Gransnet forums

Chat

How can we get this right after Covid19?

(15 Posts)
Iam64 Tue 28-Apr-20 21:42:01

One simple thing to prevent increased homelessness would be to stop the bedroom tax. Many single men were given two bed flats partly because they had children visiting, ppmostly because so few one bed accommodation exists. They shouldn’t be evicted due to rent arrrears.
Build more social housing
Re-build our public services.
Yes it needs investment but we should invest in our society

sodapop Tue 28-Apr-20 21:28:33

I agree Hetty58 there are many and varied reasons for people to live differently. Some people do of course have mental health problems others are addicts and some as you say choose to live outdoors. One size does not fit all.

notanan2 Tue 28-Apr-20 21:20:04

It can be impossible to get off drugs in a hotel/hostel situation with your dealer two rooms away which is one (of many) reasons why people dont stay in that syle accomodation even when its offered.

Its not a simple as giving people a room. It has to be somewhere they are willing and able to stay and there are a LOT of cogs involved in that.

Bundling them all in together in hotels is no sustainable solution

Hetty58 Tue 28-Apr-20 21:17:50

EllanVannin, yet more totally weird and wrong ideas. Homeless people are a part of society. They don't need 'integration' into it. Thank goodness, we don't live in a police state, where people can be subjected to 'mental health assessments' just for choosing to live outdoors.

Our local rough sleepers live in woodland. They will never be encouraged into hostels - where they don't feel safe.

SirChenjin Tue 28-Apr-20 21:01:27

I agree Daisy. Homelessness hasn’t been a priority for this Govt up until now and there’s no reason to believe they’ll change their spots once this is over.

EllanVannin Tue 28-Apr-20 20:51:38

The NHS will remain to be inundated even after this pandemic has run its course. There'll be an influx of mis-placed persons who've lost jobs/homes etc. It'll be worse than the pandemic itself. I despair for this country, I really do.

Daisymae Tue 28-Apr-20 19:12:56

Its not really likely to happen. It will require a big commitment and things have certainly got a lot worse over the last 10 years. When this ends there are going to be massive social issues, high unemployment etc. etc. so as these people were not a priority before then I imagine it will be easy for those in authority to look the other way. I would like to be wrong on this but it would need a complete about turn by this government and I don't see the motivation.

Cabbie21 Tue 28-Apr-20 19:03:36

Homeless people I have spoken to through my voluntary work have often been very fearful of hostels where they may have been offered a place because of drug users. And of course the noise, the shared facilities which are inadequate and often filthy. People tell me they want a place on their own, and there are just not enough available. It is not an easy problem to solve.

EllanVannin Tue 28-Apr-20 18:25:59

I would hope to see mental health assessments given to each individual to assess the suitability of them being able to live a near normal life in single accommodation.

Those who are obviously suffering would do better receiving treatment in a short/long-term " secure " environment like a half-way house where staff can give one to one counselling and medication when needed in order to prepare them for integration into society. Support would also be given.

SirChenjin Tue 28-Apr-20 18:16:28

I would like to hope that both Govts make a real and honest commitment to work with charities who understand the complexities and needs of homeless people and act swiftly on their recommendations. No more lip service, meaningless sound bites or consultation exercises, but real action.

Ilovecheese Tue 28-Apr-20 17:20:26

At the present time in Manchester, a lot of homeless people have been housed in hotel rooms. I don't think the hotels should be expected to continue with this when things get more back to normal. Like others have said, some homeless people have multiple problems and don't just fit in . They need a great deal of support which is just not available.
For others, those people who have become homeless very recently, help should be easier to give.
I don't know what the answer is, it is very complicated, but also feels rather shameful in a country such as ours.

MissAdventure Tue 28-Apr-20 17:09:34

My friend's son is a sometime rough sleeper, and there are multiple other issues at play, which all impact eachother.

He has had a lot of help, but it would need to be lifelong, from multiple agencies, I would think.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 28-Apr-20 16:50:29

I also agree, however, it isn’t that simple. Some homeless people don’t want to sleep in a ‘home’. Some have other problems that makes it unlikely that they will ever settle down in one place
I’m afraid it isn’t a case of one size fits all. Cases are varied and complex.But for those who want somewhere to live permanently I hope a solution can be found.

AGAA4 Tue 28-Apr-20 16:43:44

I agree. Life on the streets is one nobody should have to live.

Applegran Tue 28-Apr-20 16:31:01

Among all the swift and necessary actions being taken to deal with Covid 19, the government asked local authorities, in a very short time frame, to make sure there are no rough sleepers on our streets. I am not sure where they all are - and I know there are real problems in hostels maintaining social distancing , but something has been done, and there are either no, or far fewer, rough sleepers in doorways and on our pavements. What will happen when lock down ends? Surely we cannot say to people - thats it! Go back on the streets! Sleep in a car park or a bus shelter if thats the best you can find! We have to be more humane than that.
Do you want to be in a country which would abandon vulnerable people who are often homeless through no fault of their own? I hope in planning for the future the government will do much to reduce all kinds of suffering - and that homeless people and rough sleepers will be helped in a dignified, effective and humane way to have better lives.