Gransnet forums

Chat

Will the Staying Alert send out mixed messages

(146 Posts)
12Michael Sun 10-May-20 11:39:56

Using Staying Alert in England , where Scotland and Wales and maybe NI will still use Stay Home.
To me Stay Alert means being on the ALERT to all things.
The slogan could also be misread like all Government gobbledegook .
If Stay Home was redone as Stay at Home, but also state what that means , As we are aware we need to shop and exercise as part of are daily routine .
But how many will misread it all.
Mick

MayBee70 Thu 14-May-20 21:10:00

It was of vital importance that what was said was clear and concise. It wasn't.

GabriellaG54 Thu 14-May-20 20:25:09

WW3 about what was written, what was said and what was heard. ?????

MayBee70 Thu 14-May-20 20:09:51

But maddyone; you're the one that stated that the PM definitely said that people were to return to work from Wednesday onwards which he definitely didn't say. I've listened to the speech 3 times now and still can't find where he said that. DH listened to it with me and he agrees. So can you not admit that you were confused by the speech also?

maddyone Tue 12-May-20 00:03:09

Lemon
You only need look at some of the posts on here.

Furret Mon 11-May-20 22:18:04

What an utter shambles.

etheltbags1 Mon 11-May-20 21:42:20

I listened to last nights broadcast in puzzlement. Do we go back to work this week. Do we wear masks etc. I went out of my door to see a man jumping out of a taxi and hugging another man in the street. My neighbour all have visitors. I went back in the house where ive been all day. Im staying in unless popping to my mothers while keeping outside . So scary

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 11-May-20 20:44:51

After listening to this today, I agree Mick,

www.facebook.com/642444842524195/videos/2664289803816535

Please take 5.22 mins to listen to this man and his psychoanalysis of BJ's speech.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 11-May-20 18:13:06

I saw on the TV that paid nannies and childminders can start work again. I was a flash up on the tv.

lemongrove Mon 11-May-20 15:57:27

Never was a truer word spoken maddy ?

maddyone Mon 11-May-20 14:20:40

Judging by the public’s responses, I think it’ll need to be (idiot proof.)

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-May-20 14:13:02

I have looked at the Gov.co.uk website as we are business owners, the guidelines are concise and easy to follow (idiot proof really)

maddyone Mon 11-May-20 13:53:09

GrannyGravy and Daisymae
Thank God I’m not going mad. I knew I’d heard Wednesday but someone on the other thread has disputed this by reproducing a small chunk of the speech from The Guardian.
Boris clearly said Wednesday. But only if you can’t work from home, if you can work from home, continue to work from home.
Actually I thought the speech was extremely clear. At the end I understood what I can and cannot do, and what others can and cannot do. I have to conclude that some people can’t understand and retain so much information in one go. If they could, they would know what they have to do. There is to be further information published today and as I understand it GrannyGravy from what you have said, the government website gives clear information and guidelines for employers. I’m not an employer so I don’t need to concern myself with that, but it’s there for those who want/need further information.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-May-20 12:38:33

maddyone I heard Wednesday, there are clear and precise guidelines on Gov.co.uk., but hey ho people prefer to listen to shock jock presenters than go to the correct source.

maddyone Mon 11-May-20 12:08:51

It’s not about taking the dog out. It’s about when people can potentially go back to work.

Daisymae Mon 11-May-20 12:05:38

Yes, he did say Wednesday. But why not today? Personally i am thinking about taking the dog out tonight for the second time!

Blinko Mon 11-May-20 11:59:12

Thanks, GG13

maddyone Mon 11-May-20 11:55:27

No, Boris clearly said from Wednesday last night. I listened to the address and I heard him. Clearly some people can’t retain that much information in one go. It was said last night.

Ilovecheese Mon 11-May-20 11:42:31

Maddyone The confusion arose because the advice from the Government changed between last night (work if you can from monday) and this morning (work if you can from Wednesday.

Goodbyetoallthat Mon 11-May-20 11:19:41

Well I am glad to hear that employers " will be flexible" I know of several who aren't & in fairness cannot afford to be as the survival of their business is on the line too.
There is a huge gulf between those of us who are working & do not require childcare & those that do.
In response to a previous poster regarding what would parents have done if their childcare provider was sick etc, they would often relied on grandparents to step in which they cannot now do.

maddyone Mon 11-May-20 11:07:36

Baggs and notanan2 and grannygravy
Thank goodness some people are not confused. I thought it was perfectly clear. And we always knew there is going to be a bigger document released today. And as some have said, people always knew they would be going back to work, they should have been planning for that ie discussing childcare arrangements with their employers. Employers will be flexible.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-May-20 11:02:08

Ilovecheese no confusion it is all on the Gov.co.uk website, just sloppy journalism!!!

maddyone Mon 11-May-20 10:57:20

I’m sorry, but I don’t buy into this confusion. Workers were told not to return until Wednesday. What’s ambiguous about that? Wednesday. Why are people returning today? Have I gone to sleep on Sunday night and woken up on Wednesday? And the instruction to go back when social distancing measures can be maintained so maybe not even on Wednesday. It’s not confusing. Further guidance will be announced today. Obviously in one ten minute address to the nation the guidelines for every part of life can’t be given. We will be given further guidance as the situation develops.

Ilovecheese Mon 11-May-20 10:57:13

Dominic Raab has given 2 conflicting messages regarding meeting parents in the space of one morning. How is this not confusing?

Ilovecheese Mon 11-May-20 10:55:47

Grannygravy13 on the Victoria Derbyshire show this morning she advised that cleaners should not go into people's homes. Looks like the press is confused too.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-May-20 10:50:31

I am getting worried notanan2 as I find myself agreeing with you more and more ??