Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Evening Monday

(12 Posts)
MawB Tue 02-Jun-20 08:36:49

Riots in London and elsewhere don’t look good at all. Could this be a spin-off from lockdown frustration?

confusedconfused

Did I miss something?
Massive rioting across the US against the murder of a black citizen going about his lawful business by a white policeman.
Washington ✔️
Minneapolis✔️
Boston✔️
But London?
Demonstrations - yes but “riots “ ?
Hmm (must have nodded off) ?

fatgran57 Tue 02-Jun-20 00:25:56

Missed your Sunday post Rufus hoping you were not going to vanish like MOnica and Gabriella neither of whom have been posting for some time.

We are well here in Tasmania and allowed back out and about. Our local hospital had to close down and the army was called in to deep clean due to an horrendous outbreak of the virus. Very poor indeed.

Have experienced that awful giddiness on a couple of occasions and it is very nasty.

Hope your visit to the doctor goes well.

ladymuck Mon 01-Jun-20 20:57:52

Sorry to learn of your problem, Rufus. My doctor thought I had BPPV, and tried the Epley manoeuvre. As nothing happened, he concluded that my bouts of dizziness were caused by an inflamed nerve in the ear, the aftermath of an inner-ear virus infection. He gave me some exercises to do, which seem to be helping.

Aldom Mon 01-Jun-20 20:39:48

Hello MarydolYes now you mention it I think Epley Manoeuvre is the term for what I saw done on TV. Thank you.

rafichagran Mon 01-Jun-20 20:37:26

Sorry you have been unwell Rufus.

Urmstongran Mon 01-Jun-20 20:34:48

Poor you Rufus I’ve had that BPPV too a couple of years ago. It scared the s**t out of me! I was getting in a lift and suddenly my head was spinning as if I were drunk. I was scared I would fall it was a right ‘whoosh’ lurching kind of feeling. I sat on the floor for safety. If anyone had seen me they’d have thought I’d had one too many!

It frightened me I’ll be honest. I saw the GP. Got referred to the hospital, had an MRI brain scan. Normal (phew!). I was given those exercise sheets Marydoll.

Anyway this is not supposed to be about me. Glad you’re okay Rufus it’s a horrid time you’ve had. Hope you’re over the worst.
?

Marydoll Mon 01-Jun-20 19:52:25

Epley manouevour.

Is this what you mean, Aldom?

www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/home-epley-maneuver#:~:text=The%20home%20Epley%20maneuver%20is,are%20found%20inside%20your%20ear.

Megs36 Mon 01-Jun-20 19:49:01

Oh Rufus so sorry to hear you’ve been rough, I must say that illness is a mystery to me, I hope it doesn’t often happen.Do you get any warning beforehand? Take things carefully.
Still not had our walk, no won’t see daughter-in-law but her husband (our son)! popped in today, first time we’ve seen him for weeks, he brought his own flask of tea and we sat in the garden chatting, it was lovely. Also had long conversation with granddaughter in Devon so great day, little things please little minds?Will make our ‘walk out’ but tomorrow. Hopefully.
Keep well Rufus, don’t overdo things
Cheers???

Aldom Mon 01-Jun-20 19:13:36

Hello Rufus2. Sorry you're unwell I looked for your post several times on Sunday evening. Felt concerned in case you were ill. Good to know you are on the mend. I saw a doctor on TVcure the crystals in the ear problem. With the patient on his back the doctor moved patients head quickly and put the crystals in place. I'll see if I can find out more about your condition from SSil, but don't see him, due to lock down. Will enquire via DD. Glorious weather. Spent afternoon with friend, drinking wine in her garden. She has dementia and enjoys my visits. Always following the social distancing rules. Rest well. Hope visit to GP is useful and helpful. ???

Rufus2 Mon 01-Jun-20 14:59:55

in moderation' which was a white lie
Don't you worry about that BlueSky From experience I've learned that whatever you "confess" to the doc. they always double it; Cigarettes or Standard drinks, they apply the same formula! grin.

BlueSky Mon 01-Jun-20 14:15:12

Hi Rufus sorry to hear you have had an another attack of BPPV! Must be a frightening thing even if you know what it is. Hopefully your red wine has been 'in moderation?' Better mentioning the wine to the doctor. I used to tell them I drank 'in moderation' which was a white lie. wink

Rufus2 Mon 01-Jun-20 14:02:58

Sorry that Good Evening Sunday went missing, but I was proper poorly.due to another bout of BPPV (that’s Benign Paraoxysmal Positional Vertigo, for anyone not as familiar with medical acronyms as what I am!) hmm
Oopsadaisy; could be of interest!
Awoke at 3.00am Sunday morning feeling clammy, but no sweating. Felt like being sick, stomach churning, but nothing! Went to get up to toilet in adjacent ensuite and everything spinning round rapidly. Got to toilet, but legs very wobbly, so back to bed for the next 30 hours! Got up at 9.am this morning after working out that nothing was spinning anymore.
Tell you what though! Under the Doona was the best place to be yesterday!
Phoned the doctor to have it put on my records, but now he wants to see me thinking “stroke” sad
Will be my first outing for 8 weeks, but I don’t think they’ll put me into hospital like last time which was Valentine’s Day, not easy to forget! They’ll need their beds for other patients.!
So, appetite regained; smoked cod and parsley sauce for dinner this evening
BlueSky Thought you might have to retract your “living proof” compliment, but my Mancunian genes must be pretty tough or it could be the Red (in moderation!)
Aldom Would your SIL be au fait with BPPV? Apart from “Crystals” in the ear not doing what they should; nobody here can enlighten me; even good old Dr. G hasn’t helped much so far.
At least your depot was open for a while, even if you missed it. Our No2 son has agreed to take me to the Docs tomorrow, so he can visit the Mail Centre instead of hanging around the surgery. I think it was my wobbly legs and the fact that our kind neighbour had offered to pick up the parcel that spurred him into action!
Megs Good news that you can both get out again for walks; but why only one walk? If’ as they say, the virus is spread by close contact, you’re hardly going to double your chances of catching it if the first “Chance” is zero; or am I missing something? But don’t overdo it of course. Your first taste of freedom might go to your head! Is your daughter-in-law able to go with you, or does she live elsewhere.? She definitely sounds encouraging and good for her.

I had to smile at the opening greeting from Gransnet, “How to avoid loneliness in lockdown for older people." I know it’s a serious matter, but the thought of engaging our 33year old married grandson in Blue Peter origami or paper aeroplanes might destroy a loving relationship and his wife wouldn’t be best pleased either!
Riots in London and elsewhere don’t look good at all. Could this be a spin-off from lockdown frustration?
So far BPPV free! hmm
Good Health wine wine wine
OoRoo