Gransnet forums

Chat

Barefoot

(77 Posts)
MissAdventure Fri 22-May-20 18:04:10

Do you go barefoot about the house, or even in the garden?

I always, always wear slippers indoors, and big old comfy flat shoes for work, but I think my feet could do with a bit of an airing.

Do you recommend barefoot? (and what about the possibility of treading on a spider whilst bare!?)

JenniferEccles Sat 23-May-20 09:39:36

I can’t believe how many of you have bare feet outdoors!

You could tread on anything which could cause a slight scratch or cut on the soles which could well become infected.

Very occasionally if the weather is extremely hot I have bare feet indoors but I would put sandals on in the garden.

I’m amazed at those at the coast who come off the beach and have no sandals on to walk along the prom where there certainly are sharp stones and could be tiny flecks of broken glass.

Madness.

J52 Sat 23-May-20 10:19:46

I’m always barefooted in the house. For years, when I worked, I had skin problems on my feet and nothing really improved it until l stopped wearing tights for most of the day.
The skin on my feet now is ( dare I say ) perfect due to all the fresh air that they get.

MissAdventure Sat 23-May-20 10:25:58

I'm sure that's my problem (well, one of many!)

My feet are enclosed all day, in shoes with memory foam, usually, then straight into closed in slippers when I get home.

trisher Sat 23-May-20 11:28:53

Jennifer Eccles you sound so much like my mum. She was saying that 60 years ago. I'm still going barefoot and have only ever had minor injuries (touch wood).

JenniferEccles Sat 23-May-20 12:22:48

Is that good trisher or did you roll your eyes when you read my comment?!!?

farview Sat 23-May-20 12:25:58

I've only ever hurt my feet once whilst barefoot..a splinter off some decking...my soles are thick but look good and the skin is really quite nice ?

tinaf1 Sat 23-May-20 12:29:44

I too suffer with planter facilities and have had the same advise as Grannynannywanny, it’s a really painful condition that takes a long time to clear up.
I notice now if I have forgotten and walked around with no shoes especially the uncarpeted areas of the house I can feel my feet starting to hurt

MissAdventure Sat 23-May-20 12:44:37

Aha!
Someone with living leather feet, farview.

Any tips? smile

Riverwalk Sat 23-May-20 17:03:42

Barefoot or flipflops indoors and out - I've never owned a pair of slippers.

My feet are lovely grin - straight toes and no hard bits! I have regular pedicures (pre-lockdown) and every day in shower/bath have a quick rub with the pumice stone and apply moisturiser daily.

Yes MissA yer feet could do with a bit of an airing!

farview Sat 23-May-20 17:45:42

Moisturizer MissA..I do mine most days...?

MissAdventure Sat 23-May-20 17:50:17

Right then, a scrub, some moisturiser, and some air it is then. smile

Alishka Sat 23-May-20 18:27:51

annepl, just to let you know that my toenails are now a maybelline colour called Orange Attacksmile

Are we the only two who paint our toenails? Surely not..

MissAdventure Sat 23-May-20 18:30:03

I used to do mine.
They are such a mess though, I haven't been bothering.

I can see the lack of logic now I'm writing it down. blush

Cherrytree59 Sat 23-May-20 18:45:25

GrannyLaine yes me too. sad

Tabbycat Sat 23-May-20 19:02:11

My mother was told to let me run around in bare feet when I was a baby - I think it was supposed to be better for your feet. As a teenager/ young adult I wore high-heels all day and Scholl sandals at home. In the summer I wore open-toed sandals and, yes, liked to paint my toenails.
As a primary school teacher I spent most of my day on my feet and they were often trodden on by my pupils. My big toe nails were both damaged by children rocking on their chairs and then bringing the chair leg down on my foot - OUCH!
In my 50s I developed what they thought was plantar fasciitis, but turned out I needed a calcaneal osteotomy - foot operation where they cut the bones to re-align them and insert metal rods (under general anaesthetic). The whole procedure and recovery took two years, so now I look after my feet. I wear flat shoes with inbuilt orthotic soles, have regular pedicures and have my toe nails painted - usually pillarbox red!

Curlywhirly Sat 23-May-20 19:04:34

Alishka I also paint my toenails!

Riverwalk Sat 23-May-20 19:11:02

Did my own mini-pedicure yesterday and just checked the nail polish - it's Maybelline No 6 Bubblicious, sort of pinky red.

farview Sat 23-May-20 22:06:05

...always paint my toe nails...hairs a bloody mess,scruffy gardening clothes...split skin on hands from this constant washing...but toenails...painted.....always ?

JenniferEccles Sat 23-May-20 22:33:29

I think we could do with some pictures of all those immaculately painted toenails! ?

annep1 Sat 23-May-20 23:22:32

Alishka I haven't tried an orange colour. Sounds nice. I always have my toenails painted. More important to me than fingernails.

annep1 Sat 23-May-20 23:25:32

I'm not sure I would describe them as immaculate nowadays. ?

annodomini Sun 24-May-20 00:03:50

I prefer to be shod whether in slippers or sneakers. I think it goes back to the time when I had cats who would bring in the entrails of shrews and mice and leave them in the back porch for me to stand on when I went to feed them in the morning.
I don't have my toenails painted until it's time to wear sandals.I don't see the point in covering painted toenails with socks and boots.

Hetty58 Sun 24-May-20 01:21:08

I was barefoot as much as possible in my younger days. Only when it was very cold would I wear socks and slippers.

My mother said that when you get old, your foot 'padding' disappears and it's painful to walk on bony feet.

I thought she was joking - but now it's happened to me!

annep1 Sun 24-May-20 10:43:10

I don't see the point in covering painted toenails with socks and boots.

It just makes me feel better, like nice underwear.

Tweedle24 Sun 24-May-20 13:12:04

I too have orange nails. They don’t suffer too much in the garden as I rarely wear sandals when gardening in case I get tangled up with the strimmer or mower blades