Gransnet forums

Chat

Best made plans!

(33 Posts)
kittylester Sat 16-May-20 08:36:31

Our village support group have asked for donations of baby stuff (nappies, wipes etc) which I ordered with my Sainsbury delivery.

After it was delivered, I emailed the organiser and left the stuff (as always) in a carrier on the gate post.

About an hour later I answered the door bell to find a very nice man holding my carrier of baby stuff saying 'I think you've left this by the gate!'

I thanked him, waited till he'd gone and then took it back down to the gate.

About an hour later, the same thing happened with a different man.

And, it happened again later on.

Then I got an email from the organiser saying that she had tried to collect it but the baby stuff was missing and she hoped it hadn't been stolen.

I'll try again today but with a BIG note on the bag!

GreenGran78 Sun 17-May-20 23:28:34

I offered something I no longer needed on a ‘giveaway’ site. I was asked if I could deliver it, as the lady had no transport. As it wasn’t too far away, I agreed, and was given the address of a flat, with instructions to go up the side, to find her front door. Unfortunately, my SatNav took me into a smart housing estate, which was obviously wrong. I found a Co-op shop on the main road, and phoned to say that I couldn’t find her flat.

When I said that I was outside the Co-op she said that she would come for it. A few minutes later I was surprised to see a young woman, in pink pyjamas and fluffy slippers striding nonchalantly towards me. It was 2pm. She took the bag from me, and headed back home. I never even got a Thank You, but at least she lightened my day!

JuliaM Sun 17-May-20 19:39:06

I live next door to a house undergoing renovation, a full strip back to bare walls job, earlier this week they had all new fitted kitchen Electrical appliances delivered ready for fitting, from a major uk supplier. They just ofloaded them and left them on the front drive at around 8am, and likewise the driver then stood back and took a picture of them. No body turned up to the place until late afternoon, and they were very lucky to find the goods still there by then.
Its a fairly busy road, and it would have been so easy for someone with a van to have helped themselves to a New Cooker, Dishwasher, Washing machine, and Fridge freezer.
The owners are quite elusive, rarely visit, various tradespeople come and go, but we havent seen anything of them to introduce ourselves and offer to help a little. With my poor mobility, im not able to go and knock on their door if they are there either!

Ninjanana2 Sun 17-May-20 18:39:16

Welsh wife....this happens in Holland too. My friend once picked up a chaiselonge

magsmay55 Sun 17-May-20 18:07:56

A few years ago my daughter was getting married. I ordered quite an expensive dress from Jaeger. It didn't arrive .I rang the company they said it had been delivered. The delivery guy said it had been delivered. It was delivered to a house with a caravan in the garden. We didn't have a caravan.shock

kittylester Sun 17-May-20 17:58:00

It's the way things currently happen in this village lizzypopbottle. We all leave stuff out for collection by various people.

I think they were all just passing through! grin

Rosalyn69 Sun 17-May-20 17:45:27

We really have great delivery men in our area. Because of where we live they are easy to spot when they drive up but a lot of the regular ones know to leave the parcels by the porch.
I think most of them are doing a good job in difficult times and I always shout a thank you.

annodomini Sun 17-May-20 17:10:15

I have a notice in my front window asking couriers and posties to leave deliveries on the back doorstep. The only couriers who doesn't comply with this request are almost invariably the Amazon drivers. I've always suspected that Amazon employs drivers who can't speak or read English well , so it's not really their fault and they are probably on minimum wage. I believe that they are also penalised if they don't meet their scheduled times.

Bijou Sun 17-May-20 16:52:59

I find Hermes very good considering their drivers are poorly paid. Usually get an email about delivery time. Living in a village I know the Hermes girl and the postwoman.

Plunkie Sun 17-May-20 16:39:51

I received the NHS letter so have been receiving the Government Food parcel each Tuesday. As I get priority Tesco delivery slots I do not need the parcels so I therefore contacted the local Salvation Army & have taken the Food parcels to their HQ. I was going to cancel the Food parcels but decided not to as I will continue to donate them to the Food Bank as I am sure that there are people out there who are more in need than my husband & I.

