Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday

(77 Posts)
12Michael Tue 21-Apr-20 06:09:13

Good Morning Everyone,
Its yet another day of dry and sunny weather awaits, despite wind chill.
Today, my routine with some housework, maybe pick up those dumbells and swing them about for 5 minutes .
Getting through the first 4 weeks of the lockdown was hard enough.
But I have started to relax a little and take everyday as it comes.
Mick

MawB Tue 21-Apr-20 12:33:06

I’m sure you may be right Kittylester but I still don’t understand why that should occasion such hilarity confused

EllanVannin Tue 21-Apr-20 12:29:40

GrannySomerset I've got a horrible feeling it went under the linen-cupboard door as they can squash themselves flat, because the cat was sitting near the door earlier on. I'm not opening it just yet , coward that I am grin

Though it's not to say that it could have shifted somewhere else while my back was turned. I'll be looking over my shoulder all day until it's found.

EllanVannin Tue 21-Apr-20 12:20:51

Speaking of mice being found in wellies, I got told off one morning by mum for making a fuss because my wellie wouldn't go on my foot properly so she then took charge and tipped it up---sure enough, a mouse fell out albeit a dead one but she finally believed why I was " being difficult ".
I wasn't allowed to display emotion you see shock it went against the grain of upbringing.

hulahoop Tue 21-Apr-20 12:09:00

Good morning from Yorkshire its bright but cool and windy .nothing much to add I have just finished book from book club so I will write a review .going for our walk soon calling at fish shop then home for afternoon may do some phone calls stay safe everyone .

kittylester Tue 21-Apr-20 12:06:08

Ann, it could easily have been the same stall - under the arches at the Market Place entrance!

I think gg54 meant 'traditional', maw.

MawB Tue 21-Apr-20 12:01:57

That had me laughing kittylester

You said it GabriellaG

Legs55 Tue 21-Apr-20 11:58:27

Good morning just all. Lovely & sunny here in Devon. I've not been outside yet as I wanted to get a coat of paint on 2nd half of bedroom wall. Looks quite windy outside again & there's lots of high white cloud.

Might make a Walnut loaf before Lunch. After Lunch I will try & do some gardening although I may end up chatting to neighbour over garden fence, cafe in hand.

Grandmafrench Tue 21-Apr-20 11:54:05

lovebeigecardigans that was one of my worst fears, finding a mouse in my wellies. I always have warm feet and often wore wellies without socks (Yes, I know, weird). The thing that started my worries about mice in my boots was one day putting on a wellington, my foot landed on something sharp and I threw foot and boot into the air because it gave me a shock. Upending the boot, and others, I found lots of half walnut shells! The mice had been collecting nuts from underneath one of our trees and storing them through the winter for a meal when they fancied one!! Since that time, wellies and gardening shoes have always been bashed together and inspected, to ensure that no boot dwellers are at home !!

Grandmafrench Tue 21-Apr-20 11:48:03

Once I moved away from home, I realised that what we'd sometimes eaten as children, and called pyclets, were actually crumpets! However, looking at the photos of the Derby ones today, they look quite a lot like Scotch pancakes, which I love.

Are they similar?
Are Scotch pancakes actually a Scottish food?
Anyone know?

CherryCezzy Tue 21-Apr-20 11:45:26

Good to have you posting again Gillybob and annsixty ??

Grammaretto Tue 21-Apr-20 11:43:11

Nannatwiglet It is hard being always the recipient and unable to offer much in return. Our helper/angel rescued an abandoned baby owl and has been feeding him/her and now it is flying free but comes to her conservatory for food. His favourite thing is mice so I have promised to hand over any I catch grin I've caught none so far but hadn't thought of the welly boot trick GrannySomerset
Thanks for checking in Gilly we all miss you.
The cake Bluesapphire will make up for much burnt duck.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 21-Apr-20 11:41:41

A late good morning all from a sunny South Notts, glad to see you back Gillybobs, hope things are easing a bit. Hope all is as well as it can be in these strange times. Will go out for a little walk in the breeze soon for my much needed daily exercise.
Oh GrannySomerest the mouse in the wellie has brought back a memory of my late cat, a mouse and my boots. Said little creature must have either been deposited in one or thought it was an escape route. On putting on one of the boots it felt strange so I took it off, looked in and a decomposing mouse was inside. Oh dear. I can't unsee the poor little thing. I hope no-one's eating breakfast.
I didn't have time to take further action so left a note to DH that there was 'something nasty' and could he deal with it please? He used to work on a farm so was used to the nitty-gritty. He didn't look, just upended the boot over the compost. I never wore those boots again.

GabriellaG54 Tue 21-Apr-20 11:37:33

I DID say, MawB that it was probably the olde fashioned spelling and I was correct. Buy them in most shops and the packaging says 'Pikelets'.
Any oppo to nitpick eh...

annsixty Tue 21-Apr-20 11:34:40

I grew up with pyclets, living near Derby and much prefer them to crumpets which are too thick to me.
With the cooked breakfast, slightly toasted, and dipped in the proper bacon fat not the water that emerges these days, aargh.
Be still my clogging arteries .
Good morning to all.

