Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(86 Posts)
12Michael Fri 24-Apr-20 06:08:03

Good Morning Everyone,
Yet another bright sunny and dry day in Brackley.
Usual shop this morning , hair trimmer yet to arrive , plus my cycling subscription does not start until next week, both to look forward to.
Otherwise que up, shop, get back and some exercise as well..
Mick

Scentia Fri 24-Apr-20 13:46:09

GabriellaG54
I am a social care worker, working with vulnerable children who are looked after as they can no longer live in a family home. I am just working on a bank so I can pick and choose my hours as we also have a business to run. (However, the business is not going too well at the moment, hence me getting a job!)

Kalu Fri 24-Apr-20 13:10:09

I have never used conditioners jacq only a small amount of vinegar to get rid of any residue soap so possibly the reason why the fresh bed linen smell is so prominent. Hadn’t thought of that.

GabriellaG54 Fri 24-Apr-20 13:09:59

I'm a little perplexed as everyone but me seems to know what Scentia's new job is.
I gather it's something to do with children and adults involving long hours and is very worthwhile...
Scentia...could you bring me up to date and I too wish you all the very best in your new position...whatever it may be. 15 hrs seems a very very long time though. Do you get lunch provided?

GabriellaG54 Fri 24-Apr-20 13:03:16

GrannyOwl5?
Twit-twoo ???
I hope you enjoy many happy hours reading and posting.

dragonfly46 Fri 24-Apr-20 12:13:42

Yes I too loved the picture of the duck, especially with the whale!!
Did anyone see the goats which had come down from the Great Orme in Llandudno because there was no traffic around. I wonder if they have gone back.

jacq10 Fri 24-Apr-20 12:10:37

Another sunny day up here - it does help me get through the day when I can sit out and have an occasional chat with the neighbours (from a distance). It's quite difficult with one neighbour as he has a very soft voice and I am trying to lip read sometimes but that doesn't help at a distance. I make the excuse to him that I can't really hear for the wind and we wave our hands about a bit. Enjoyed the chat about the fresh smell from washing. Remember doing a poem in school about favourite smells and I wrote about burying my face in the washing when carrying it in. We lived in two rooms and a kitchen with an outside toilet but my Mum was kept it spotless and there was always washing on the line. It was just the pure fresh smell of the air as there no conditioners, etc, back then! Hope everyone has as good a weekend as possible.

PS: Loved the photo of the swimming pool and duck Urmstongran! Happy memories.

Kalu Fri 24-Apr-20 11:55:29

Nothing beats it Brunette ?. along with getting into a freshly made bed and that smell. Bliss.

GrannyOwl5 Fri 24-Apr-20 11:34:22

Thank you for all your messages of welcome. Taichinan my name was given to me by my grandchildren; I thought it was because I was clever and wise, but as they always sniggered when they started using it perhaps it was for another reason! The name stuck and DH is known as Grandad Owl ?

Taichinan Fri 24-Apr-20 11:25:48

Hello Grannyowl, nice to meet you! Love your name! Owl was (one of my) nickname at school. I used to wear those truly horrid round black-rimmed glasses. Scores of years later they looked good on Harry Potter, but then. ........!

Brunette10 Fri 24-Apr-20 11:23:23

Kalu - someone else who shares one of the same small pleasures. I too love washing hanging out in the sunshine and the faint fragrance blowing through. My DH thinks I'm a bit sad but it gives me a little pleasure - sad or not I don't care smile

dragonfly46 Fri 24-Apr-20 11:16:34

Welcome GrannyOwl.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 24-Apr-20 11:15:52

Hello Grannyowl5

GabriellaG54 wonderful news about Mr.Fox ?

Gingster I do hope your DH results are ok, and that he rests.

Gillybob I will PM you

Morning Urmstongran love the duck?

Pleased you are feeling better Marydoll

There is much merriment in Gravy Grange this morning we have just found out that our favourite Chinese Takeaway has reopened........no cooking for me tonight yippee!! ????

