Gransnet forums

Chat

Park Homes

(4 Posts)
j00ls312 Tue 12-May-20 18:11:06

Hi do any gransnetters out there live on a residential park home site? We are looking to downsize and free up some cash. It seems as though there are quite a few restrictions on some parks. We thought we’d found our ideal place but it turned out that commercial vans aren’t allowed to be parked onsite!! My DH still works and drives a van. And strictly over 55s so adult son (learning disability) not allowed to live with us. Anyone have any advice please?

Sussexborn Tue 12-May-20 18:17:16

Most round here (West Midlands) are for the senior end of the market only. When we lived in Kent some of the sites had to be vacated for four weeks during the winter which might be difficult.

You’ll need to do a lot of research to find somewhere suitable. No doubt there will be forums to get information from.

quizqueen Tue 12-May-20 18:20:02

I wouldn't chose to live in one for many reasons- onsite annual maintenance fees/ground rent, when I've been mortgage free for years, cramped indoor space and no real private outdoor space, no garage, little privacy from neighbours, difficult for family to visit or stay, no pets maybe, nowhere for grandchildren to play and, I believe, when it comes to selling up you lose money because the site owner takes a cut. I'd rather downsize to the smallest detached bungalow I could find, if I had to.

Bossyrossy Tue 12-May-20 18:28:45

My friend works for Citizens Advice and she says that the second most problem raised is about park homes (the first is Universal Credit). Don’t touch them with a barge pole.