Gransnet forums

Chat

Can I share my walk with you?

(8 Posts)
Kupari45 Tue 21-Apr-20 14:46:43

Just come back from my daily walk. It was such a beautiful day I wanted to share it with you.
We walked along the side of Embleton Golf Course up to Dunstanbrough Castle, then back along the top of the cliffs and down the steep path onto Low Newton Beach.

It was very breezy, so there were lots of big white waves. Sunshine was brilliant and a lovely blue sky.
Arctic Terns have arrived so we watched them diving into the sea to catch small fish. They must have fantastic eyesight.
We live in the village so just walk down the hill to the Golf course/Beach which is a mile from our house. Although I've seen this scene for many years I'm still in awe of how beautiful everything looked this morning.
Walked back up the hill past lots of wild flowers, and home for late lunch. Now sat out in garden (with fleece on) the breeze is very cool.
So just for an hour I forgot about my worries for my family.
Just thought I'd like to share my walk with you, and here about your favourite walk where you live.

Luckygirl Tue 21-Apr-20 14:52:24

Thank you - sounds idyllic.

I am lucky to have a sheltered corner by my bungalow where I get sun but not wind - and the view from there is all green, apart from one bush with white flowers. The myriad of different greens look beautiful in the sunshine.

Septimia Tue 21-Apr-20 15:04:18

Oh, I love that part of the coast! Lucky you, living there, and with this glorious sunshine. We're too long a drive away to make it our daily exercise. We are fortunate enough to live in the countryside, though, so there are decent walks from the house.

Lucca Tue 21-Apr-20 15:24:24

I know it well. Shame you can’t nip to the Ship in in seahouses for a drink this evening!

Lucca Tue 21-Apr-20 15:25:36

My walks take me through streets and open space full of blossom trees, do hope this wind doesn’t blow it all away.

Chewbacca Tue 21-Apr-20 15:35:36

I know that part of the coast line very well Kupari and I envy you having that walk and vista on your doorstep. It's a beautiful part of the world.

GabriellaG54 Tue 21-Apr-20 15:36:29

It sounds idyllic. Thank you. ?

Cherrytree59 Tue 21-Apr-20 16:06:46

Ahh sounds lovely kapuri
Such a beautiful day with blue skies and sunshine.

After having demolishing a huge bag of Maltesers to myself last night!!
A long walk was required.
So with my DH and his camera we set off just before lunch.

We walked through a park field in front of house and out in to a narrow wood.
On either side of the path the
bluebells were just coming out of bud.
Dark pink campion and white flowers (will have to look up) wafted in the breeze.
The black bird were singing their little hearts out. The Robin high up on the branches of the silver birches tick ticked and the blue tits burred whilst the pigeons of course, cooed away.

Orange tip butterflies and tiny blue butterflies swirled between the flowers, it was quite
windy and difficult for them to settle on a flower.

The bees followed the sunlight and warmth, before landing on bright yellow dandelion flowers.

In the air was the pungent smell of rape.
The yellow carpet could be spied between the young saplings.

We came out of the wood and walked along the canal towards the marina.
The barrages lined oneside of the canal.
Some had pretty moorings with potted plants and patio furniture.
Towering above the barges were the boats in dry dock. All were looking a bit forlorn, as the work on them had obviously had to stop.
All a bit Marie Celeste.

One barge puffed out smoke and another wafted out the lovely smell of fried onions.
Amongst all the colourful canal boats was a long black barge adorned with black and yellow posters advertising books that had been wrote by the barge owner himself.

A family of ducks mother, father and seven baby ducklings were swimming next to the barge, pecking off the green algae on the boats hull.

All of a sudden one of shutters opened, just where the ducks were patrolling and the barge man leaned out to feed the duck family.
They had obviously been waiting for lunch.

We turned around and wandered back along the canal towards the our village shops, on the way we stopped for DH to photograph a swan building her nest in the reeds.
And to snap three grazing horses in the neighbouring field.
They were totally oblivious to the crows and magpies sharing their field.

We moved away from the canal to follow a small brook that meandered it's way into our village.
My destination was to pick up some antacids for heart burn
caused by Malteser overload.
Also a cauliflower and a bunch of daffodils made it into my basket

On our return journey, we passed by the local pub, which had painted a large Union Jack on one wall, we also spotted a painted stone with a blue heart with NHS wrote in white
One gesture big and one small
Both Thanking our NHS.

Before rejoining the stream, we walked by our little 'one cell' gaol, complete with stocks.
Stone horse troughs now planted with pretty spring flowers.

We meanderered back long the stream, over a couple of bridges to avoid passers by and through the allotments that hopefully by the summer will be filled with fruit and veg.
Back across the field and home for a cuppa, after the usual decontamination!