Kalu Fri 24-Apr-20 11:14:21

A warm welcome GrannyOwl pleased you decided to take the plunge and join us.

Kalu Fri 24-Apr-20 11:09:52

TopsyIrene. I haven’t been to Queens Park for years but I know it well and it will be beautiful at this time of year with cherry blossom. Enjoy your stroll.

Kalu Fri 24-Apr-20 11:06:50

That has cheered me up Gabriella. What a kind person your vet friend is and lucky Mr Fox ?. ?. Two of my favourite garden visitors.

Hoping your DH has a positive result today Gingster?

GrannyOwl5 Fri 24-Apr-20 11:04:43

Having been a lurker for some time, I have decided today to take the plunge with my first post. I live in northeast Kent with DH and have two children and 5 grandchildren. I am a regular reader of this and Soop’s Kitchen so feel I already ‘know’ many of you and have followed your ups and downs with interest and admiration at how you all cope with the slings and arrows of this weird life we are all living in.

Kalu Fri 24-Apr-20 10:54:53

Good morning all from a bright start here in Glasgow. Sun and 19deg. forecast for later Marydoll?. Hope you are feeling a bit better today.

White wash on leaves me nothing else to wash. I love to see bed linen hanging in the sun and the wonderful fresh smell when it’s dry Is a small pleasure. Simple things help lift my day.

DH has pulled some muscles in his back and shoulder so it’s his turn now to live on painkillers for a couple of days. Oh how we laughed! Typically it’s easy overdo it when the weather is good and you are in the right mood, then end up overdoing it forgetting we are not the fit young things we were?

What a frightening experience for you both Gingster and hopefully there will be no ill effects to follow after such a scare.

I noticed your post too late in the day yesterday gilly I’m sure your not alone to suddenly break down in tears being overwhelmed with too much to cope with. It’s better out than in and most of the time a good cry makes you feel better? It is what it is and we just move on. Hope your day is a better one.

I haven’t managed to cut DH’s hair yet but still favouring the Jurgen Klopp look whenever I attack it?. I bought hairdressing scissors when GDs were tots, wouldn’t sit still at the hairdressers but happy to let Granny trim their hair. DD1 tells me she puts her head upside down and trims her hair that way. It always look good so I may give it a go?

Have the best day you can everyone.

GabriellaG54 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:40:46

Rang my friend to ask after Mr ? and told mentioned the messages on today's GN. She had no idea there was a Gransnet but was very pleased that her ministrations met with your approval. She said that she could get very fond of him but plans to take him into deep countryside when he's recovered.
Funny, that whenever I typed the word fox? a fox? emoji appears. ?Thanks everyone. ?

dragonfly46 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:34:50

So pleased you are feeling better Marydoll and it was good hearing about the good treatment you DH received Gingster.

I hope you get some results today gilly - so frustrating.

I just rang the council and told them not to send me any more food parcels. I do wonder who put them together. Among other things I had a Fray Bentos chicken pie (do they still make them?), lots of soup, baked beans, bread, 1 toilet roll and a mango!

By the way I am told that Amazon are selling large bags of flour for those who are baking.

Taichinan Fri 24-Apr-20 10:04:16

Good morning from the glorious Costa del Angus! Gingster how worrying and scary for you yesterday, but you certainly did the right thing. Let's hope the test results today are reassuring ??. I have no plans for today other than to enjoy it! The thing that surprises me is that Friday comes round so quickly. Perhaps living in the Now and not thinking about what tomorrow might bring is the way through these strange times. Stay well everyone ???

Mythbirtthedragon Fri 24-Apr-20 10:03:08

Good morning from east London, bright, sunny and not too cool. I assume it’s warmed up since I opened the back door at 6 this morning. I’ve been detained by 2 cups of tea and Jamaica Inn (this month’s local book club and I need to write up my opinion by Tuesday). Just done a very stiff legged dash to the front door; turned out it was my Rooibos teabags being delivered, postie was well away across the road by the time I got there. Foodbank yesterday was the busiest we’ve ever been; we normally only open for an hour but it took us an hour and a half to get through the 30 clients. It’s a sign of sad times and one that won’t lift even when shutdown does lift. Enjoyed my visit to DD and family yesterday and choir last night; we were joined in the zoom room by some of the Mull choir and it was lovely to see them again as well as the sunset across the water. Need to get moving, dance class at 11 and have to decide if I have shopping to do. Have a good day.

