Gransnet forums

Chat

Airlines unable to use social distancing

(20 Posts)
farview Sat 02-May-20 17:21:41

Some of us have to fly to see our children and grandchildren.....

Tricia247uk Sat 02-May-20 17:19:06

rockgran can you get a refund for your rail card? Might be worth checking

PamelaJ1 Sat 02-May-20 17:11:34

When we got off the plane we isolated for 2 weeks. No need to take it to your familyAGGA4, off a plane that is.
Just means you have to take a longer holiday and it will cost more.?

AGAA4 Sat 02-May-20 15:21:41

Thanks for all your replies. The common theme seems to be that we will take our chances to see our grandchildren. I can relate to that as I want to see mine.

I don't know how the airlines will cope in the short term as they think people will need 7 seats empty around them for social distancing and that would not be economical for the airlines.

I am sure they will want to get going again as soon as possible but there will be a risk to passengers for a time.
Taking temperatures and face masks has been discussed.

I would hate to pick up the virus on a plane or train and take it to my family.

BlueSky Fri 01-May-20 21:09:17

Good to hear a lot of positive views, grannies will not be beaten where there are DC and DGC! smile

storynanny Fri 01-May-20 20:57:31

I’ll have to as well if I want to see two of my adult sons and grandchildren

PamelaJ1 Fri 01-May-20 20:46:43

Well we did it Gabriella, we didn’t have much choice as we needed to return to the U.K.
The plane was packed and, luckily, we had no problems.
We will do it again when we go and visit DD again. Thank goodness we only go about every 18months so , hopefully, the airlines will have sorted themselves out by them.

BTW I can’t see why the cabin crew have got to keep feeding us. We could buy sandwiches at the airport to keep us going. The food is generally not very nice anyway and would help the staff to keep away from us.
I fly to Australia, so not short haul, and I could do it.

BlueSky Fri 01-May-20 20:18:22

I try not to think about this or I panick. Will I ever visit my overseas family again? They could visit being much younger but I actually enjoyed even the long trip, the anticipation and the weeks spent with my DC and DGC!

GagaJo Fri 01-May-20 20:17:24

I’ll have to, to go to work.

SueDonim Fri 01-May-20 20:05:01

Well, I don’t want to, Gabriella but at some point in the future, if I ever want to see my son again, I’ll have to. Unless I learn to walk on water and even then 3,000+ miles is a long way!

GabriellaG54 Fri 01-May-20 19:41:51

Who'd want to fly with several hundred others cheek by jowl for several hours...eh?
Any takers?

GabriellaG54 Fri 01-May-20 19:40:06

Buses are fine where I am. Clean as new and the seats and all interiors are immaculate. No passengers or very very few. 3-4 at most.

SueDonim Fri 01-May-20 19:35:39

Before you board a plane you’ll have to risk the airport so I don’t know that social distancing on planes themselves will make that much difference.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 01-May-20 17:52:50

They won’t be able to accommodate social distancing for Airline staff and flight crews though will they?

EllanVannin Fri 01-May-20 17:35:43

Airlines could easily move a few seats to accommodate the distancing problem----or don't book so many on the one flight.
If they want their businesses to pick up they'll have to learn to compromise under these circumstances until it's safe to fly a full quota of passengers.

Air fares are going up anyway so they should give a bit of slack to the situation.
It'll save the over-booking that's done anyway.

Davidhs Fri 01-May-20 17:30:13

It will be up to the individual to decide what risk they are willing to take, there will be advice from the Government bit we all have a different attitude to risk. On public transport of all sorts the risk is high, at least at airports it is practical to take temperature checks.

This is going to cause problems for businesses with some
employees willing to work and some not, absolute safe levels will not be for some time.

AGAA4 Fri 01-May-20 17:21:04

It will be hard on people when only very low risk able to fly till vaccine available

AGAA4 Fri 01-May-20 16:20:38

The only way I can get to my son's house is by train so he will have to visit me.
The drive is too long for me but he is ok to do it.

rockgran Fri 01-May-20 16:16:04

I'm really miffed that we both bought a Senior Rail card for the first time in February and have used them once. £70 wasted! Ah, well! C'est la vie!

AGAA4 Fri 01-May-20 15:59:02

Airlines are saying that it may only be the very low risk passengers who will be able to fly until we are safe from covid19.
Trains and buses not safe either. I won't be going anywhere on public transport for a long time.