Gransnet forums

Chat

Well that’s a turn up for the book

(39 Posts)
BlueBelle Thu 28-May-20 14:49:35

For the last thirty odd years I ve had a short choppy, a bit spiky hair cut (similar to what used to be called a pixie cut ) having it cut every 5 weeks I was dreading this ‘no hairdressers period’ I m now 11 weeks from my last hair cut and I keep getting complimented on how lovely my hair looks
Well that’s thrown me completely
Do I carry on or clamber for a cut when we re allowed

BlueBelle Sat 30-May-20 07:20:50

welbeck I love this, that I ve been seen so different in people eyes ? isn’t it fascinating how we make mental pictures of people either from their writings or from voices I remember ‘falling in love’ with a man I had to phone regularly through my job when I was younger he had this beautiful rich Deep voice and a kindly way of speaking when I met him he was a -nice- man but very very overweight with a rather rather large bulbous red nose
lovelove my hairdresser has said the same to me I realise the two pictures I posted look different colours but the first was taken in bright sunshine outside shining on me the second inside
I never used to like my hair but I m looking at it through different eyes now ?

Loislovesstewie Sat 30-May-20 05:59:48

The last time I went to the hairdressers , the hairdresser said what a lovely colour it was, I said ' but it's grey!' To which she replied ' yes, but I have women come in and pay a fortune for hair that is that shade ' . So I am happily and stylishly grey! I think that it's because my hair looks as though it has been highlighted.

welbeck Sat 30-May-20 00:30:17

Bluebelle, well that is quite a revelation.
i'd been picturing you as a black african person all this time.
maybe you posted next to someone who said they were, and i got the names mixed up. oh well.

Callistemon Fri 29-May-20 20:00:19

Perhaps a bit like me, Bluebelle ie untrendy!
grin
You look stylish and trendy.
I need a makeover.

BlueBelle Fri 29-May-20 19:13:14

callistermon please tell me how you imagined me it’s so interesting and I m very curious now

BlueBelle Fri 29-May-20 19:09:00

Well you ve all made my day and you know what I m definitely not a little white haired old lady jackieB so you can tell your husband to put that in his pipe and smoke it ????

Bridie22 Fri 29-May-20 18:40:15

Loving the colour ?

ExD Fri 29-May-20 15:42:28

I'm going to go white - I've made up my mind now I've seen the condition of the new growth. When we can go back I shall ask her to cut off as much brown dyed hair as possible and take it from there.
JackyB, what colour is your DH's hair? Why does he think he can dictate what colour your's is?

Callistemon Fri 29-May-20 15:07:18

I just noticed some silver on the edges of mine, Maggiemaybe! Perhaps I'll be able to dye it purple one day after all.

Maggiemaybe Fri 29-May-20 13:15:14

I wouldn’t dream of colouring my hair if it was that lovely silver, BlueBelle. Women pay good money for the same effect.

www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/gallery/grey-hair-summer-trend

I don’t colour mine now - it’s still brown, but a boring shade. I’m hoping for a bit of silver myself!

JackyB Fri 29-May-20 11:35:46

Mine would look a little like that, too, Bluebelle, if I stopped having it coloured.

Here in Germany we were allowed to go to the hairdresser's on 4 May and my hairdresser rang me well in advance and I was allotted an appointment right away on that day, as I had been booked in for about 2 days after lockdown started.

It had grown enormously and the roots had grown out long enough to see my actual colour. (I have dark streaks put in, in my original dark brown, and it really looks very naturally salt-and-pepper, although really I am now all salt)

I asked her to cut it first and see what I looked like with an all white head. We both agreed that it would look lovely, as long as I used a little make-up. But I asked her to colour it again, as I knew DH wouldn't approve - he doesn't want to be married to a little white-haired old lady!

As stipulated, I wore a cloth mask, but it was extremely unpleasant when the snippets of hair fell down inside the mask, and it wasn't much fun when they washed it either! For cutting at the back, she had been using curlers to fix the loops of the mask, but that somehow didn't work for me, so I had to hold the elastic loops while she snipped around it.