GabriellaG54 Tue 21-Apr-20 11:33:26

Late to post but better than never...although you may beg to differ...ha! ?
A very warm, sunny ??totally blue-sky day here in Godalming. I rang a vet friend re the fox as it was there again today, different place, under a bush. It was awake and looked alert but I didn't stop long. She said she'd take a peek later on her way back from shop.
Back home and after the ritual ablutions and brekkie, I opened a letter from a bank saying that interest on my savings account was being reduced to...wait for it...0.01% ?? in June but mine reduces when my current 12 month term expires, which (luckily) will not be until next March 4th, and the amount you can then deposit will be halved.
What on earth is the use of 0.01% to anyone?
I know all savers are feeling the pinch but that amount isn't worth the paper they printed the letter on.
Astra Zenica is still holding up though...?
Must say a very HAPPY 94th BIRTHDAY MA'AM ?????? (the lady might be among us ??) and many more of 'em.

Nothing planned for today as per usual but looking forward to my Sainsbury's delivery tomorrow, only the second in almost a decade. Exciting times eh? ?
BlueSapphire, I'm glad you had the consolation prize of Prosecco. Had it been me I would have told my AC to ring back later, however, the cake looks really pretty and made with love it would taste divine.

Hello ?and take care to Gillybob and ?s and good wishes to all GNers esp in these testing times. Onward and upward. ? BFN.

kittylester Tue 21-Apr-20 11:31:48

Thank you, maw!

That is exactly where they were from. Delivered by hand. DD and I go to the cafe for lunch if we get the chance.

MawB Tue 21-Apr-20 11:24:07

Couldn’t resist could you GabriellaG smile
Actually it is.
www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=2ahUKEwja7JicpvnoAhVvShUIHZlBARsQFjAFegQIBhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.neighbourfood.co.uk%2Fproducers%2Fderby-pyclets%2F155&usg=AOvVaw08F8C1JNGSD2iZjwjrrGpe

CherryCezzy Tue 21-Apr-20 10:50:55

Is there a local Facebook group in your area Purplepixie, or a volunteer set up? Perhaps you could post pictures and raise money for the NHS or other key workers by selling them. You may even start a trend, who knows? ?

Urmstongran Tue 21-Apr-20 10:42:48

What a brilliant idea GrannySomerset you learn something every day!

Your cake was lovely BlueSapphire no wonder you welled up. Next year eh? x

Mapleleaf Tue 21-Apr-20 10:31:30

Nice to see your post today, gilly ?
Sorry your birthday meal got ruined, BlueSapphire. The cake looked lovely, though.

Purplepixie Tue 21-Apr-20 10:24:55

Good morning from a lovely sunny East Midlands.

Sending love and thoughts to the Gillybobs- hope all is ok.

I started to knit little rainbow teddy bears last night - not sure who they are for but I felt good making them. Also I’m going out for my little walk this morning as DH has already been out. He walks too fast and it is good to take in the view etc and feel the breeze on my face. Tonight I think it will be fish fingers, chips and beans as my head has ran out of ideas and besides I am wanting to get back to the teddies!

Stay safe and try and have the best day that you all can under the circumstances. It will end! Be positive! X

CherryCezzy Tue 21-Apr-20 10:20:29

Nannatwiglet, there are vouchers you could buy for some restaurants so perhaps that may be a route you could go down, finances permitting, to repay your neighbour's kindness when the lockdown ends.

Peculiar things bruises Sentia, hope it disappears quicker than it took to come out ?

Susan ?️ x

GrannySomerset Tue 21-Apr-20 10:19:38

So glad to hear from Gillybob and hope things improve for her. Another good drying day here so washing machine is busy and the first load is out. Now to wash the kitchen floor, a job I I have been postponing for days. Need to feel I have done something, however limited, each day. Otherwise the days drift past with nothing to show for them, not even a reasonably clean house.

Ellan - our cats were great bringers in of life mice and we found that laying a wellington down along the skirting board gave the mouse somewhere to run and then you could easily decant it outside. It did mean checking wellingtons carefully before wearing, though, in case one was lurking in there!

Redhead56 Tue 21-Apr-20 10:17:54

It's another bright morning where we are in south Liverpool. The start of the lock down I was trimming branches in the garden. I forgot I am not as able as I was and overstretched so now I have a sore back. I have been doing a little weeding to keep veg patch clear. Flicking through cookery books listening to the birds. Our son and daughter Whats app us everyday with grandchildren it upsets us not seeing them. I was watching a food programme last night about crumpets being made. I have only been going to the shop once a week for very basics if I can get them. I said to my husband the first thing I am picking up on my trolley dash is crumpets. Take care everyone.

Susan56 Tue 21-Apr-20 10:06:35

So glad you’re back gilly.x