Skweek1 Sun 17-May-20 15:49:30

Most of our deliveries are fine, but we had one left inside a security grille for back door and it was there for about a week. No card left. Neighbours eventually told us it was there, but they had seen it days before and not told us.

lizzypopbottle Sun 17-May-20 13:51:35

sunseeker We've had loads of deliveries, including from Hermes. All drivers have put the parcel down, rung the bell and retreated to a safe distance. They usually photograph the parcel on my doormat as proof of delivery. Your Hermes person needs more training and you might consider contacting Hermes about it. If you have a window in or near your front door, just meemo to the person outside, who wants to hand it over, to put the parcel down. A thumbs up and a smile is enough thanks.

BonnieBlooming Sun 17-May-20 13:43:59

At my daughters last house her front door opened onto the street, but things were often left in her nonexistant porch. Once it was a box of beer left it full view but with the doormat set on top of it!

lizzypopbottle Sun 17-May-20 13:43:01

kittylester Would your collection person consider phoning or texting when she's about to arrive? Or let you know she's waiting outside in her car? Then you could take the things to the gate and she could collect them once you've gone inside the house.

Apologies if someone else has already suggested this!

inishowen Sun 17-May-20 12:35:30

We had a barbeque delivered last week. The courier left it on the path and walked away. I opened the door and asked if it was heavy. He said it wasnt and went back to his van. I can tell you it was damned heavy for me to lift and carry up the steps into our house!

kittylester Sun 17-May-20 12:10:43

I put the shopping out again yesterday and they were collected with no more hiccups.

Wonder what will happen next week!

Twopence Sun 17-May-20 12:08:05

Slightly different topic but many years ago our council used to do a collection of larger unwanted items a few times a year. Our neighbour came home for lunch on one of these days and left his bike outside his house. He ended up having to run after the council lorry to retrieve his missing bike.

sunseeker Sun 17-May-20 11:10:42

I was expecting a parcel being delivered by Hermes so to protect myself and the courier I left a box outside my door with a large sign saying "Parcels". The courier rang my bell and handed the parcel to me!

By contrast my postman had a parcel for me, he rang the bell, put the parcel on the ground, stood back and when I answered gave me a talk on how long the virus can stay on certain surfaces and to take care!

Nellie54 Sun 17-May-20 11:03:32

Had two texts in two weeks saying parcels delivered, one plus photo. Not ours, we had no orders and 200 miles away! DPD could not explain why either.

Aepgirl Sun 17-May-20 10:58:28

How nice to hear of caring, honest people. I think the BIG LABEL is the answer!

Graygirl Sun 17-May-20 10:34:41

Have a sign on front door ,telling people we are a shielded house so only deliveries for this house please on A4 paper. Same driver in 10days ,rang when I answered parcel for 2 doors away, asked had he read sign answer yes but did not think it applied to him I am afraid when it happened second time I reported him and Sent clip from security camera with sound as second time very rude and threatening

polnan Sun 17-May-20 10:28:54

lol I had a parcel left inside my wheelie bin.. usually my deliveries are good though

4allweknow Sun 17-May-20 10:28:35

Not so much now but for a few years all the toys, equipment, garden play equipment my GC had outgrown was placed in front garden with note it was free to take away. I live in an area with a lot of young families. Everyone who wanted something would come to the door and check if it was okay to take what they were interested in or reserve until their partner came to collect. No one ever just helped themself. Often wonder if my stuff was passed on to even more children.

hicaz46 Sun 17-May-20 10:27:10

Our street, which has over 300 houses, has a mutual aid group and someone is always posting that they are leaving something outside their house which is free to anyone who wants to take it. There has been plants, jigsaws, books, children's toys, even pleas for food items which someone always manages to offer. For example eggs, herbs for a rabbit and icing sugar. It's a wonderful way of swapping or giving away items to the benefit of others. Hope it continues long after lockdown.

Froglady Sun 17-May-20 10:22:40

My sister has had parcels thrown over her back gate in the past!
I've had parcels propped up on my front door, left in a hanging basket by my front door - and my front door is very visible from the road. I've also had one left in one of my wheelie bins! Don't these delivery people have any common sense?

Welshwife Sun 17-May-20 10:21:57

In the area DS lives in US it is normal practice when you have something you wish to relieve yourself of but still in useable condition to put it by the rubbish the night before collection. Some people do drive-bys with a Van/lorry and by the time the bin men come only the rubbish is left. Works well for all concerned.