Gransnet forums

Chat

Are the media misreading our mood?

(115 Posts)
Mamissimo Wed 22-Apr-20 20:37:14

I’m fed up with the adversarial, shouty and rather childish media at the moment.

This blog entry suggests that we want hope and calm, and that its not time for the blame game. More than ever we need to stand together rather than ‘ramp’ it up to feed the media gang.

www.effiedeans.com/2020/04/journalism-is-missing-mood-country.html?fbclid=IwAR2MbPkv48UOnWr_dbXppgDtADBL8gWmRVmrQT_GWN6XuNn_qO7QaOoI4Co&m=1

What do others think? Is Effie right?

Glorybee Wed 22-Apr-20 22:00:27

I agree MawB, it would appear that those threads are started by those who just want to rage against the Tories in the guise of ‘holding them to account’.

lemongrove Wed 22-Apr-20 22:29:04

I agree with most others on this thread, high time the ranty negative people put a sock in it!
So Mamissimo yes, the writer is correct.People in the UK are really working together with acts of kindness but the media thinks it won’t sell papers and want negative OMG headlines and articles.
Social media is awash with those who were knocked for six by the election results and want to do anything to try and damage the new government.
We should probably simply ignore them.

GagaJo Wed 22-Apr-20 23:19:11

That's ridiculous. Some of you are ridiculous. Bad leadership in a time of huge national emergency and you think those that point out the mistakes are suffering from sour grapes. Do you have any idea how out of touch you are?

I'd like to think there'll be an inquiry into the delinquency of government planning, protection and policy making. But I think this emergency will be so long and so far reaching that what we took for normal before will never return.

rosecarmel Wed 22-Apr-20 23:22:30

I agree with Hetty-

Paint a rainbow, read an informative article- Balance it out-
Some days people aren't in the mood for rainbows- Some days people aren't in the mood for truth-

Hetty58 Wed 22-Apr-20 23:28:37

Lemongrove, thanks for the laugh:

'Social media is awash with those who were knocked for six by the election results and want to do anything to try and damage the new government'

Hilarious! They are doing a very good 'damage' job all by themselves - with no help from us!

lemongrove Wed 22-Apr-20 23:30:48

Gaga.....rantings show that some posters are out of touch with the mood of the country, not the other way round.
Wasting your energy like that must be awful.Soul destroying too.

lemongrove Wed 22-Apr-20 23:31:26

Only in some left wing opinion Hetty!

lemongrove Wed 22-Apr-20 23:33:03

Perhaps I have it wrong.....perhaps you voted Conservative Hetty after all?

Summerlove Wed 22-Apr-20 23:42:58

If all you want is sunshine and rainbows...why not just believe that that’s the case?

If you feel that the only people upset with the government are “lefties”, then just feel firm in that belief.

If you feel that criticising the govt is all anger and soul destroying, why spend time criticising posters? Surely that’s equally soul destroying?

Also...this is not an “unforeseen” event. Now, that is revisionist history at its best

lemongrove Wed 22-Apr-20 23:48:17

Sunshine is good ( better than rain)
Posters of a known left leaning bent ( for want of a better word) do enjoy knocking the government, I think it’s what gets them up in the mornings.
Of course all this anger and bitterness is soul destroying....it can’t do them any good at all.
Pointing this out to them is my good deed of the day.?

Hetty58 Wed 22-Apr-20 23:48:41

lemongrove, fyi, I vote Green, not Labour or Tory. Do you really believe that the government are doing a good job? If so, why? Any examples would be helpful.

lemongrove Wed 22-Apr-20 23:52:12

Ah, green ( that explains it.)
Of course the government is doing a good job, just not perfectly enough to suit some it seems.All governments are working their socks off in their national interest, to save lives.

Hetty58 Wed 22-Apr-20 23:56:12

Summerlove, my dotty friend truly believed it was all a big fuss over nothing, just a new type of flu - soon be over!

