Gransnet forums

Chat

I've lost 50lbs!!!!!!

(52 Posts)
vampirequeen Fri 24-Apr-20 08:21:23

This is 50lbs of fat. Fat that is no longer around my liver and kidneys. Fat that is no longer straining my heart as I lug it around with me. Fat that no longer weighs me down. Have I got a chufty on? You bet I have grin

Onwards and downwards. Time to move onto the next 50lbs although I only target 5lbs at a time it adds up.

CherryCezzy Fri 24-Apr-20 10:52:12

Well done, that's tremendous! ??.
My weight fluctuates a lot, I try to maintain a healthy weight and I do manage but sometimes it reaches the top end of the healthy range BMI ?.
It can be a struggle so you've done amazing ?, as has your DH.

SalsaQueen Fri 24-Apr-20 11:42:52

That's great. Well done. I wish I had the willpower.

glammanana Fri 24-Apr-20 12:11:18

That is amazing I bet you feel so much better in yourself

Tangerine Fri 24-Apr-20 12:16:41

Congratulations!

Hithere Fri 24-Apr-20 12:27:29

Congratulations! Amazing

Doodledog Fri 24-Apr-20 13:04:49

Wow! That's fantastic. How did you do it? Please tell me it was easy and we could all do it?

ginny Fri 24-Apr-20 13:08:02

Well done !

Xrgran Fri 24-Apr-20 13:11:32

I did the low carb diet 2 years ago and lost 1 stone and am now usually 60 kg and stable despite extra wine ?

I’m vegetarian now vegan so it’s not easy but it worked great for me and I even survived a month in Italy with no pizza, pasta or bread.

I even had a few cheat days and still lost weight over about 3 months.

vampirequeen Fri 24-Apr-20 13:16:40

I haven't really changed much tbh, Gagajo. We're both 61.

I joined MyFitnessPal (it's free). It gives lots of advice, suggests how many calories you need to eat each day etc. and lets you keep a food diary. We always have porridge for breakfast. I usually have a salad for lunch and DH has a sandwich and cuppasoup. Then at tea time we have a dinner. Tonight we're having braising steak, jacket potato (about 200g), cauli, broccoli, carrots and sprouts. We never skimp on our tea. Other times we might have spag bol or chicken korma but I add chickpeas so we need less rice or aduki beans so we need less pasta. We always eat a proper tea. I tend to snack on fruit because I love fruit. DH isn't a fruit lover so snacks on Quavers, Alpen Light bars or Danone Light and Free Yoghurts.

We still eat real food. No fad diets. This is a life change not a diet. The only things we really changed food wise was how often we bought sweet stuff. It's not that we never eat treats but we just don't buy them like we used to and we rarely eat toast because we can't control how much lovely butter melts into it. We're having a treat today because of the chuftys. A 4 box of Magnams between the two of us. We'll eat them all today then back to normal tomorrow. One Magnam is 228 calories btw lol.

We exercise every day. Usually we alternate between walking and cycling. We're lucky that we live in a village so we can walk/cycle without being too close to other people. That said we don't think of it as exercise because we don't push ourselves. We usually stroll at around 2.5mph (yes we have a saddo app on the phone lol) and cycle at around 5mph (yes another saddo app lol). We live in a hilly area so cycling quickly isn't something I could do anyway. Also when in doubt I get off my bike and walk up the hill lol. We walk/cycle for about three quarters to an hour a day. The apps are Map my Walk and Map my Ride.

CraftyGranny Fri 24-Apr-20 13:17:31

Well done Vampirequeen, but I think that 50lb may have landed on me!

vampirequeen Fri 24-Apr-20 13:25:46

I can't say it was easy Doodledog but then it wasn't hard either. Once we got into the swing of it then it became a lot easier and tbh I don't really miss sugary stuff anymore. In fact when we do have them I tend to find them disappointing. I used to be virtually addicted the Greggs Belgian Buns. I couldn't go into a Greggs without buying one. I had one a few weeks ago and all I could taste was sweetness. The good thing about that is that I don't ever think about them now lol.

I think that part of making it easy was that nothing is banned. We can eat anything we like as long as we calorie count it...hence todays Magnums but we won't bother again for ages. This Easter was the first time ever that I didn't eat chocolate. I wouldn't have thought this was possible but this time it didn't interest me. I think part of that is because I don't think I can never eat that chocolate, cake etc. I think I can have that if I want it but I just don't want it now.

I'm making myself sound like goody two shoes and I'm not. I just have more good days than bad so gradually the weight has come off.

Kalu Fri 24-Apr-20 13:26:23

Wow, that’s fabulous Vampirequeen. Proves it can be done with a change of lifestyle ? Enjoy your well deserved magnums????

Marmight Fri 24-Apr-20 13:39:53

Vampire That’s amazing! Congratulations. ???

Grannmarie Fri 24-Apr-20 14:06:36

Absolutely brilliant, VampireQueen and husband!???

What a difference that must make to your health and well-being.

Davida1968 Fri 24-Apr-20 14:41:56

Congratulations Vampirequeen - what an achievement! (And very inspirational to me, especially at the present time.) Please keep us up-to-date! on your next 5lbs loss!

Callistemon Fri 24-Apr-20 14:50:08

That's the best way to do it vampirequeen
Change your eating habits and don't try to lose weight through fad diets.

Well done both of you.

Squiffy Fri 24-Apr-20 15:20:04

Brilliant Vampire! I know two people who have lost eight stone each in less than a year, so It is achievable and you’re well on your way! ??

Wheniwasyourage Fri 24-Apr-20 15:24:01

Well done vampirequeen, you're an inspiration to us all!

rafichagran Fri 24-Apr-20 15:29:10

Well done.

lizzypopbottle Fri 24-Apr-20 16:31:23

vampirequeen You are a ?, you deserve a star ? Brilliant! The weight you've lost is roughly equivalent to a seven year old child! No wonder you're glad to have shed that load! Keep up the good work!

PamGeo Fri 24-Apr-20 17:15:25

flowers well done that's amazing

Katyj Fri 24-Apr-20 17:23:59

That’s amazing. Wish I had the willpower.

Billybob4491 Fri 24-Apr-20 17:29:09

Well done Vampire, keep going you are doing great. I lost four stone last year, managed so far to keep it off, followed Slimming World plan. Worked for me.

Jane43 Fri 24-Apr-20 17:31:17

Very well done! I have struggled with my weight for most of my adult life and I know how hard it is.

Dinahmo Fri 24-Apr-20 17:34:28

Well done. That's fantastic