Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's kitchen refuge for the sharing of...

(1001 Posts)
soop Tue 28-Apr-20 12:21:07

Here we are again...all good pals and jolly good company.

WELCOME. Enjoy the treats on offer. All food virtually calorie-free. No washing of dishes permitted. Please relax and we'll raise a glass of cheer to each other. brew cafe wine Cheers!

annodomini Thu 11-Jun-20 12:37:54

@Nannytopsy

Tried my best to get my photo of the hosta to download but it stubbornly refuses.. It's has a green leaf edged with yellow and has taken over a bed that was intended to be a fernery. The poor ferns are doing their best but it's a losing battle. Grrrr

Dreamkeeper Thu 11-Jun-20 12:03:40

Oops I shall have to put my skates on and say my few words or I will be "cut to the quick" and lost in the wilderness before a new refuge is opened!!!
How quickly the kitchen reaches its allotted space!!!

At long last we too can boast we have had some rain,the first in almost 3 months would you believe,the farmers have been almost going crazy because no sooner than they had the floods this drought followed.Crops undoubtedly will suffer and there maybe shortages........and higher prices.
Today again is warm,dry with some sunny but breezy intervals.

I thrill with these lovely pictures,they truly give me such an uplift,thank you all.I swear I can smell the lavender!!

Such great news about young Henry,although poor chap he seems to be gaining just a few steps and then another nasty blip,very worrying for you Susan and of course his mum.He certainly sounds...........and looks.........very resilient though.A right little "toughie!!

You too Nannytopsy you must be quietly rejoicing that your DGD remains in recovery and there is no further signs of her slipping back as can happen sadly.Fingers crossed.

We applaud the good news Dragonfly has had with her blood results and are so sorry our Cherry has had another round of seizures,it really must be deeply upsetting, and yet for the most of the time she remains so upbeat.

Had a poor night,and now awaiting the garage men to collect our car to take it in to replace a bulb and give it a service.It has been on stop since March and my dear man is still very reluctant to "test the water" as it were, outside this Establishment.......not helped by having this second shielding letter today.
Broad Haven is not going anywhere but hopefully we shall be!!!

Sending best wishes to you all,hope you can keep your spirits high, although I am the first to admit there are some difficult times!
The virus is still roaming and how we wish to send it on its way!!!

cornergran Thu 11-Jun-20 10:58:38

Good news susan, torrential rain forecast here too although its quite bright at the moment, unlike corner-land which is decidedly grumpy. Oh well, onwards as they say.

TOYA

Charleygirl5 Thu 11-Jun-20 10:56:14

Henry will feel better as well if he has had a decent night's sleep. Hopefully no grizzlegrumps today.

Has a dietician had the decency to get in touch with your DD or is she still going private? I would stay with the NHS- after all that young chap has been through- the care now will change and he will be so well catered for I hope your DD will need to have a seat.
TOYA

Susan56 Thu 11-Jun-20 09:18:44

I love the lavender Puzzler.Its a lovely deep colour,ours is very pale in comparison.Will look out for the Hidcote.I too love the calming scent.

Love the sound of the knitted octopus Nannytopsy.My mum is knitting a whale at the moment!??

Henry had a good night,slept six hours,the most he has slept from birth is two hours.I always think sleep is a great healer so ??He also said mama yesterday.My daughter is feeling rested and more positive today.Thank you again for all your lovely posts.

Hope everyone has a good day.Torrential rain forecast here for later in the day.

Thinking of you all.

Izabella Thu 11-Jun-20 09:01:28

Good morning from a grey and dull Shire although still filled with amazing birdsong and the smell of heavenly roses.

TOYA

Bellanonna Thu 11-Jun-20 08:51:12

I can almost smell that lavender, Puzzler. Lovely picture.

Puzzler61 Thu 11-Jun-20 06:25:39

PS it’s Hidcote variety Lavender.

Puzzler61 Thu 11-Jun-20 06:24:16

Just catching up on yesterday’s postings and I’d really like to see the knitted ? too Nannytopsy.

Susan I am a late joiner to the kitchen so not sure why Henry has been allowed to suffer so, but I dearly hope it doesn’t go on any longer now your DD has received that e mail from the surgery. Get well very soon little Henry.

What a delight for MacD to see those serene cygnets Soop? Usually at this time of year we take a short drive to a Nature Park where we can see all manner of proud parent bird life with their new offspring on the lake. It’s delightful to see a mother proudly taking her brook of chicks for a little walk all waddling along one behind the other. Of course it’s closed this year so we’ll not have that pleasure.

One more photo before I go - I hope you all enjoy this one. I’ve picked 2 sprays and tied their stems with green ribbon to give to each of my DD’s. They put them in their bedrooms to dry out and they love the calming scent.
Take care everyone. ?

Nannytopsy Thu 11-Jun-20 03:41:01

Doodle don’t hold your breath or you might expire - this blessed octopus may take a very long time! DiL has also ordered a knitted blanket for DGD. She doesn’t like to see me with nothing to do!

Lins1066 Thu 11-Jun-20 00:10:51

What a worrying time for your DD and all of you Susan, hopefully now all the medical parts of the coin will come together and give Henry the help and support he needs.

So glad that you dgd is better Nannyt, good news.
dragonfly good to hear that your blood tests were normal. Hope the vet will heal lovely Dexter, we are rooting for him.

