Gransnet forums

Chat

PMs message

(799 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Sun 10-May-20 19:20:05

Well, whaddya think?

I thought he came across very well. No long words. No faffing. Plain and simple.

notanan2 Mon 11-May-20 06:55:38

People can't go "wherever they want". They can go outdoors.

You cant go to a gig or the movies. You can go outside away from others.

vegansrock Mon 11-May-20 07:05:41

I didn’t say people “could go wherever they want” I said they could now “go out as much as they like- ” Walking, exercising, Picnicking, walking on the beach and driving to get there, playing football in the park, tennis all been given the green light, god help the police enforcing the social distancing rules.

vegansrock Mon 11-May-20 07:11:12

Perhaps someone who found it all so clear could explain why people arriving on planes should quarantine ( and tell us when that will start) and those coming on ferries and trains don’t have to? ( and it looks likely coming from France exempt).

vegansrock Mon 11-May-20 07:19:00

Just listening to Nick Ferrari on LBC- he’s saying how confusing it all is. Someone who finds all all so simple should call in and explain it all to him.

Lucca Mon 11-May-20 07:20:26

Agree with you about inward travel and quarantining. No idea what is going on. How is it policed ? Are people put in hotel as in Australia?

Just a small point ....tennis etc only with own household. And no guidance as yet obviously from the LTA so it may be only if you own your own tennis court...

almostelderly Mon 11-May-20 07:31:29

I found it very confusing. There were no clear guidelines on who was returning to work today and what measures were in place for them. Have steps been taken to protect people travelling to work in London, not everyone can walk, cycle or travel by car. It appears one can now leave home at will, chat to strangers but not meet family. Is anyone else confused?

tanith Mon 11-May-20 07:33:03

Sorry but those of you that say BJ was clear, you only have to read this thread to know that he was about as clear as mud, everyone has a different understanding of every single thing he said. He has confused us all no one knows what they can or cannot do so it’s just guesswork and common sense and hope we get it right.
I predict a new spike very soon and will depend on my own common sense to avoid it.

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-May-20 07:45:34

Well, notanan2, I think some things are inherently more contact and complicated than your workplace. Some jobs require two pairs of hands. I wish my son-in-law worked for a company that was more responsible but I feel without compulsion some companies will not behave very responsibly to their employees.

You may ridicule my fears but I’ve seen it on the ground already I’m afraid, prior to lockdown.

So many businesses need two workers in close proximity at some point. Manufacturing of some items, lifting certain things, mechanics sometimes, house removals, people who travel to jobs in a works van with others, people in small spaces/workshops which require several people to function at all - these are very complex work situations and not at all easy to manage.

I’m not hostile to going back to work. I have a business, my mother had two, my father also added a business for 30+ years. I know what good employers look like. Unfortunately I also know what not-so-good ones do.

Daisymae Mon 11-May-20 07:54:45

So confusion reigns. Business leaders are struggling with this as much as anyone.

Grannyflower Mon 11-May-20 07:57:51

If BJ’s speech was as clear, as some here would have us believe, then there wouldn’t be so much confusion. There is no need for name calling or judgement of others if they do not share your opinion.

Daisymae Mon 11-May-20 08:06:36

Apparently we can now meet our relatives outside according to Dominate Raab. So there you go. Watch the infection rates 10 days from now.

vegansrock Mon 11-May-20 08:32:04

Presumably you can play tennis more than 2 metres apart. Don’t know about football, but the pm said “sports” could be played.
Lots of parks around here have courts which have been locked - presumably they can open? . Golf could be an easy one to distance as well, as long as club house is closed.

Grannynannywanny Mon 11-May-20 08:46:02

Dominic Raab on BBC this morning commented on meeting family...

"If you're out in the park and you're 2m apart... and use some common sense and you socially-distance, you can meet up with other people."
Asked if someone could meet more than two people at different times, for example their mother in the morning and father in the afternoon, Mr Raab said: "Outside in the outdoors, staying 2m apart, yes."

sodapop Mon 11-May-20 08:50:22

I picked up on the Eurostar and ferry issue as well vegansrock no mention of them.

France is allowing people from UK in without quarantine so suppose it had to be reciprocal. Brings a visit to my family a bit closer.

Urmstongran Mon 11-May-20 08:53:16

Perhaps businesses who exploit their workforce (pay, conditions etc) might find their employees jump ship after all this. Good.

Quite a few dodgy small businesses don’t deserve the loyalty of their workers. I’d tell them to stick the job if I felt unsafe.

FarNorth Mon 11-May-20 09:00:10

"Avoid public transport, if possible."
Just one example of woolly thinking.

The unions say the changes are "potentially lethal".

morningstaronline.co.uk/article/boris-johnsons-back-work-message-recipe-chaos-potentially-lethal-consequences-say-unions

FarNorth Mon 11-May-20 09:02:19

sodapop that's a very short sighted view.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-May-20 09:05:52

I think the main re-spread is going to come from the workforce returning.

The biggest issue is transport. Over the weekend we were told that with the need to continue stick social distancing there was only sufficient public transport for a tenth of the work force, but no indication how that will be enforced.

Today and from Wednesday people are being encouraged to return to work.

One hopes that particularly small employers don’t exploit their workforce by having insufficient protection in place. Leaving such a dangerous environment won’t be easy as it is expected that unemployment is going to rocket

I do hope that this won’t see a massive rise in car use as our lovely air will go back to March2020☹️

FarNorth Mon 11-May-20 09:05:57

Urmstongran, I expect a lot of people prefer to be in work of some sort, rather than face the difficulties of dealing with the DWP.
You may not be aware, but jobs are not likely to be plentiful as we come out of lockdown, and afterwards.

lemongrove Mon 11-May-20 09:09:31

Sussexborn ?
Yes, some need to have things hammered into them over and over before they get it.

What on Earth is woolly about saying ‘avoid public transport where you can ?!
Go by car, walk or cycle ......but if you can’t then use a bus or train.

Serendipity22 Mon 11-May-20 09:11:42

Ok.... despite the fact I have the upmost respect for Boris.... I believe he is doing his best in this absolute nightmare.... and we all rightfully have our own opinions on the matter so I'm not ' lighting the ticker taper and standing back ' ... I'm just saying smile.

Sooooo, can i ask what everyone's opinion is .... ok, so now we can go for walk with someone of different household.... so, I have MS and I walk with a stick ... so if I went for a walk with my daughter there would be me, her and my of my GC.... would it be acceptable for them to come to the garden and play while I sat on the path ( well over 6ft distance ) given the fact I cant walk far ?

Thank you in advance for your comment smile

Serendipity22 Mon 11-May-20 09:12:45

Sorry .... meant to say 2 of my GC .....

lemongrove Mon 11-May-20 09:13:46

The unions can’t expect cast iron guarantees for workers, including teachers.What do they expect, that nobody returns to work or school for over a year until a vaccine is found?
By then we won’t have an economy and parents will have gone crazy.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-May-20 09:19:23

I think lemon that the unions are not expecting cast iron guarantees.

What they are saying and offering is their task force of health and safety experts to the government.

The are saying that they would like to see a tripartite of cooperation between the two main political parties and unions to work together to face this issue.

Sounds fair enough and very sensible as everyone would feel included in the huge task ahead of us of getting out of this lockdown and facing an economic recession.

FarNorth Mon 11-May-20 09:21:08

Btw, Boris also wasn't clear that most of these changes apply only to England.

www.thenational.scot/news/18439358.nicola-sturgeon-says-pm-clearer-speaking-just-england/?ref=eb