Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday

(51 Posts)
12Michael Tue 02-Jun-20 06:12:59

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a blue sky with some cloud over Brackley this morning.
I had a phone call yesterday as to two planned theatre trips , one had been already cancelled from its March date ,and the other has been cancelled, the good side I having paid in full will get the money back , only hope I can see the shows next year.
One and most obvious is the 2m ruling for shows , so a coach party group wo would normally be placed in certain rows, would be very badly done, with that ruling so every other row would be empty then every 3rd seat you would have someone, as to couples unsure how it would work .
Take Care
Mick

Grammaretto Tue 02-Jun-20 17:50:15

Taichinan all that Tai chi is obviously an elixir of youth.

Taichinan Tue 02-Jun-20 17:12:49

Very belated hello to everyone from the Angus coast. There's been a wee smattering of raindrops since about 2.30, and it's definitely cooler. But not to worry, the good weather will return - and I did manage to finish cutting all the grass! Lovely laugh this afternoon - I had to show actual paper proof to the Amazon delivery driver that I was over 18!! I have been for over 60 years, but apparently it isn't obvious ?. I'm still chuckling. Enjoy the rain and coolth everybody. ??

Grammaretto Tue 02-Jun-20 15:44:16

Elizabeth1 That sounds great! smile

A very nice part of France though I fear far too hot for the likes of this Northerner. Grandmafrench

If it hadn't been for covid-19 we would be heading to Provence next week to meet our NZ family for a holiday. Neither of us can travel now. C'est la vie!

Elizabeth1 Tue 02-Jun-20 14:42:03

It’s been a lovely sunny and warm morning here on the east coast of Fife and like Brunettes 10 said the rains to come either later today or tomorrow. The garden will love the rain. I’ve had a brilliant visit from a friend who cheered me up. She sat outside well away from me. I’m no longer in the doldrums hurrah for friendships smile

Gingster Tue 02-Jun-20 14:28:20

Thankyou ellanvannin and *grannygravy. Your reassurances have put my mind at rest. I won’t push him to do more than he feels like doing. I knew wise GN would have advice. ♥️

Kalu Tue 02-Jun-20 12:28:40

Good luck for today kitty ?

whywhywhy Tue 02-Jun-20 11:57:23

Good morning from a sunny Market Harborough.

Grandmafrench Tue 02-Jun-20 11:42:53

susan people can be so short-sighted. Never a good idea to fall out with neighbours, it ruins the atmosphere for everyone. However, it's amazing that some people just don't comply with the law. Forceful voices don't always win in any dispute! If you have a tree or bushes on a boundary or where branches, etc., intrude into a neighbouring garden, the neighbour (on or over whose land the tree intrudes) has every right to cut off or cut down anything at all which is growing across his side of the boundary. Of course, it's always a good idea to mention, if you have stuff growing into your side of the boundary, that you would like the offending growth removed, if you have a reasonable and neighbourly relationship. Whatever is cut, should then always be offered to the owner of the tree, because it's his own
property, but normally people are happy to have the tree trimmed, the mess cleared and disposed of. After all, it's no longer in their own garden so they could probably do without the extra work.

There's a slightly more sensible rule here in France which allows for trees or hedging of any height just as long as they are planted no nearer than 2m from the boundary. This prevents unreasonable requests or demands from neighbours should you wish to grow some tall trees or a very high hedge.

Sar53. We live not far from Montpellier in the department of Herault, but on the coast. Whatever you do, don't forget to follow your dream !!

Kalu Tue 02-Jun-20 11:03:54

Good morning all from a bright warm day in Glasgow, no sun as yet but still a pleasant day.

Main job today is to repot two box topiary balls into Versailles planters I freshened up with a new coat of pain yesterday.

Housework is being done in fits and starts until the weather breaks, supposedly in a couple of days. Dishwasher still dead but I can live with that until it’s safe to have a new one installed.

Hoping you are having a bit of a better day BlueSapphire.

Wishes for a good day to all.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Jun-20 10:43:43

Gingster I second what EV said, Mr.GG13 had a TIA a few years ago, as well as being a wake-up call it did take a fair while for him to be up and running again

gillgran Tue 02-Jun-20 10:19:47

Good Morning to you all from a sunny & hot N.,Cambs.,

Norfolk your boat trips sound lovely, I bet the people on the seat have a tinge of green envy. !! I don't know much about boats, (DH does have a kayak), I do like to watch them, & love the coast, especially when we can get to our little "home-from-home", (Nfk, in the Wash), again.

