Gransnet forums

Chat

He's done it again, bless him!

(25 Posts)
phoenix Sat 18-Apr-20 15:08:29

Hello all, hope you are safe and well.

Well, we ended up with a random, stolen, single sirloin steak blush, so I thought that I could cut it into strips and make stroganov.

Rather than complicate matters by putting sour cream on the shopping list, I just put "cream, small pot", planning to add a dash of lemon juice.

So, I now have a large pot of extra thick double cream confused

I suppose if I thin it down with a bit of milk it will do the job?

BlueSky Sat 18-Apr-20 15:12:48

Love the mysterious 'Pots' that has them puzzled! "No I didn't get any pots as I wasn't sure which ones you meant!" grin

AGAA4 Sat 18-Apr-20 15:13:39

Moral of the story is - never give a man a shopping list.

ninathenana Sat 18-Apr-20 15:28:59

Some of us have no choice at the moment but to give the man a shopping list. Mine has become quiet efficient at it over the last few weeks. Though I do go through the list with him to ensure he knows what he's looking for ?

EllanVannin Sat 18-Apr-20 15:32:34

Don't forget a dollop of it in your coffee, yum.

AGAA4 Sat 18-Apr-20 15:36:51

Sorry ninathenana. I realise that at the moment some people are unable to go out shopping and have to rely on others to go.
I have to rely on online deliveries which is not easy as very few slots.

phoenix Sat 18-Apr-20 15:42:45

Still, I suppose a dollop of on top of the locally made double chocolate ice cream that he picked up this morning while collecting the newspaper might be quite pleasant.......blush

Eglantine21 Sat 18-Apr-20 15:52:25

The farm shop couldn’t get me any bananas so they have sent one pear........

(I’m not grumbling. I’d be in a real muddle without them)?

Elegran Sat 18-Apr-20 15:52:43

I foresee lots of fierce curries softened with double cream in the Phoenix household in the near future,, lots of eclairs and lots of soured-cream scones.

phoenix Sat 18-Apr-20 16:00:56

Elegran I do make scones from time to time, and have always just made them with ordinary milk! Eclairs? Never made them and don't think I will start now! grin

Aaanyway, as I've just used up a random chicken breast and some mushrooms that were looking less than appetising to make yet more soup, do you think that diluting the extra thick cream with some milk will work?

Don't want any curdling incidents!

(I don't mean that the cream is "extra" as in surplus, I mean "extra thick" as in spoonable rather than pourable.)

M0nica Sat 18-Apr-20 16:06:46

Cream, especially double cream will freeze - and reconstitute well after defrosting

phoenix Sat 18-Apr-20 16:09:49

Thanks M0nica but I need ordinary cream now!

B9exchange Sat 18-Apr-20 16:13:35

Easily dilute it with milk to the consistency you need, no problem!

Callistemon Sat 18-Apr-20 16:20:28

Better to have too much cream
Than never to have cream at all

Alfred Lord Tennyson

Elegran Sat 18-Apr-20 16:22:29

Extra thick cream is only ordinary cream with some of the liquid removed, and ordinary cream itself is just full milk with some of the liquid removed, so if you keep adding milk/water until it looks as you want it, you'll be OK. You'll have gallons of the stuff, but that is the right side to be on.

Callistemon Sat 18-Apr-20 16:30:31

If you freeze it, it might be best to whip it gently and add a spoonful of icing sugar if you're going to use it in sweet dishes.

Desdemona Sat 18-Apr-20 16:35:46

Strawberries and cream for dessert? smile

phoenix Sat 18-Apr-20 16:37:00

Thank you Elegran! I will put some in a small bowl, add milk, then use.

Casllistemon I think I may just be able to use the rest of it somehow... (Phoenix wanders off considering the correct ratio of cream to double chocolate ice cream........)

Callistemon Sat 18-Apr-20 16:42:18

Otherwise I may need some for a trifle ....

phoenix Sat 18-Apr-20 16:51:37

Desdemona, no strawberries sad

Callistemon not sure it would do very well being posted, and any way I'm not sure I will have any to spare............

Eglantine21 Sat 18-Apr-20 17:12:42

Whisk lightly till thickened. Pour in quarter bottle of almond liquor bought in Italy five years ago.

Arrange decoratively in champagne glass.

Worked for me.........

Elegran Sat 18-Apr-20 17:25:31

Acquire a packet of ginger biscuits and a tin of shredded pineapple. Layer biscuits, drained pineapple and whipped cream, lay pile on its side and cover with more whipped cream. Leave for half-an-hour or so. Eat it up the same day or the cream goes gingery-brown and the biscuits go soggy.

Riverwalk Sat 18-Apr-20 17:47:10

Never mind the double cream, where did the 'stolen' steak come from - something the cat dragged in?

Mapleleaf Sat 18-Apr-20 18:02:03

Phoenix I see scones with jam and cream with the surplus double cream whipped up.....yum! ???

phoenix Sun 19-Apr-20 09:18:44

Riverwalk it was accidentally stolen blush

Mr P picked up 2 rib eye steaks in Lidl, they come packed in individual trays. When he got home and unpacked the shopping, he found a tray with a sirloin steak was stuck underneath one of them!