The swans are serene soop and the Gunnera is majestic, no other word for it. We have one at the top of the garden and DH is very pleased with it, I won't show him yours, he'd be crushed.
We have had a dry day but heavy rain from 6pm, the garden needs it.
The pink blossom is lovely Puzzler, a beautiful colour.
Hope you are able to visit Broadhaven soon Mr and Mrs Dreamkeeper.
Goodnight everyone and sleep well. TOYA ?

Doodle Wed 10-Jun-20 23:30:41

susan glad to hear the surgery are being more supportive now. Obviously his illness is not affecting his adventurous side ?.
A patchwork quilt I can understand nannytopsy but a crocheted octopus sounds very complicated. I would love to see a photo when it’s finished ?
soop we have lots of goslings at the moment. We usually have cygnets too most years but haven’t seen them this year probably due to lockdown we’ve not been to their nesting area.

Nannytopsy Wed 10-Jun-20 21:24:09

Good evening everyone. We have had another very wet day - when will our weather learn moderation?! I have chosen and downloaded a patchwork pattern but also begun a crotcheted octopus. ?
It will keep me busy when it rains! Sleep tight everyone!

soop Wed 10-Jun-20 17:00:07

Thank you, Susan. I popped in hoping for an update. It really shouldn't have come to this. Little Henry deserves so much better. I shall call in again tomorrow and hope for even better news.

It's very likely that we'll need to move into a new kitchen anytime soon. I shall away to make certain that when we do move in, everything is a smart as it can be.

Until tomorrow...smile moon

Susan56 Wed 10-Jun-20 15:25:47

Just popping on to update you lovely ladies.

Henry is doing ok so long as he is given calpol and nurofen regularly.Not ideal but so long as it helps.He has a couple of hours where he is ok before he goes downhill and then it’s a case of waiting for the next dose.

While he was having a good couple of hours this morning,he managed to climb the stairs?

The GP and practice nurse have got involved and have spoken to the Senior dietician about the lack of care Henry has received.They sent my daughter a lovely email and have said she must contact them if she feels they are being neglected again.

I love his smile too Charley?

Thank you for your care and also for all the lovely photos.

Thinking of you all.

soop Wed 10-Jun-20 14:44:18

Puzzler61 Such beautiful clusters of hawthorn blossom. The colour is delicious

The gunnera has been known to reach 15'. We think that it will exceed that growth by late summer. I'm a neat 5' 1" (that inch matters!) The leaves are wider than that. The amount of growth this year has been extraordinary.

Nannytopsy and dragonfly Isn't it lovely when we us lot have good news to share. Please may there be more from Susan before too long.

It is a lovely sunny day. MacS glimpsed a pair of swans with their cygnet out on the water earlier today. By the time he had the camera ready, they were some distance from the shoreline. I am sharing his pic with you.

Charleygirl5 Wed 10-Jun-20 08:46:39

soop has the plant overtaken your house and is it somewhere in the middle?! I agree, I think you are shrinking.

Susan young Henry has been through the mill and he is not out of the woods yet but babies that age perk up quite quickly- I hope he does. I love his smile.

A nephew who lives locally has emailed me wanting to pop round to see his ancient aunt. Heaven knows where he has been because my understanding is he is not allowed in my house yet and I am not sitting in the garden with an umbrella up and my winter coat on!

I cut inches off my hair last night- the scissors were a tad blunt and I dare not look at the back because I had mega problems cutting in a sort of straight line. I have saved money and it will grow. I will not be meeting the queen.

Susan56 Tue 09-Jun-20 22:59:22

Great news Nannytopsy and dragonfly?

Henry still about the same but calpol and nurofen doing their job and keeping his temperature down????

dragonfly46 Tue 09-Jun-20 22:29:39

Good news Nannytopsy.

Doodle Tue 09-Jun-20 19:47:16

nannytopsy that is good news indeed. Hope Henry is ok too susan.
That plant is huge soop. Take care it doesn’t eat you ?

Nannytopsy Tue 09-Jun-20 18:16:19

Anno go to the paper clip symbol at the bottom of the text box to upload a photo. Which hosta is it? I want a giant one, to go in a bed of big things, including a banana. I have seen one called Tyrannosaurus rex! ?.
DGD seems to bed on the mend phew! Thanks for all of you good wishes - they seemed to work!

annodomini Tue 09-Jun-20 17:46:23

What an enormous gunnera, soop. does it get bigger every year? I hesitate to ask if you get smaller! I have just been taking a picture of my very large hosta, but not sure how to get the picture on here. It's a hosta that doesn't seem attractive to slugs as it goes on from year to year, increasing in size.

Puzzler61 Tue 09-Jun-20 17:22:46

Have a good evening dragonfly, that’s very good news for you and it’s nice to share it ?

dragonfly46 Tue 09-Jun-20 17:12:33

Wow that Gunera is indeed huge soop. day or the Triffids comes to mind.

Susan how worrying for your DD I do hope the surgery will sort something out quickly. Poor little Henry he deserves so much better.

Nannytopsy I do hope your DGD continues to improve. Such a worry when the little ones are poorly.

I had to go for a blood test at the local hospital yesterday. It was not a pleasant experience especially as I went to the wrong place. However, my lovely doctor has just texted me to say the results were normal. Such a relief as I hate scans and tests although that is the story of my life at the moment.

Take care everyone and stay safe.

Puzzler61 Tue 09-Jun-20 16:42:34

We had large clusters of ornamental hawthorn blossoms this Spring.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion