Gransnet forums

Chat

First impressions

(127 Posts)
MissAdventure Fri 24-Apr-20 20:06:10

Can I ask what were your immediate thoughts when you saw your husband/wife or partner for the very first time?

smile

GabriellaG54 Wed 06-May-20 21:30:43

Peardrop50
I found your story quite touching. It must have resonated with me, possibly some long-forgotten incident many decades ago.
Was this in the North West of England?

Evie64 Wed 06-May-20 20:50:14

1973 - I was in a club called the Sundown in Charing Cross Road, London with a friend. He and his mate were following us around this rather large venue most of the evening, or so we thought. We went downstairs to the dance floor again and they both asked us to dance. Only afterwards did he confess that it was the first time he had set eyes on me and the only reason he asked to dance was because a girl in a very short skirt had turned him down and he just turned to the next available female to cover his embarrassment. He said he hadn't even noticed what I looked like until we were dancing and he looked down and thought wow! We were both beautiful then as we all were at 18. 47 years later and still together, despite many many ups and downs. Devil you know eh?

Shropshirelass Tue 28-Apr-20 09:29:24

I was in a relationship and he was married. He came to price some work on a house we were renovating. I was dressed in a white paper suit wearing eye protectors and a face mask! Years later, he was divorced and I was widowed, he came to price some more work for me, this time no paper suit etc! This year we will have been married for 22 years!

Curlywhirly Tue 28-Apr-20 09:26:18

Oh, he was a dark and very handsome rugby player and a bit of a rebel! We met when we were 16; I had been out with a few other boys, but none really impressed me. We have been married for 43 years. He's now a silver fox, rugby muscles have gone, but still a bit or a rebel. We've had our ups and downs, but he's my best friend and my rock.

BlueSapphire Tue 28-Apr-20 09:01:05

Wasn't really interested, not my type. Had seen him around for a while.
Until the time he asked me out to the cinema. It was my birthday, (he didn't know), feeling a bit fed up and lonely, as everyone I knew had other plans, thousands of miles from family.
So I went, and we were engaged 6 weeks later..... Apparently he had been fancying me from afar for a few weeks and was very persistent.
Together 49 years. He died two years ago.

Bobdoesit Tue 28-Apr-20 07:55:47

I really liked the look of his best friend!

callgirl1 Tue 28-Apr-20 01:37:26

Mmm, HE`s nice! We were married for just over 53 years.

Flygirl Mon 27-Apr-20 23:58:05

He was most obviously "worse for wear" that evening, (having come straight from the normal Friday afternoon "working in the City" lunchtime drinking session), but... I loved his blue velvet jacket ?....(well, it WAS 1978!)...

Happysexagenarian Mon 27-Apr-20 20:30:10

I thought he was a bit too full of himself, a big of a 'wide boy' and he talked too much! He was my driving instructor and after the first two lessons I told him to shut up because I couldn't concentrate when he kept rabbiting on. After that we got along fine. We've been happily married for 42 years.

Polly4t42 Mon 27-Apr-20 16:00:35

His hairs longer than mine, we met in 1974 and I had a shoulder length bob. I also thought he was cute. He was 19 yrs old.

Peardrop50 Mon 27-Apr-20 14:59:45

Mr P was a paperboy delivering in our road. We were both 15 years old. He took a liking to me and sent a younger boy to my house with a note asking me out. I answered that I'd only consider it if he came and asked me himself. He sent another note asking if I'd meet him in the local swing park where he'd ask me himself. I went, he did ask, I said yes, he went to hold my hand and I recoiled as he had a wart on his finger. So we walked and talked without hand holding and slowly fell in love with each other. Been together 55 years and happily (most of the time) married for 50 years this year. He is my best friend, my rock and my true love.

Herbie9 Mon 27-Apr-20 14:27:31

He had a Lambretta scooter, so did I, so I thought he would come in useful as mine was developing some faults. He sorted them and I thought how kind he was,plus good looking. We had nearly 56 years and a son and daughter. How lucky was I.

dolphindaisy Mon 27-Apr-20 13:46:13

Saw him in a nightclub and thought "OOOH I fancy HIM". According to him his friend said "do you fancy dancing with those two scrubbers over there" and he said "take the one you want and I'll have the other one". We've been married 48 yrs.

HunnyBunny Mon 27-Apr-20 11:32:34

A friend of mine whispered in my ear ‘He’s looking for a wife’.
I turned and looked at this man with an awful mustard coloured suit on and thought ‘well, I hope he doesn’t look at me’!
24 years later, he’s still looking at me. ☺️

Annaram1 Mon 27-Apr-20 11:11:14

Well, I went to work in the same place as my husband to be, and when I saw him I thought, he looks nice, he is handsome, but he is Indian. If I married him my family would be shocked. I did marry him and it lasted 54 years until he died of Alzheimers. He remained nice and good looking for most of that time. Attitudes about race these days are not quite so bad as they were in 1962.

homefarm Mon 27-Apr-20 09:37:09

What an idiot

narrowboatnan Mon 27-Apr-20 09:25:15

First husband - tall, dark, handsome, but very quiet. Mysterious, you might say. (Turned out to be too quiet, uncommunicative and selfish)

Second - current - husband - What a prat! ‘Til I got talking to him and realised that he was very intelligent, very clever and could really make me laugh.

Kim19 Mon 27-Apr-20 08:59:26

Gosh....why on earth would anyone wear a waistcoat to the dancing?!!

Aepgirl Mon 27-Apr-20 07:44:24

Bit of a bore.

Phloembundle Mon 27-Apr-20 07:33:02

What a drip.

grannyactivist Mon 27-Apr-20 00:37:00

I thought he looked very young; he had a long face, carrot red hair, freckles (lots and lots of freckles) and terrible taste in clothing.

I was 29, he was 19 and joined the church I attended. The 'thunderclap' moment came after two years of friendship and was so unexpected that I still clearly remember the utter shock I felt when we first kissed. We've somehow managed to marry and maintain our very close friendship for almost 34 years; his carrot hair is now silver, the freckles have faded and his taste in clothing has marginally improved. grin

Legs55 Mon 27-Apr-20 00:35:11

When I met my late DH I was twice divorced with an 8 year old DD, I was also seeing some-one else. I was out with my friend & her DH. My friend had arranged for the four of us to go out together.... Love at First Sight.....23 very happy years. 21 of those married. 7 years on I still miss him but I have a new single life which I love & lots of happy memories

Flowerofthewest Sun 26-Apr-20 23:58:03

Cooorrr...Sue was right...he's gorgeous

Grammaretto Sun 26-Apr-20 23:51:45

I liked everything about him. His dark wavy hair, blue twinkly eyes, a lovely voice....and when the honeymoon was over we never ran out of things to talk about. We still are best friends 51 yrs later and most of the DGC have those eyes.
Great thread smile

Evie64 Sun 26-Apr-20 23:40:04

In a nightclub in Charing Cross Road in London. 1974. His dark hair was as long as mine, wearing flares and T-shirt with very muscular arms. Both looked as "out of it" as each other!
Phoar! 47 years later, he's almost bald, no muscles really, but, good and bad, he has his days, you know.......