Gransnet forums

Chat

Hay fever time with asthmatic cough

(12 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Tue 12-May-20 08:12:46

Advise please does anyone else from Gransnet who has asthma get hay fever my husband had a horrible bout yesterday runny eyes runny nose a wheeze tiredness. How does it affect you?

sodapop Tue 12-May-20 08:33:47

Fortunately not the runny eyes etc Elizabeth1 but my asthmatic wheezing and coughing is a lot worse. I'm using my inhaler regularly for two months on the advice of my doctor.
It's difficult at the moment isn't it when you have these problems.

Marydoll Tue 12-May-20 09:00:47

Mine is really bad just now Elizabeth, it's making me miserable. I have a terrible cough and sticky eyes.
However, I have a rescue pack of steroids to take if it gets any worse, hopefully it wont! Usually at this time of year it gets so bad, I end up on steroids and antibiotics, as it acerbates my chronic asthma.

It's lovely to see you posting on a more regular basis, Elizabeth, I hope you are making good progress.

Nortsat Tue 12-May-20 09:08:55

Sorry to hear this Elizabeth, I suffer this too.

My advice is that he should
- follow his asthma plan
- record his peak flow, at least once a day before he takes any meds
- increase asthma meds when/if peak flow declines
- take hay fever meds as prescribed
- expect to feel more fatigued and take plenty of rest
- rest and sleep propped up on a number of pillows
- if peak flow falls too low - it’s 111 and A&E.

Don’t underestimate the impact of asthma ... it can be incredibly debilitating.
Best wishes to him and you ?

Sparklefizz Tue 12-May-20 09:14:00

Sorry to hear this Elizabeth. I suffer both of these too. I also find that stress exacerbates my asthma so it has got worse since lockdown.

I put up with it for a while, but eventually rang the surgery and the doctor doubled my preventer inhaler dose, and then said after 7 days to double it yet again, so now I am taking 4 times my usual preventer dose .... and don't have to use my reliever much. I am also taking an antihistamine.

As said above, does he have an asthma plan? I know that if my peak flow drops to a certain level, that is the point I must take action and phone 111.

Elizabeth1 Tue 12-May-20 09:15:14

Hi Marydoll I’m making really good progress thank you I think I worry more though and I think I have good reason to. My walking has greatly improved and the only part of my body still sleeping is my left hand which I’m working on. I too get a touch of hay fever which I’ve never had before and unfortunately I’m having to stay in when we’ve got such good weather never mind all is good life is good and I’ll soon be getting lots of cuddles

Elizabeth1 Tue 12-May-20 09:38:36

Thank you Nortsat andSparklefizz my husband believes he’s in control and doesn’t need a nagging wife to remind him what to do unfortunately he’s doing the work of a carer while I’m a little incapacitated he’s doing the meals now something I’ve done for over50 yrs - talk about a stressful household. It is getting easier. sunshinesmile

GrannyGravy13 Tue 12-May-20 09:42:10

Monitoring your peak flow is really important, using a steroid nasal spray (beconase (sp) or similar) helps if used regularly.

My GPS approach is that if you have an asthmatic cough then the asthma is not under control, give your GP a phone.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 12-May-20 09:43:47

Hi Elizabeth it’s horrible isn’t it? I have to up up my dose of Fostair and add Ventolin if needed and it’s different each day.
I spoke to my GP a while ago to ask if I could use my Steroids as I was pretty bad and she said that ‘due to the present situation’ she would prefer me not to use them , I didn’t but it has taken a long time to get back to normal.
I do find though that each year I have to try different Hay Fever tablets as the ones I have used the previous year don’t always work. Happily this year I’m able to use Sainsburys cheapie Loratadine tabs. My HF has also changed, this year, no earache, but I have very sore eyes, this is the first year that my eyes have been involved.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 12-May-20 09:45:33

I get a cough with my hay fever, hence me wearing a mask when I leave the house as one of my coughing fits would clear a supermarket.

grandMattie Tue 12-May-20 09:48:20

I understand that if you put Vaseline round nostrils and eyes, it catches a lot of the pollen. Sounds like it may work, but surely it’s worth a try? Good luck

Alishka Tue 12-May-20 09:51:56

I have all the meds/inhalers etc mentioned above but this year,confined to my home, apart from my inhalers, I've been fine so far.
I'm clearly allergic to the Great Outdoorsgrin