Gransnet forums

Chat

Living in a Bubble

(19 Posts)
BlueSky Sat 02-May-20 17:53:36

Hi Rufus no most eating places closed, but some have started up again as Take Aways. Such a sad picture but then needs must if we want the get back to something resembling normality, or maybe new normal as they say now. I see that Australia is doing quite well, more or less back to normal. You are lucky you don't have so many people and they do as they are told, or hefty fines I hear! Take care and good health to you too.

Rufus2 Sat 02-May-20 15:09:12

Couldn't you pretend you were not fully recovered and still needed her visits perhaps just once a week
BlueSky She's smarter than me and would say "Nice try, but no way"! After all her handiwork I now look healthier and heartier than ever (joke smile)
Who knows? I've still got BPPV, although that could lead to ICU if a bed is free, and beyond the reach of Jacqui, so I'll play it safe for now! hmm
Now I'm getting morbid! sad
How are you coping down there in the SW?
You never said which part; we used to know Devon/Cornwall very well' my niece lives in Bideford, but the rest of our families are no longer with us. Some lovely holiday spots.
Are all the quaint tea-shops still allowed to open, maybe as takeaways? Economies will take forever to recover.
Take care and Good Health
Cheers

BlueSky Sat 02-May-20 12:07:22

Pleased you are on the mend Rufus shame about nurse Jacqui. Couldn't you pretend you were not fully recovered and still needed her visits perhaps just once a week?

Rufus2 Sat 02-May-20 11:44:37

Good Evening fellow lock-downers!
Just been talking to our Michelle (B'mouth); only lasted 1hr. 10mins. this time, mainly about you know what! Her bad news is that sales of Corona beer have taken a hit! sadNever heard of it!
My news is both good and bad.
First the good news: I'm now better and have been discharged from twice weekly home nursing visits.
Second the bad news; that means I won't be seeing nurse Jacqui again! We said farewell last Monday and I said it reminded me of that 1942 film "Casablanca" where Humphrey (Rick) said goodbye to Ingrid on the tarmac before she had to board that plane. Audiences wept!
Jacqui knew nothing of that of course, not being half my age, but it was her birthday last Thursday so I did manage to present her with a box of thank you choccies with my heartfelt thanks, despite her protests that it would be unprofessional for her to accept and that she was dieting.!
But, as they say, "love conquers all" and she accepted! grin Anyway, it was a nice dream!
Now back to earth and time to prepare dinner! depends what's in the freezer. hmm
Back soon I hope

PamelaJ1 Sat 02-May-20 11:25:39

EllenVannin, before we flew back to the U.K. we were confined to a hotel for 6 days. We had food and toiletries left outside the door. Bit like prison?
No way, we had a lovely bathroom a comfy bed , sofa and television. ....and each other?

Now we are back we are finding it easy to stay in. There will be an end to this.

Harris27 Sat 02-May-20 10:10:09

I read Harrigrans post and remeber being 9 at the time the whole country didn’t shut down then wonder now if this is a thing we’ll have to face again? Yes thank goodness for technology kept me sane!

JenniferEccles Sat 02-May-20 09:52:38

Yes it is hard and we are all missing our normal lives but I am concentrating on how lucky we are here compared with some European countries where people haven’t even had the freedom to go out for a walk when they feel like it.

We definitely need to restrict the number of shopping trips we make in a week but having the freedom to just leave the house for exercise is wonderful !

It’s even been clarified that we are permitted to drive somewhere to exercise providing the subsequent walk is longer than the drive.

I think the government has got the balance about right here by controlling the spread of the virus yet giving us enough freedom so that too many people aren’t tempted to completely rebel.

BlueBelle Sat 02-May-20 09:24:58

I miss the activity of my job I live alone and it was my social life I still see my family that live near me (from a garden path distance) and talk to them everyday My other two children and families live overseas so I m completely used to not seeing them but my job was my reason for getting up, my laugh, my contact with normality, that and my regular coffees /lunches with friends and a little wander around the shops
I can keep going as I have my allotment and a beach to walk on so I m lucky but it’s the human contact missing I keep in touch with all my friends by phone and iPad but it’s not the same is it ?
I m not grumbling just saying

BlueSky Sat 02-May-20 09:16:54

I think a lot depends on how sociable you are. I'm the first one to admit I'm not sociable so this suits me to a certain degree, my DH instead, being a very sociable person, is suffering!

Puzzler61 Sat 02-May-20 09:07:06

Oopsadaisy3 I know you’re absolutely right, but I still yearn for freedom, especially at the weekends.

harrigran Sat 02-May-20 09:07:00

My DS was just saying last night how incredibly lucky we are to be in lockdown with the technology we have today, he is working from home 11 hours a day writing software.
He asked me to imagine what it would have been like 40 or 50 years ago, I don't have to imagine, I nursed a very sick DH and baby through the flu in 1969, I did not even have a telephone and nobody would come to the house.

Namsnanny Sat 02-May-20 08:52:08

It is coming under pressure to pop.
Judging by the increase in traffic on the roads and of course some takeaway's re opening.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 02-May-20 08:51:12

EllanVannin no it isn’t how prisoners feel! My SIL works in a Prison and she will soon tell you the difference.
For heavens sake , we are in our own homes, we can go out for walks and we can contact family and friends at any time of day or night on the phone or computer. We can cook, read, sew, potter around, we aren’t locked up.
It isn’t for life, it’s a relatively short term measure considering the risks involved.

PamelaJ1 Sat 02-May-20 08:45:19

Rufus, are you in NSW?
My DD says you are now allowed to visit 2 people. I think that means at the same time?
Is the bubble popping over there?

EllanVannin Sat 02-May-20 08:39:12

Although this confinement is for the better, it's not really doing you any good !
Is this how prisoners feel who are serving life ?

BlueSky Sat 02-May-20 08:14:34

Hi Michael what can we do but comply to live in a bubble. How long for though? I manage but do miss the freedom of deciding my day.

Hi Rufus what happened to your 'Letter from Australia?' I for one, miss them!

Baggs Sat 02-May-20 08:12:38

You must be feeling the confinement badly, Mick, and missing your trips out. I hope you can resume them soon.

I live in a bit of an isolation bubble much of the time by virtue of living a bit "offroad". I love it. C-19 has made a difference, of course, but probably not as much as some people are feeling.

Before the C-19 era the phrase "living in a bubble" was a reference, in my interpretation, to media and elite types with an "in London scarcely looking out" view of Britain.

Rufus2 Sat 02-May-20 07:34:09

G'Day Mick;
I thought it referred to that Jerry Seinfeld episode "The Bubble Boy" which unfortunately deflated during a skirmish with George. grin
Keep indoors and keep well!
OoRoo

12Michael Sat 02-May-20 07:08:34

Although the above subject is often referred to sporting events, such as Olympics or Cycling Grand Tours where you are living in a team environment for the duration .
Today it relates to Lockdown ,as you are confined to your premises, and can go out for walks or shop , with no body contact with others.
Mick