafe. Then depending on what DD needs to do, it's either back to our house or DD's and help keep them occupied, entertained, fed and bathed etc (twins both at the potty-training stage so it's pretty non-stop!) When SiL gets back from work, I'll drive home, have a bath and settle down with DH, a glass of wine and whatever he's chosen to cook.
Although I found it tiring now I'm really missing my time with them and as they're too young to understand why we can't have our usual routine, Saturdays are difficult for us all. Roll on release date!

vampirequeen Sat 18-Apr-20 10:36:06

I would have gone out to lunch with my mam whilst DH would be driving to Bradford to pick up my lovely stepson (aged 12). We haven't seen him since lockdown started. Facetime isn't the same as all being together. I'd have cooked chilli or a hot curry for tea because DH and DSS love spicy food and, as I don't have to have an evening meal on a Saturday, I can cater just for them. We'd then plan what we intended to do on Sunday before taking him home. That might have been something like a bike ride, a stately home or just somewhere for a nice, long walk.

goldengirl Sat 18-Apr-20 10:31:46

We'd be having the family around for a light lunch and then spending time clearing up the mess! Really miss them in spite of the online contact. I've got noone to nag except for DH!!!

Lucca Sat 18-Apr-20 10:29:55

I just realised that If I said what I would be doing anyone who happened to be on gransnet and knew me would instantly identify me !,

travelsafar Sat 18-Apr-20 09:41:41

I would have been meeting my beloved sister for coffee and a catchup, then a bit of shopping, a visit to the library then home for a relaxed Saturday afternoon. Sunday would have been a visit to either my daughter and eldest son and his family, or a visit to my middle son and his wife. The youngest lives too far away, so only see him on high days and holidays as a family get together.

Bellanonna Sat 18-Apr-20 09:10:58

Saturday pilates class at 1.00. Then drive into town to do a weekend shop in Waitrose and pick up my freebie paper.
Later on do the Saturday prize crossword. I never finish it in one go, Often takes till the next day. DH and I just spend a quiet evening together so that hasn’t changed much.

Franbern Sat 18-Apr-20 09:10:51

Would only have returned from over a week in London, cat and house sitting, so catching up with things here. Also going to Weston Eat Festival to get myself some goodies.

GabriellaG54 Sat 18-Apr-20 08:59:31

Probably shopping in M&S (food hall and browsing homewear) and Primark then going up to a friend's home to help with planting out her borders and a walk out with her dog.
I miss the spontaneity of Saturdays, last minute invites according to the weather or what's on farmer's market-wise.

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-Apr-20 08:58:03

We’d have been cleaning up the cottage that we’d rented in Scarborough for the past week for the whole family, clearing up the debris left by the 14 of us, and heading home, with the grandsons looking forward, or not, to going back to school on Monday.

The good news is that I managed to switch the booking to Easter week next year, so instead of having it behind us, we’ve still got it all to look forward to. smile

Beechnut Sat 18-Apr-20 08:29:18

I would be doing much the same as I am today unless I’d previously arranged something with DD and Son-in-law. Apart from them I know I’m very unlikely to have visitors on a weekend.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 18-Apr-20 08:18:32

We would have just returned from a long holiday in the Canaries and would have had a quick turn around on a long weekend with a dozen or so people celebrating DHs friends birthday, lots of outdoor events would have been planned, but would have been washed out. Anyway it’s postponed until next year.

BlueSapphire Sat 18-Apr-20 08:16:41

Much the same as today, doing the Saturday crossword in the paper this morning, except this afternoon I would be going on the bus to a rugby match, sitting with DD and her husband and 14,000 other people.

Puzzler61 Sat 18-Apr-20 08:09:59

I would be visiting my dear friend who is celebrating her birthday. Instead my visit to hers will end half way along her path where I’ll place her gift and card. Then I’ll ring her on the mobile and sing Happy Birthday. She’ll probably chat at her door for a few mins (but only a few as it’s raining steadily and looks set for the morning). Then she’ll carry my gifts in and probably wipe them over with an acti-bacterial wipe before opening . Strange times indeed. Hopefully on her next holiday - in the not too distant future - she can tuck it all into her travel bag and take it along. Take care everyone.

Yiayia4 Sat 18-Apr-20 07:55:47

I would have my DS and DiL staying from Derbyshire,my DiL and I would have gone shopping to Kingston and lunch out.In the evening we would have gone to a 50th birthday party with all the family.

It will all happen one day,stay safe.

farview Sat 18-Apr-20 07:46:54

Saturday was usually my mop all the wood floors day because H always went out all day...now hes under my flipping feet 24/7...I also used to meet up with a friend for a cuppa and a catch up for a couple of hours...I miss "normal ".....take care everyone

12Michael Sat 18-Apr-20 07:46:31

If this was a non corona virus day , Saturday would have been getting a bus to Buckingham, and talking to passengers on that bus , then getting on a X5 Cambridge -Oxford to Bicester , a café break for a coffee in the local bakery shop .
Then nip into Sainsburys buy a few things , get back to Buckingham on X5 , if the flea market is on browse or maybe purchase something, head into another café and coffee ,and maybe a toastie or an all day breakfast, wait around for bus back home , joined maybe by some passengers who got on on the morning run in, return home ,and if I had not had an all day, I would around 430 got and visit Chinese take away ,and buy a 2 course meal , then back home , eat and settle down for the day.
Mick

Whitewavemark2 Sat 18-Apr-20 07:46:01

This Saturday would have been the same as it will be today. Although we won’t be go so far afield to walk.

Unless there is something marked in the calendar like farmers market or food festival or spring shows etc, we tend to leave the weekend for the families and workers.

Pantglas2 Sat 18-Apr-20 07:38:13

I’d have been in mi casa in Spain! Actually the weather hasn’t been so clever there so probably a food shop and coffee this morning and meet up with friends for drinks and tapas later.

GagaJo Sat 18-Apr-20 07:26:44

I’d either by having a lie in (if I was back at work) or if at home, I’d be getting ready to take GS out for the day.

Calendargirl Sat 18-Apr-20 07:25:45

I would be doing much the same as now. Have walked out to get my paper, 6am, hardly anyone about.
Just finishing my breakfast, looking at Gransnet, then will look at the paper wearing rubber gloves to turn the pages. (Don’t normally wear the gloves).

Nannytopsy Sat 18-Apr-20 07:24:55

We might have had the DGC to sleep so we would be up cooking sausages, beans and waffles by now!
If not, perhaps a trip into town to buy vegetable plants in the market and a pub lunch?

PamelaJ1 Sat 18-Apr-20 07:19:54

Working.
At the moment we seem to be in a frenzy of cleaning and decorating. Work definitely seems like the easy option. Much more relaxing??‍♀️