Gransnet forums

Chat

The Queen Out Riding.

(200 Posts)
Calendargirl Mon 01-Jun-20 07:15:31

Just that really.

First pictures of the Queen outside since she went in to lockdown at Windsor Castle.

Out riding on a pony this weekend, enjoying the sunny weather.

Not bad at 94.

Ilovecheese Wed 03-Jun-20 16:37:08

Why talk about the guillotine. A suggestion that our royals could be more like some other royals is is hardly equal to wanting to chop their heads off.

It doesn't just have to be either our sort of royalty versus a president.

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 16:31:30

Um, did you not know you could tour Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace? Even without resorting to the guillotine?
As for the other homes, they're not the only people with more than one privately owned home.
I believe even some ordinary Gransnetters have more than one, although my second home is a borrowed tent.

Ilovecheese Wed 03-Jun-20 16:25:26

It doesn't have to be a royal family versus a presidential system. We could still have royal family but it could be more like some other European countries that still have Kings, Queens etc. but they have ordinary jobs or professions.

Tourists would still come, in fact might be even keener to come if they could have a tour of Buckingham Palace, Windor castle etc. like Versailles.

The royal family would not be made homeless, just have a few less homes.

trisher Wed 03-Jun-20 16:09:45

Really this concept that all ideas of equality and democracy are based on envy is pathetic. It's not envy it's a philosophical belief that inherited political status is wrong and power should be democratically accountable. By all means disagree but please stop using "envy".
As for the RN doctor it says in the article he researches hospitals and then acompanies the Queen on trips abroad.So for extended periods of time he is not treating ordinary people Charles has one as well. Both have huge assets and could afford to pay for a private doctor if they wanted one. I don't suppose anyone considers this when calculating the cost of the RF

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 14:36:51

annep1 it is best not to waste precious hours trying to get any valid points or truths across to intransigent Republicans such as yourself.

Why, if those who are pragmatic enough to believe that a monarchy is the better and cheaper option are insulted, should they respond?

I have stated my case so it's best to ignore you, is it not?

I may see your point of view even if I disagree but then I do have an open mind and am fortunate that I do not suffer from envy.

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 14:30:23

The RN Surgeon who attends the Queen is not sitting in his consulting room waiting to see if she sneezes, trisher.
What a quaint idea.

He (or she) may have accompanied HM and the Royal entourage on overseas tours when she did tour overseas.
There was a Surgeon- Commander on the Royal Yacht too [gasp]

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 14:23:17

Grany I know what a Head of State does, Grany!

My point is still valid.

Anniebach Wed 03-Jun-20 12:37:47

The Queen doesn’t gain her income legitimately? Proof ?

annep1 Wed 03-Jun-20 11:55:24

When monarchists read things they don't like or can't justify they just ignore.

annep1 Wed 03-Jun-20 11:51:09

I don't object to anyone having private health care if they pay for it with their own income gained legitimately.

Pantglas2 Wed 03-Jun-20 11:46:42

Actually that’s not bad value for money if those figures are right Grany given the populations to pay for the respective figureheads approximately 68M v 5M.

Ours brings so much in tourism that a presidency could never come close, so value for money wise, I’m happy to pay up!

Anniebach Wed 03-Jun-20 11:44:55

The Queen is also head of the Commonwealth, the heads of
the Commonwealth recently voted for Charles to be ,in time,
Head.

I support keeping the Monarchy, the thought of yet another
election every 4 or 5 years with candidates voted for on
political beliefs ? No thank you.

No idea who the president of Ireland is, does he / she visit
the Commonwealth countries ?

trisher Wed 03-Jun-20 11:40:53

Callistemon Do you really think the Queen is "significant on the world stage?" isn't that supposed to be Boris's job?
I know that RN doctors are paid for through public funds and if one is being used to look after HM they aren't looking after service personnel

Grany Wed 03-Jun-20 11:39:18

Callistemon
International Role
The President represents all the people of Ireland, both at home and abroad.

The President plays an active role in promoting Ireland's image and role in the international arena. He or she makes State Visits abroad and receives other Heads of State on visits to Ireland at the official residence, Áras an Uachtaráin. Etc

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jun-20 11:27:37

I have absolutely no problem with our Monarch and immediate family having Private Health Care.

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 11:25:44

You would know all about the RN, then trisher!

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 11:24:31

Who is the Irish President - are they of the slightest significance on the world stage?

?

Classic Wed 03-Jun-20 11:16:22

I don't think not smoking, or drinking too much, or eating take aways, or slobbing out in front of the telly instead of working and exercising are signs of privilege.
If people take care of themselves and are lucky to not catch something or develop cancer they have the same opportunities to live a long healthy life as what you call the privileged.

Calendargirl Wed 03-Jun-20 11:09:35

That sounds like it would be the start of another Brexit debate Grany

Grany Wed 03-Jun-20 11:07:31

Nevertheless, the British monarchy is expensive – very expensive. With an estimated annual bill to the taxpayer of £300m, the Queen and her family cost over 100 times more than the Irish president.

The Queen is respected but after she goes there should be a vote on what people want a democratic Head of State or a feudal hereditary monarchy

trisher Wed 03-Jun-20 11:06:05

Callistemon actually service doctors are usually assigned to jobs in NHS hospitals except in times of conflict when they are recalled to treat service personnel. I taught 2 families with a parent working under this scheme. By using an RN doctor HM is taking one of these doctors out of the NHS but we are still paying their wages. If she wants a private doctor she should pay for it. As should the private schools.

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 10:58:31

X post, Pantglas
I agree

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 10:57:30

I'm not a sycophant, BlueSky but I think I am quite cautious, practical and I like value for my money.
Is it about £1.24 pa?

I can think of no-one who could do the job better apart from the RF direct line and those who are still working hard when required.
We have got our slimmed down monarchy.

Pantglas2 Wed 03-Jun-20 10:55:34

I agree Callistemon- admiration is the word rather than worship (not sure I feel that for anyone actually!). No one has done the job for longer or better and I include all presidents in that.

BlueSky Wed 03-Jun-20 10:51:11

Agree Calli I'm no royalist but I found it strangely reassuring when, at the beginning of lockdown, she told us that "We'll meet again" like a caring grandmother...