Gransnet forums

Chat

My hair is driving me mad!!!!

(67 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 09-May-20 11:56:22

Any ideas about what to do with my fringe!!! It is so long now and i am afraid to try cutting it. Last time i did it it looked awful, i am currently just twisting it up then pinning back off my forehead but it really doesnt suit me. Anyone come up with ideas for fringes??

lilypollen Wed 27-May-20 16:22:58

With the news that salons might not open for another two months I gave myself a trim this morning! I haven't had a cut for 13 weeks. I did the sides of the bob and DH did the back. Despite online advice I cut straight with a bit of feathering. It looks neat and has really given me a boost.

Coolgran65 Mon 18-May-20 00:41:43

I think Boris said some time ago that he always cuts his own hair........

lilypollen Mon 18-May-20 00:00:22

I've just realised that I don't look at other people's hair when we have a suitably socially distanced conversation these days!!

LadyGracie Tue 12-May-20 11:14:01

I cut mine this morning, pinned the sides back combed my fringe straight, cut a little off, combed fringe straight and cut again, I eventually cut at least an inch off, combed it fluffed it up, combed it, looks good.

NfkDumpling Tue 12-May-20 06:35:46

grin

Alexa Mon 11-May-20 20:22:40

If Boris had a bob his hair might not stick out so much. He would look rather nice in a shoulder length pageboy

Alexa Mon 11-May-20 20:21:06

Tight suits look cheap to me too, Grandmafrench. Maybe I am just old fashioned in my taste but I don't think so.

NfkDumpling Mon 11-May-20 19:27:17

I think Thomas Schafferknackers is looking rather good with longer hair.

NfkDumpling Mon 11-May-20 19:25:50

Boris will have a bob by then.

NfkDumpling Mon 11-May-20 19:25:26

Hairdressers to open in July.

Sparklefizz Mon 11-May-20 18:45:19

I like seeing the female presenters with their hair looking less than perfect now that they are having to do it themselves.

Our local newsreader has dark roots showing in her blonde hair, and Sophie Raworth's hair looked a bit messy the other evening on V E Day, when she was doing a presentation outside Buckingham Palace, and obviously looked even worse when it became windy.

I liked her all the more for it!

The presenters on the Breakfast Shows all look a bit tired, when presumably that tiredness is covered up by professional makeup.

Grandmafrench Mon 11-May-20 18:43:37

I think it's a modern look, Alexa. I really dislike it, very tight trousers especially on chunky legs, skinny at the calves and often set off with what look to be huge winkle picker shoes! To me it just looks cheap, but what do I know.

I have cut my DH's hair. He has cut and coloured the back of mine, I did the same to the front. No harsh words were exchanged or punches thrown and we now feel slightly better and in control. Since Hairdressers are destined to possibly be the last to work again, I now feel I can forget about it all for a good while!

Alexa Mon 11-May-20 18:29:15

I don't like very fitted suits on men.

Lizbethann55 Sun 10-May-20 18:55:26

Countryfile is just finishing Thomas Schafferthingy is doing the weather. He is certainly not looking his usual smart self. It is obvious no one is even trying to cut his hair. I still think he is lovely!!!grin

Dillyduck Sun 10-May-20 17:06:03

I've trimmed my fringe twice, and after much persuasion, eldest son cut some off the back a while ago. I have always cut my son's hair with electric trimmers, and I'm seriously considering clipping my own at the back. It's very thick, and it's driving me nuts!!! After all, only my son is going to see it, because of Lockdown.

CBBL Sun 10-May-20 17:04:05

I don't have a fringe - but I try to keep my hair short, as my hair is very fine. I decided before the lockdown to grow out the colour, as I felt I was getting too old to bother. No-one sees me except my hubby, and he always says I look beautiful, even though I know perfectly well that it is not true!
I did however, buy a comb with two trimming edges (it has razor blades in it). I regularly use it to keep my hair short and layered. I can't see to cut the back at the very bottom and I can't persuade hubby to cut it, even though I trim his (he has a "Braun" shaver)!

Rosina Sun 10-May-20 16:00:08

I do the twist and snip method - works quite well. The great thing is though that even if you do mess it up - it grows!

Urmstongran Sun 10-May-20 15:45:51

Brush hair back - it covers the ‘badger’ look that shows with a parting when roots need doing - and slide a hairband in. That’s what I’ve been doing. I just wish I had lovely thick hair. It’s on my shoulders now and SO fine. It reminds me why I don’t grow it this length!

Nanna58 Sun 10-May-20 15:30:06

Just chipping into the fringe to keep the sheepdog look at bay, but may use the slightly longer hair to choose a different style when eventually back at hairdressers. One thing I couldn’t live with was grey, never coloured myself before . I would definitely recommend the Josh Wood website, very in-depth online consultation to pick colour, you can buy from them direct and I was truly delighted with the result.

gillyknits Sun 10-May-20 14:53:13

I’ve just cut my hair really short. It grows so thick, that it’s unmanageable.I haven’t a clue what it really looks like at the back, but the front is fine! ??

Juicylucy Sun 10-May-20 13:46:34

Google” how to trim a fringe “ and you will get videos showing you the easiest best way.

Lancslass1 Sun 10-May-20 13:22:17

My DH normally goes to the barber regularly and has most of his lovely silver hair cut off.
Now of course he can’t.
His hair is lovely and thick and he looks 10 years younger.
I have suggested that when things get back to normal he just gets the back cut

Lizbethann55 Sun 10-May-20 13:12:45

I wonder how Claudia Winkleman is doing? I have often wondered what "bangs" were. Is it an American word for fringe? The front of my hair flicks up when it gets too long and I hate it! It has just started to flick. It is family zoom this afternoon, so I may try these trimming hints after zoom time so it will have a week to grow out as I will probably make a total mess of it. I have absolutely no spacial awareness when looking in a mirror

Paperbackwriter Sun 10-May-20 13:10:45

I always cut my fringe, have done for years. Just never do it when it's wet and if you've got hair as thick as mine, chop into it after you've got the length more or less right so it's not a solid lump but has some definition. That way, it doesn't matter so much if it's not perfectly straight.

Aepgirl Sun 10-May-20 12:55:09

Most people are having hair ‘problems’ so I’m just embracing the ‘mad old lady’ look. I’m certainly not going to join the rush when my hairdresser reopens - I’ve put up with it for 7 weeks or so, a few more and it could be interesting.