Gransnet forums

Chat

Asking the children.......

(28 Posts)
Franbern Sat 23-May-20 10:11:45

One of my daughters asked her two daughters I (aged 10 yrs and 8yrs) a series of questions about the virus. Interesting to see how much, even at that young age, they understood exactly what a virus was.

Questions as to how it started, how it spread, what a virus looked like and how did you see it, how did they feel about returning to school, had they enjoyed home schooling (Mum is an ex science teacher and now an educational psychiologist), what they most miss at present. Who they want to hug when first permitted to do so, etc. etc.

However, one particular question was to ask them How they felt a similar pandemic in the future could be prevented.

The 8 year old (very much an environmentalist), replied about stopping pollution, climate change, etc.

The older, rather hopefully, replied ' Stop eating Salad'!!!

Made me laugh.

BBbevan Wed 05-Aug-20 15:30:06

I went to stay with my DS and family, to help out after DDiL had had GD2. GD1, then 3 years old loved to rummage in my suitcase. One day, as I was getting dress, she took a pair of my expensive, lacy knickers from the case. “ Wear these Grandma” she said “They match the curtains” !!!

GrandmaCornwall Tue 04-Aug-20 18:46:50

My youngest grandson stands to one side and holds his breath as people walk by. He seems quite unconcerned about changes when he goes back to school and he requested a mask like Daddy’s for when they go on walks. We shall see how he gets on at school as his favourite part of the day is playtime when he plays chase. Also he does not realise yet there may not be any swimming, he used to take his swimming kit everyday as he did not want to miss it?

Herbie9 Sun 24-May-20 19:46:30

Such innocent, funny remarks. Children just lift our spirits don't they. Thanks for all the laughs.

mancgirl Sun 24-May-20 19:41:33

Our 4 year old gs, when asked what animal did the virus look like replied, a giraffe. Maybe because it has big spots! He said he would be able to see nan and grandpops when they were better?. The 2 year old gs said to his mummy, quick, move mummy, people are coming. What are we doing to these children's minds?

Witzend Sun 24-May-20 19:20:10

Throw poo at it - that did crack me up!
(Throwing poo at Trump might be satisfying though - maybe I’m getting toddler-poo-mentality in my riper years.)

justwokeup Sun 24-May-20 19:09:17

Your DGD has hit the nail on the head TheMaggiejane1. The other day when standing at the end of our pre-school DGC's path and the familiar question began 'Can I come to your house Nana?' Before the end of the sentence though there was a very sad look. 'Oh no, never mind.' Throwing poo at the virus would have been lovely at that moment!

maddyone Sun 24-May-20 19:03:53

Your grandson’s socks, not the doctor’s grin

maddyone Sun 24-May-20 19:03:12

Hilly I really hope the doctor could hear him clapping, bless his little cotton socks.

maddyone Sun 24-May-20 19:00:28

Oh Bibbity bless your little boy.

maddyone Sun 24-May-20 18:55:44

Stop eating salad, I love it. Thank you for making me smile Franbern.

Theoddbird Sun 24-May-20 17:53:36

A couple of these have made me laugh out loud. One of my grandsons...just turned 5 understands about social distancing and will explain it is so you don't catch corona virus. He also made up a brilliant rap about keeping the streets clean and picking up rubbish Talking of things children say....when my son was between 2 and 3 he, out of the blue, said...of course, when you die you come back as another baby.

TheMaggiejane1 Sun 24-May-20 17:06:26

My daughter asked her children similar questions. The 3 year old is going through the ‘fascinated with all things lavatorial ‘ stage. Her answer to how should we get rid of the virus was ‘Throw poo at it’ I wonder why Donald Trump hasn’t thought of that one!

HillyN Sun 24-May-20 16:08:36

My DD did a fun 'experiment' with my 3 year old GS to explain why we need to wash our hands. She sprinkled ground pepper on the surface of water and explained that germs were like the pepper grains only too small to see. When he dipped a finger in the water, the 'germs' clung to his finger. However if he got his hands all soapy and then dipped a finger in the water the 'germs' all jumped away from his finger and it stayed clean. Try it, it works!
What really melted my heart though was when they explained to him about the Thursday applause for the NHS, afterwards my GS said "Daddy, do you think the doctor could hear me clapping?"

janipans Sun 24-May-20 15:41:36

There is a Covid questionnaire going about for young kids. One of the questions was "If you had to wear protective clothing, what would it be?" My grandson said "a coat", my friends granddaughter said "my purple dress"! They both knew that the illness was caused by "the germs" though!

Bibbity Sun 24-May-20 14:57:10

My mum is working on a Covid ward. We have explained to DS (6) that she is taking care of those very sick and so we won’t be able to see her for a long time.

One day out of nowhere he said “So when Grandma takes the bats out of people..”

We looked at him very very very confused.

He knew from the TV that the virus originated from someone eating a bat.
He then came to the conclusion that everyone in the hospital had eaten a Bat, gotten sick and needed the bat removed to get better.

Please send help.

Mollygo Sun 24-May-20 12:39:38

One of my DGC was most concerned about people getting the virus because they couldn’t sing. Took me a while to work that out.
She also said that her school had to be closed because nobody flushes the toilet there!

EllanVannin Sun 24-May-20 11:38:29

Quizzer, that reminds me of my 10 year old GGS who'd said he " probly " doesn't need carrots because he might have to wear glasses, after an eye test. Excuses excuses grin
This was after I'd told the children to eat up all their veg to stay healthy and strong.

Aepgirl Sun 24-May-20 11:28:42

Children are far more resilient than older people, but I don’t think they actually understand, more just accept, the present situation. Thankfully they aren’t worried about the future like we are, and will just accept the gradual return to ‘normality’.

4allweknow Sun 24-May-20 11:23:33

So not eating wild animals but salad! Your GDs are treasures.

Quizzer Sun 24-May-20 10:37:11

Reminds me of the time my youngest, then about 11 yrs old, said he couldn't eat Brussels sprouts because he was dyslexic!

Lindaloulabel Sun 24-May-20 10:27:29

Don’t you just love how children see the world.
Think that’s what I miss the most my grandchildrens funny sayings.

Niobe Sun 24-May-20 10:03:36

Franbern, your granddaughter reminds me of my younger son coming home from school one day and asking if I would write a note to his teacher to say ' that playing the recorder was against his religion, or something'. He was 6 years old at the time and his teacher and I had a good chortle together when I shared the story with her at Parents' Night.

Witzend Sun 24-May-20 09:33:10

I felt so sad for my little Gds - generally such a happy, smiley little boy (coming up to 4) who, on being told that he might be able to go back to pre-school soon, asked whether he’d be able to touch his friends. ?

vampirequeen Sat 23-May-20 16:07:38

grin

AGAA4 Sat 23-May-20 16:05:48

Children are so good at making us feel better with their unique view of the world.

Maybe not eating salad would help. Just as good as some adult's suggestions for beating the pandemic!