Gransnet forums

Chat

What's wrong with people?

(7 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Mon 18-May-20 18:16:27

Jane10 Of course it's the current situation that's driving this problem, with children off school and people working from home. The container is normally, perfectly adequate .But that's no excuse for residents 'fouling their own doorstep' when they could just take their rubbish home! Also, council tips have re-opened so there's no excuse for it.

lizzypopbottle Mon 18-May-20 18:10:34

Yes vampire queen I agree. We have a small caravan site here and the dog waste bin at the gate is absolutely disgusting during the holiday season, the bin overflowing and a mountain of bags beneath it. It will be resident dogwalkers as well as caravanners who contribute to this. If the bin's full, my bag comes home with me. Maybe that's too simple. ?

Jane10 Mon 18-May-20 18:04:32

lizzypopbottle- looks like the council seriously underestimated the number of users of those bins. People have obviously tried to dispose of their stuff in a bin but it's too small for local needs or is not emptied often enough. Council getting it wrong?

ninathenana Mon 18-May-20 17:56:30

Fortunately we can put these in our home recycling bin. If the bin is full they will take a clear plastic bag of recycling at the same time.
I agree, take it back home lazy people.

vampirequeen Mon 18-May-20 17:54:28

Whilst we're on the subject of litter. During lockdown and it's semi-release we've had more people using our lanes and footpaths. Now I have nothing against people coming out for fresh air and exercise but I object to those people who think that the countryside is one big litter bin. With the increase in people we have seen a massive increase in discarded crisp packets, cans, bottles and other snack waste. Why/how can someone look at the beauty around them then leave rubbish in that spot?

vampirequeen Mon 18-May-20 17:51:39

They do it because they're lazy. You see it when street bins are full. Instead of taking their rubbish to the next bin which might only be 20 feet away they'd rather try to balance it on the top of the full bin then leave it when it falls onto the ground.

lizzypopbottle Mon 18-May-20 17:47:48

I went to our village recycling hub, a few weeks ago, to get rid of a few bottles and tetrapacks. The bottle banks had plenty of room but the tetrapack container was so full that the lid was at 45° and there were cartons all over the ground! I took my flattened cartons home. Why can't others do the same? I called the county council and at some point they came and emptied the container and cleared up the mess. Why should the refuse collectors have to do that?

Anyway, I went back today with the first load of cartons and the rest I'd accumulated in the meantime. This is what I found: