Gransnet forums

Chat

Your view...?

(19 Posts)
BlueSky Sat 09-May-20 18:55:04

FarNorth of course I'm talking for those of us lucky enough to have retired! That's why I said that I understand the need for slowly easing the lockdown.

Kalu Sat 09-May-20 18:51:02

May sound dramatic but I view covid 19 as an invisible killer which I, being retired, can fortunately take all and any steps to avoid. However I also appreciate the devastating effect on the economy and those who must earn a salary or are needed to work on the front line.

If only the selfish others had a conscience to question if their poo, poo attitude to the guidelines for the good of ALL and realise their selfishness could well cost another the chance of life or death.

Possibly more stringent rules are the only outcome to make eventual easing of lockdown clearer for the powers that be to make more sensible decisions. It may also be time for all to have paper proof as to why their journey is necessary.

Hetty58 Sat 09-May-20 18:24:16

I think we'll be underwhelmed by the few changes announced tomorrow. At least, I hope there will be few. I can't agree that 'the recession looming is just as terrifying'.

MawB is quite right. We can look at what's been done in other countries - and the consequences.

GabriellaG54 Sat 09-May-20 18:19:13

It's a mish-mash of information which should have had well thought out joined-up thinking.
As it is, actual numbers have been suppressed and not just in the UK. Hospitals built with no patients using them and doctors sending care home elderly back into their care homes despite knowing full well that they have Covid-19, thus infecting other residents. Hence the high number of deaths in those facilities.

GabriellaG54 Sat 09-May-20 18:13:00

Hackney police have despaired at keeping lockdown under control as the so-called 'covidiots' have been out in force on roads in parks and on beaches, the latter not in Hackney.
Another article slams Boris for loosening restrictions from Monday as people will not be able to return to work due to the rules governing separation on transport and fewer trains and buses running.

Lucca Sat 09-May-20 17:15:31

In my view this has not been lockdown anyway. Not if you compare it to Spain Italy etc. People are allowed out everyday to shop and to exercise here.
I do also think info has been sometimes unclear ? Leading to discussions a about what you are allowed and not allowed to do.
Does anyone know the real truth behind stories that children don’t pass the virus on? In Australia this seems to be the view.

MawB Sat 09-May-20 17:06:47

It’s not often in life we get the opportunity to learn from the mistakes of others.
Why, oh why can’t we do that now?

eazybee Sat 09-May-20 17:04:53

Too many people have already started lifting restrictions after yesterday's jollifications, plus it being a wonderful sunny bank holiday weekend.
In my opinion the press acted irresponsibly in intimating that Downing Street was about to relax lockdown, thus raising people's expectations only for them to be dashed.

FarNorth Sat 09-May-20 15:24:25

This doesn't stop anybody to carry on as they've done for the past 6+ weeks.

It does for anyone who needs to make a living and is expected to get back to work.
It's fine for those of us on pensions to just stay put.

Harris27 Sat 09-May-20 15:08:42

I think if you’re still working like I am the longer it goes on the more worrying the economy. I’m 60 and don’t want to have to start looking for a job now, the recession will killl people as well as this virus.

oscaro11 Sat 09-May-20 15:04:05

I think proceed with extreme caution is the message needed. I’m quite happy to carry on as I am. I’d rather that than get it. I’ve got used to supermarket deliveries now so I’ll just carry on. A few months out of our lives are better than no more months alive.

rosie1959 Sat 09-May-20 15:03:33

I think the government will proceed with caution and keep the lockdown for another 3 weeks Hopefully opening garden centres
But pretty sure plans are being made to get the economy moving again Coronavirus is terrible but the recession looming is just as terrifying.
We have a small company and can manage for a while but the hope of recovery is just as concerning

Charleygirl5 Sat 09-May-20 14:52:46

Unfortunately hairdressers will not be opening anytime soon because there it is very much "up close and personal" so I will be staying indoors-what are another few weeks of my life? I am alive.

I believe my local fish and chip shop is opening next week- hopefully the small buasinesses like that will get going again.

BlueSky Sat 09-May-20 14:48:16

Yes but they've got to start to slowly ease restrictions, which they can and will reinstate if that happens. This doesn't stop anybody to carry on as they've done for the past 6+ weeks. I know I will for the foreseeable future. Hopefully people will understand that the virus hasn't gone away.

Anniebach Sat 09-May-20 14:46:50

I so agree

Coolgran65 Sat 09-May-20 14:41:36

I agree. I'm going nowhere.

Wibby Sat 09-May-20 14:38:00

And thats why Im staying in isolation!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-May-20 14:34:51

Absolutely agree ??

GabriellaG54 Sat 09-May-20 14:33:33

Germany and S Korea regretting their decision to lift lockdown as infections and deaths rise.
We should proceed with caution.
You can't see it, you can't hear it but it's out there waiting.