Gransnet forums

Chat

Hair rollers for someone frail and elderly?

(11 Posts)
Witzend Thu 21-May-20 12:15:20

Thanks v much, everybody. I managed to find some Velcro type ones in Boots, very light - had to go twice since she wasn’t sure what she wanted until she saw them - not at all used to doing her own hair. Couldn’t find the exact hair colour she wanted, either, but found a similar. She was so grateful though

How she’ll manage it all I don’t know - she’s quite doddery now. I’d really like to go and help her, obv. with mask and gloves (not that I was ever much cop with rollers) but dh is more twitchy than I am about the virus - that bit older and male but not fat! - esp. since they have daily carers in.
Heigh ho.

jaylucy Tue 19-May-20 11:02:54

Velcro rollers are easy to put in and take out (as long as you remember which way you wound them in the hair ) as well as lightweight.
Try Superdrug - they have a set of 15 on buy one get one half price and they will do home delivery for about £3 if you need it or you can do click and collect if you have a store near you - the pharmacy ones are still open.

henetha Tue 19-May-20 10:58:08

I've got some velcro rollers and they are so easy to use. No clips or pins needed, just wind round the hair. They are marvellous.

Grannynannywanny Tue 19-May-20 10:54:36

My Mum tried the rags but didn’t have the correct technique. The end result in the morning was poker straight hair and curly rags. So it was pipe cleaners then ?

kittylester Tue 19-May-20 10:49:25

I had my hair put in rags!

Grannynannywanny Tue 19-May-20 10:27:49

My description of the bendy rollers gave me a flashback to my childhood.

Did any of you have your hair curled with pipe cleaners as a child? My Mum did it regularly to my long hair. Especially if we were going somewhere nice.

I suppose the foam bendy rollers are a glorified version of pipe cleaners.

anna7 Tue 19-May-20 09:48:55

I bought my mum some velcro rollers from Boots a few days ago. She finds them easy to use and she is 89. They come in various sizes and the Boots I visited seemed to have plenty in stock.

Grannynannywanny Tue 19-May-20 09:44:13

How about bendy rollers? I think that’s their actual name. They are foam rods with an internal core of wire.

Very lightweight and simple to use. Starting at end of hair you roll it up then fold over. No pins required.

They are in stock on Amazon if Boots sold out.

You’ll probably find a demo on YouTube if you want to check them out first

kittylester Tue 19-May-20 09:36:58

They are called 'vented rollers' on Sainsbury's.

I've also ordered the same thing from Anazon but the delivery date was ages.

I could now start a hairdressing salon!

kittylester Tue 19-May-20 09:34:34

I bought some Sainsbury's ones that dont need pins - I have fine hair and they cling to it by themselves. They come in different sizes. She could have mine as I haven't used them!

Witzend Tue 19-May-20 09:22:16

My elderly neighbour is very upset at not being able to have her hair done. She’s asked me about rollers - she has the old Carmen heated ones, but they’re too heavy for her now.

I’ve just looked at Boots online, the easy looking foam type are out of stock - the few things I’ve wanted from Boots lately are all out of stock! - and a lot on amazon have poor reviews, or I think would be too fiddly for her.

If anyone can recommend any easy to use ones I could order online for her, I’d be very grateful - probably a tall order, I know.