Gransnet forums

Chat

Are we truly eccentric compared to the rest of the world?

(17 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 13-May-20 11:55:27

I was talking to a friend in South Africa and suddenly realised that some of the things I was telling her about seemed really bizarre. We have to be careful when we enter our village because the free range chickens cross or even sit on the road, a few miles away there is the Westwood where cattle have right of way and often stop the traffic and there is a road in the next village that has a 'Ducks crossing' warning sign. These aren't little country lanes but busy main roads. Where else but in the UK grin?

kittylester Wed 13-May-20 12:07:11

But, in SA, they are allowed to grow cannabis for their own use. Currently though they can't buy cigarettes or alcohol.

Our next but one village has a Ducks Crossing sign though I have never seen any!

Elegran Wed 13-May-20 12:10:00

Every country has its own bizarrenesses (is that a word?) It is only when taking to someone from else where that they are revealed as not exactly mainstream!

ExD Wed 13-May-20 12:11:39

We have a toad-crossing in our village, just in use at certain times of the year. Why not?

BlueSky Wed 13-May-20 12:12:20

I don't think abroad they have our legendary sense of humour!

sodapop Wed 13-May-20 12:38:59

Definitely not in France BlueSky my 'witty' comments have often fallen by the wayside.

Witzend Wed 13-May-20 12:45:00

In S. Africa I’ve seen a ‘Penguins Crossing’ sign, near Boulders Beach IIRC. I’m pretty sure I took a photo of it - would post it if I had a clue where to find it!

I don’t think we’re more daft/eccentric than anyone else, but I suppose each nation’s little oddities seem normal to them, if a bit odd to everyone else.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 13-May-20 13:43:05

I think that we are fairly content compared to some. Bill Bryson wrote that he thought that we were the happiest nation in the world because we could be sitting in one of those shelters on a seaside promenade - it's pouring with rain, the temperature's dropped but if we have a cup of tea and a biscuit we're happy. I think that pretty much sums us up and what's wrong with that?

DiscoGran Wed 13-May-20 14:24:31

We have a lot of tame ducks waddling about in our village. There is even a place known as Ducks Corner.
Folk take food with them when they go on walks to keep them fed, and a little child advised me that the best thing to feed them these days is lettuce. ??

MrsEggy Wed 13-May-20 15:00:42

We saw a sign 'Penguins Crossing' in New Zealand.

Loislovesstewie Wed 13-May-20 15:08:01

I think the fact that we reach for the tea pot in times of crisis says it all.
I remember a story about a lady who had suffered bomb damage to her home during the Second World War. She had lost most of her night attire during the blast, the gentleman rescuing her said ' Come on old girl, make yourself decent'. So she put on a hat and left the ruins of her home. The moral to the story is that decency equals a hat.

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 15:11:09

We have to be careful in Australia because Cassowaries cross the road.
However, they will be getting their own bridge soon, whether or not they will read the signs and use it is something to be discovered.

EllanVannin Wed 13-May-20 15:35:16

Cassowaries are unique birds--and part of that side of the world of the Pacific region.
I'd certainly let it go over the bridge first hahahahaha. They're to be respected alright.

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 15:40:09

It's not called The Cassowary Coast for nothing.
They could kill you if you tried to push in front and cross the bridge first!

Alishka Thu 14-May-20 14:24:19

Mine's food related(natch!) In France and Italy, both places I've lived in for years before settling in England, they eat all the savoury things first,before going on to the sweet things.
Here, tho, it's savoury,sweet,then savoury again with the cheese course. Confuses both my taste buds and my mind.
Just...WHY?

Callistemon Thu 14-May-20 14:27:18

Because eating cheese after sweet food stops your teeth rotting

grin not eccentric, just sensible grin

Alishka Thu 14-May-20 15:32:52

We have toothbrushes for that, clever things,toothbrushesgrin