Most unsatisfactory, but the final result was fine.

One difference - I made the next appointment for 8 weeks' time instead of the usual 6. I thought perhaps I could persuade DH to accept the white-haired me in that time, so I shall let it grow out again. (Despite disparaging remarks from DS over skype that I looked "really old" with frizzy grey "big" hair.)

Callistemon Fri 29-May-20 10:33:07

I like both styles, Bluebelle

Not a bit as I imagined you though!

Callistemon Fri 29-May-20 10:31:37

I let mine dry naturally last night and I had a lovely head of curls until I brushed it this morning and now have dandelion head.

Cabbie21 Fri 29-May-20 09:19:20

I can’t decide whether to embrace the grey, which makes me look so much older and my hair much thinner, or to get my hairdresser to help make the transition somehow. I don’t think I will go back to having the same colour all over though.
I am longing to get it cut though. It is so annoying, buts sticking out round my ears and clinging to my neck in the heat.

TwiceAsNice Fri 29-May-20 08:56:22

Mine is usually a short crop. My daughter has cut it twice now and done a really good job. I’ll still go to the hairdresser when I’m allowed because I’m desperate to have it re coloured. It’s completely grey now and I hate it. I look like a demented badger!

seacliff Fri 29-May-20 08:50:32

Gorgeous silver colour, lucky you.

BlueBelle Fri 29-May-20 08:33:00

Well thank you it’s colour it what it is I ve never coloured my hair I will get it trimmed again when we can as it so much easier than phaffing around But at least it doesn’t feel as bad as I expected it would I used to practically run to the hairdressers I won’t be so bother if I miss a month now

Iam64 Fri 29-May-20 08:23:56

BlueBelle, I've had my hair very short, like yours for years. I started to grow it a bit, pre lockdown. Currently, it's longer than its been since I was in my 30's. I've decided to let it grow but, I'm keen to get it trimmed and the roots tidied

Bellasnana Fri 29-May-20 08:09:57

BlueBelle, I love how it looks now and the colour is great too.

BlueBelle Fri 29-May-20 07:59:18

??thanks for all the replies I think you’re all visualising me with shoulder length hair, not so, I ve gone from about 1 ins to 2 inches ??probably get to a Bob or need of a hair band in a year or two
No I ll go back to my pixie cut so nice and easy I was just pleasantly surprised that I obviously don’t resemble Catweazle or a scarecrow as I was believing I did picture of my original and now

Callistemon Thu 28-May-20 19:03:34

Bluebelle you could have it trimmed into a new, longer style afterwards and see how you feel about it then.

Should I trust DH to cut the back at the bottom? It's very wispy there.

Grammaretto Thu 28-May-20 19:02:23

I practiced on a hedge today and disturbed a bird's nest!
I had better leave my own alone, who knows what I may find..

CanadianGran Thu 28-May-20 19:00:07

Just had mine cut! We are on 'phase 2' slowly re-opening, and I was one of the first clients at my friend/hairdresser. We did some awkward maneuvering with the mask when she was cutting around my ears, but ended up very tidy!

I have decided to let the grey grow out though. After colouring my hair since my early 20's it will be interesting to see what my natural colour will be. I have about an inch of roots, but the light brown dye has faded so the transition isn't too harsh.

My DH hasn't had his cut yet, although we go to the same friend; he wasn't feeling ready. He is diagnosed with COPD so feeling more hesitant. He will wait a few more weeks. I rather like his longer locks.

MiniMoon Thu 28-May-20 18:27:54

I used two hairgrips to pin my fringe back yesterday. It was getting into my eyes.
My husband laughed!
I don't know how long it will take to get an appointment when the hairdresser opens.

NanTheWiser Thu 28-May-20 18:21:35

Just gave mine its fourth (or fifth?) chop today - it's short and a bit choppy normally, and I've tried to keep it manageable with frequent light trims with thinning scissors. It looks quite presentable! But I can't wait to get it cut properly, whenever my hairdresser is able to open. Suspect it might be a long wait!