Gingster Fri 24-Apr-20 10:03:01

Thanks for all your kind thoughts re DH. He has to go in to hospital again today for results. Fingers crossed ?♥️

EllanVannin Fri 24-Apr-20 09:52:26

Good Morning All x
How lovely is it to wake up with the sun streaming through ? The brightness makes such a difference and sets you up for the day.

I really want to go to the supermarket, as although corner shops are handy there isn't the variety you'd get from a bigger shop and I'm missing the choice----like a fresh cream sponge cake grin I'll see how the day pans out.
Our Morrisons shop is on the prom so the sea air should keep any bugs away, says I.

I do miss the children and it looks as though I'll miss the twins 14th birthdays at the beginning of June. I've already missed two birthdays as I've always seen them on their special days. It's the same for everyone though.

I shouted my thanks to the binmen at 7am this morning. It's always a relief to have the green bins emptied during this weather so I'll give it a mop after in some hot water and Dettol to keep the flies away.

Just read a lovely piece in the local paper that a baby has gone home from hospital after having been born at 24 weeks weighing just over 1lb ! Little mite went through all sorts of ills and had to be transferred to 3 hospitals for various treatments and beat them all, 145 days in all. What a miracle baby. That's made my day.

Usual fish dinner today, salmon new pots and peas and a large orange, which are delicious-----but 70p each ! Ouch !! I should be eating the peel as well grin

Anyway, hoping everyone is keeping well and free from ills.
In the garden is the place to be, housework next week when the temperature drops. Stay safe and well and hopefully not many wobbles.xx

TopsyIrene06 Fri 24-Apr-20 09:50:21

Good Morning from the south side of Glasgow in the sun with little wind. Cherry Blossom in bloom in Queen's Park this morning and the swan still keeping the nest warm.
Ginny42 in the first week of my isolation a tooth filling fell out and I too was told to buy a DIY kit. What a difficult manoeuvre given that I do not have a dental degree, in fact I am still trying and only this morning yet another piece of it fell out as soon as I got it into place. I hope you get on better than me and if there is a special knack, please let me know!
Keep safe and well everyone in this bizarre life we are living. It's a marathon apparently not a sprint.

CherryCezzy Fri 24-Apr-20 09:44:36

Good morning Mick and everyone. Lovely bright day here in the Gower.
Thank you Susan, Doodle and Gabriella for your best wishes ?
I'm still a bit "foggy" and a little achy but I live to fight another day ! ?
Scentia glad your first shift in the new job went well, I'm sure they'll have you back. ☺️
I hope your DH is okay Gingster. The NHS did him proud though, I hope his results come back okay. ?
Good to have you back Marydoll, sounds like you are feeling much improved ?. Perhaps we should all learn sigh language or something like semaphore ?
Gillybob you sound in pretty good fettle, especially all things considered ?. My WP has hairdressing scissors, he bought a grooming kit (Amazon) and the scissors were in it.
I got a "welfare" call from the LA yesterday (seems odd). I also had a volunteer shop for me on Wednesday so I am now stocked up!?. No flour but I've been reading about that and apparently only 4% of flour produced ever makes it's way to the supermarkets. This has something to do with a lack of capacity to bag small amounts. The rest of the flour goes to manufacturers and businesses. This means that at the moment, since many more people are buying, only 15% of people are able to obtain it. Drat!
WP cooking a chicken for dinner tonight and we'll have that with new potatoes and salad ?.
Take care all you lovely people, special wishes to all those experiencing wobbles, are unwell and having other troubles to contend with ?. ❤️