Gransnet forums

Chat

Workman in home

(17 Posts)
magsmay55 Thu 28-May-20 06:10:12

Hi has anyone had to have a workman in for emergency repair. How does that work with Corona virus.

Daisymae Thu 28-May-20 06:21:52

The best thing to do would be to contact the company and ask how they comply with the social distancing guidelines.

magsmay55 Thu 28-May-20 06:27:54

Thanks Daisymae

NotSpaghetti Thu 28-May-20 08:19:47

No.but I'm interested as I need a plumber!

BlueSky Thu 28-May-20 08:32:03

I think you would simply stay in another room then clean all surfaces and floor where he's been working.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 28-May-20 08:35:41

Magsmay I didn’t see this thread, I’ve just replied to you on another post.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 28-May-20 08:36:23

It was on the No Longer Shielded post.

gillybob Thu 28-May-20 08:55:44

Yes magsmay55 we had to call out an emergency gas fitter a few weeks back after my gas hob developed a serious leak. I was able to turn the gas off at the mains but that left us without heating and hot water (not good living in the North East) . Anyway it all went very well. He asked me that when he arrived I open the door and stand back and just show him the way through . I left him to it and waited in another room . He had his own hand sanitiser but I left some out for him to use too. I put his money in an envelope and after he left I washed my benches and hob down thoroughly . Ditto the door handles that he may have touched . All worked very well .

goldengirl Thu 28-May-20 10:03:39

That's reassuring. We need a plumber for our loo which is leaking CLEAN water [thankfully!] but it isn't doing our floor any good.

Wibby Thu 28-May-20 10:28:14

I live in council property, the council workman are only coming out for emergencies only, an appointment will be made and we have been asked to stay in another room whilst the workman completes the work so there is no contact.

TwiceAsNice Thu 28-May-20 10:39:10

My daughter had some gardening work done, needed patio relaid. Gardner came through the garage , they stayed in the house and didn’t use the garage for several days after he left. Communication and payment done by phone and online. Worked fine

paddyanne Thu 28-May-20 11:02:23

We had a problem with a freezer,and its full so called the repair man.I told him to come in the back door straight into the utility room where the freezer lives,,he had a mask an dgloves and his own spray of antibac that he wiped all the surfaces with before he left.He has to come back because the part isn't available ,the freezer works but the fan sounds like a washing machine in spin mode so I'm looking forward to getting it fixed...very soon.I did wipe the surfaces again after he left

TerriBull Thu 28-May-20 12:11:29

We've had roofers in, or should I say outside to repair roof, apropos of a leak, so had to have scaffolders first and then the roofers for battens and felt to be replaced and tiles put back in place, or something like that confused Obviously they were outside but have to say they all appeared very cavalier as to how close they got when they were discussing the work in question with my other half, kept hissing at husband under my breath "distance for heaven's sake" given he tells me I'm potentially risking my health by going to Marks whenever I do for a few things, now we appear to be getting a regular weekly delivery slot from Tesco hmm I keep my distance better than him!

TerriBull Thu 28-May-20 12:13:41

Oh I forgot, our cleaner has come back now. We keep out of her way by going out and she opens the windows, plus she wears gloves anyway.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 28-May-20 12:21:37

Keep in another room, Don’t have any contact, hopefully he or them will be wearing masks, when the job is down, clean the area or areas throughly wash hands, pay online job done

grannysue05 Thu 28-May-20 12:46:34

I know we need to clean surfaces when workmen leave but are you all using a bleach solution/neat bleach or just hot soapy water?

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 28-May-20 16:12:52

Anti bac. Spray