She wore her rose tinted spectacles and harped on about 'getting back to normal'

She tried the 'If all you want is sunshine and rainbows...why not just believe that that’s the case?'

But - she had trouble sleeping (and getting up and dressed) so was prescribed anti-depressants.

Now, she's lost five friends and relatives - so far.

Starblaze Thu 23-Apr-20 00:29:45

"Enjoy knocking the government"

I nearly fell off the bed laughing at that one.

What on earth is enjoyable about it?

Just wanting a decent government?

I think some enjoy throwing their toys about and making silly statements about how awful the left are, especially when they don't have a valid argument.

Summerlove Thu 23-Apr-20 00:57:14

Hetty, your poor friend. I hope she’s taking this seriously now.

Though, I understand why so many didnt as the govt was downplaying it so much.

Summerlove Thu 23-Apr-20 00:57:54

lemon you say “of course” the govt is doing a good job. Examples?

rosecarmel Thu 23-Apr-20 04:03:21

The government here (us) is scrambling- What would make their mad dashes and sudden switching believable would be transparency- When asked questions by the press they sweep everything they said a week or month prior under the rug and never answer the questions being asked of them-

Many people adore Dr Fauci, as though he can do no wrong- But he stood in front of that podium, early on, and said that our chances of contracting the virus were low-

They haven't the balls or the ovaries to guide us through this pandemic with truths and they refuse to be held accountable for their lies- If the press never pressed them for answers, many more people would have died- All their anger and pressuring is bringing about change-

Shelmiss Thu 23-Apr-20 07:43:49

”Some of you are ridiculous.” Why GagaJo? Because they disagree with you? Now, that’s ridiculous.

coggie Thu 23-Apr-20 07:48:32

Your comment, coggie, is contemptible

Do elaborate please?

Daisymae Thu 23-Apr-20 08:33:36

I think that now is precisely the right time to question the government policy. It does seem that they react to public opinion. Without the pressure of the media we would be in an even more difficult position. Some of their actions and advice have been inexplicable and contradictory to common sense. So yes, it's no surprise and justifiable that some strong characters have been holding feet to the fire.

lemongrove Thu 23-Apr-20 08:54:06

Which country do you live in rosecarmel?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 23-Apr-20 09:26:31

rosecarmel lives in USA lemongrove

For what my opinion is worth I think that those who voted for any party other than Conservative are positively gloating at the fact that Covid-19 has happened/is happening under a Conservative Government.

Doyou really think it would have been any better under Labour who were rudderless due to the leadership elections?

Greeneyedgirl Thu 23-Apr-20 09:49:54

We need facts and transparency, and I do not think we have received this consistently from the government, particularly in the early days of the pandemic.
What was the point in having a pandemic exercise codenamed 'Cyrus' in 2016, which identified problems such as insufficient respirators, if no action was taken, and it's obvious now that none was. Why didn't the government ever publish the findings of this exercise?
The press have been doing the job of the Opposition, which has until now been woefully inadequate in holding the government up to scrutiny and account.
Surely this is what a free press is for, or do we want to be fed propaganda, 'to raise moral'?
We are not children but reasoning adults.

FarNorth Thu 23-Apr-20 10:12:24

think that those who voted for any party other than Conservative are positively gloating

No, we are despairing at the mess that is being made, and astonished that some people can't see it.

It's very weird to think that anyone would gloat.

Hetty58, I'm sorry to hear about your friend.
It's perfectly reasonable for an individual to take the 'smiles and rainbows' attitude in their own life.
It's not sensible for leaders of a country to do so.

FarNorth Thu 23-Apr-20 10:18:51

Remember Matt Hancock telling us that the UK was well prepared with adequate PPE and was in the forefront of developing tests for covid?

If that had turned out to be true, I am certain that non-tory supporters would have been as happy as anyone else.

But it was not true.

The 'can-do' attitude of Boris and his 'government' was completely fake.