Gransnet forums

Chat

Long walk tomorrow

(22 Posts)
tanith Wed 27-May-20 23:16:52

My daughter and I are planning to do an 8 mile circular walk tomorrow, we’ve talked about doing this walk for a while but have decided tomorrow’s the day. It’s called The Dog Rose Ramble and starts within a 2 min walk of the house, I walk part of it across the local golf course on my daily walk but have never tackled the whole thing in one go before. It’s across a golf course, fields footpaths and trails along the Yeading Brook and the Grand Union Canal. We plan on taking lunch and plenty of water and comfy well worn trainers ? wish us luck.
I did spot somewhere just over halfway where we could take a short cut home cutting out nearly one third of the the walk but hope we don’t have to use it.

merlotgran Wed 27-May-20 23:22:35

Good Luck, tanith

Eight miles?

Respect!!

B9exchange Wed 27-May-20 23:36:43

Rather you than me, huge respect!

gillybob Wed 27-May-20 23:40:55

Good luck and good for you and your DD tanith . I wish you both good weather and comfy shoes . smile

crazyH Wed 27-May-20 23:46:30

Goodness me - I did a short walk round the 'block' with my daughter and we were both tired ?
You are lucky that you can even contemplate an 8 mile walk....good luck and all the best xx

Blinko Thu 28-May-20 06:55:10

How lovely for you and your daughter. Enjoy your walk! Then put your feet up.

Willow500 Thu 28-May-20 06:57:17

I'd love to go for a long walk but sadly a) my husband can't walk further than round the block due to a hernia op complication and sciatica and b) there's nowhere really to walk in close distance to us.

I do try to walk down to the shops but most of those actually open are closing at 12.30 at the moment sad

brook2704 Thu 28-May-20 07:07:15

Enjoy your walk with your daughter tanith it sounds lovely ! Take your time and enjoy the scenery ?

Gingster Thu 28-May-20 07:58:56

Enjoy your walk. Half that distance is plenty for me, and I call that a long walk. Perfect weather for it. Hope it’s not too warm.

tanith Thu 28-May-20 08:32:13

Thanks everyone I’m looking forward to it, it’s a bit cooler and a bit cloudy so perfect for walking.

vampirequeen Thu 28-May-20 08:34:44

Sounds perfect. Have a wonderful day.

sodapop Thu 28-May-20 08:41:25

Enjoy your walk Tanith 8miles is a good distance, much more than I could ever do. Good luck.

Washerwoman Thu 28-May-20 08:46:06

I met my daughter for a socially distanced walk yesterday -a similar length.It was lovely to see her and chat all day in person and we found a lovely spot to eat our packed lunch.Our dogs swam in the river and we spent ages watching a heron fishing.Bliss.Enjoy it !

Greyduster Thu 28-May-20 08:55:31

Tanith, it sounds similar to a walk we do here but there is no way I could stretch it out to eight miles these days! Five is my upper limit now. I hope you get all the way round; you’ll get a wonderful sense of achievement, and of course, a longer time out with your daughter! Have a happy day!

mamaa Thu 28-May-20 09:45:41

Good luck both. I did a longer than usual walk yesterday and didn’t wear my normal walking shoes but sandals instead. Consequently now have a blister under each foot, right on the ball of the foot. Shan’t be going far today... ouchshock

Jane43 Thu 28-May-20 10:49:22

Well it’s a beautiful day for a walk, I hope it goes well. The furthest I have walked in recent years was a charity walk of 10k which I believe is just over 6 miles so I take my hat off to you. I suffer from blisters too mama so like you have to be careful which shoes I wear.

25Avalon Thu 28-May-20 10:52:59

That’s quite a long walk. Hope you have allowed plenty of time and look out for flying golf balls. I belong to a walking group and we used to do 4-5 miles in 2 hours. Would love to be going again so enjoy your walk.

tanith Thu 28-May-20 14:14:47

Well we did the whole walk thoroughly enjoyable apart from the last half hour when we’d both had enough I think because we were nearly home ?. We met horses on the bridlepath, people on bikes, dog walkers, runners, a gentleman who was waiting for his wife who’d jumped on his bike to go home for a pee, that was really funny and then we met his wife on her way back to him, we did laugh. People on their boats along the canal, and saw diners in a canal side marina enjoying a meal.
We did 7.6 miles in nearly 3 hrs so not bad going over 20000 steps, I’m soaking my feet in soapy water with a nice cuppa but I’m feeling very pleased with myself and my hips, both replacements did very well too. Sorry it all sounds a bit like boasting but I know you’ll get how pleased I am.

25Avalon Thu 28-May-20 14:29:25

Well done Tanith

Cabbie21 Thu 28-May-20 14:32:53

I did what is for me a long walk this morning, about 1.5 miles. I drove for 5 mins to a Country Park, former colliery site. Really though it was just one foot in front of the other. Most of it is quite boring, as yet. It needs time to grow and develop. More interesting to walk round the houses, admiring people’s gardens. I don’t enjoy walking on my own, but I need to for the exercise, especially as my spine feels so compressed from so much sitting, and I get pain through my sciatic nerve. Walking is not painful, thankfully.

Alima Thu 28-May-20 14:35:20

Sounds a lovely way to spend time with your daughter. Beautiful day for it too. (Ain’t hip replacements wonderful things?!)

Greyduster Thu 28-May-20 19:02:57

Well done, Tanith, and respect! When you have a companion to chat to, you don’t seem to notice the miles! We managed just under three today, but it was very hot, and exposed up on the moors - no relief from it at all. We can usually rely on a bit of a zephyr, but not today. Glorious though.