Look after yourselves folk.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 02-Jun-20 10:07:04

Morning everyone from a sunny South Notts. I've some washing on the line and am expecting a visit from my sister this afternoon. I expect she'll use the 'tradesmen's entrance' (ie the side gate) and we'll sit in the garden at a safe distance. I suggested that she may like to bring her own tea cup but am not sure if that's taking things too far.
Like many here I've not had a proper visit for week so it's something to look forward to.
Hope all is well with everyone. Barclays need a bomb up their backside Gilly, hope you hear soon.

Susan56 Tue 02-Jun-20 10:04:51

Cherry,hope you are feeling better?

Susan56 Tue 02-Jun-20 10:04:22

Good morning from sunny Shropshire.

Had a busy day yesterday catching up with house and garden stuff,nothing much planned for today.

Good news this morning from my brother.He was made redundant at the start of lockdown along with 200 of his colleagues.He had worked for the company for many years and it came as a shock to all the employees who lost their jobs.At 58 he wasn’t sure of his chances of getting another job but he has found out this morning that his interviews were successful and he starts next week?

Very difficult for your DIL Marydoll with her mum not following the lockdown rules and very difficult for you that she lives next door.

Our neighbour is obsessed with the boundary fence and trees dragonfly and I understand your upset.I get so stressed talking to them about anything as I always think she will mention a branch that she thinks should or shouldn’t have been cut off.She has a very forceful voice?

My DGD aged 4 is desperate to go to Spain Urmston.We Saw them on Sunday and I had a ‘holiday’ outfit on,she said grandma you look like Spain!My daughter says she brings Spain into most conversations and keeps asking how many sleeps to until they go on the aeroplane?

Have a good day all and stay safe.

EllanVannin Tue 02-Jun-20 09:57:21

Good Morning All x.
Not as good a start to the day as it has been of late and you can sense there's going to be a change in the weather. Ah well never mind it was good while it lasted. It's not unpleasant however and still sunny enough to hang the last bits of washing out for the time being.

Neighbour who lost her son will be saying goodbye to her sister as she returns to Bournemouth this morning. The sister has been staying and has also popped in to mine for a chat too, so neighbour will be feeling down after she's gone. I've enjoyed the chatting/company too.

This year will feel like a " missed-out " one by the end of the year, it's been so odd and destructive in every way and one that we'll be glad to leave behind us. It'll change a lot in the way we live and go about things.

Gingster, don't expect DH to be jumping through hoops for a while yet as although a TIA is only a mini-stroke it's still a warning that you mustn't run before you walk and it does knock the stuffing out of you. It took me many months before I felt " normal " as it affected my balance even though I hadn't been aware until a CT scan showed it up. I wasn't in hospital and hadn't suffered any ill effects apart from being dizzy.

Maybe because I was already on thinners and statins. It does slow you down though, but I suppose it's nature's way.

Such a worthwhile job Scentia and rewarding too. It came at the right time ? Glad you're enjoying it, challenging too !

What's wrong with your legs, Gillybob ? Or have I missed your original explanation/ post ? My brain seems to be in overload and not everything penetrates it at times grin

Will enjoy my last half hour or so in the sun as right now it's beautiful and hot. Stay safe and well everyone xx

BladeAnnie Tue 02-Jun-20 09:45:17

Morning all from a sunny mid-Notts although I believe the weather is about to turn tomorrow. A day of bitting and bobbing on the cards here I think and corned beef hash for tea. Stay safe everyone and may Tuesday be kind to us all x

Sar53 Tue 02-Jun-20 09:24:43

Good morning everyone from a sunny Essex by the sea. The wind has dropped, thank goodness. It's been quite chilly right by the beach for the past few days. I think I tomorrow is going to bring very different weather.
Grandmafrench may I ask whereabouts you are in the South of France ? It was one of our dreams to move there but we may, when circumstances allow, rent somewhere for a few months. We both love France and had many happy holidays there, with our respective first spouses, when our girls were young.
No plans today apart from a walk .
Have a very pleasant day and stay safe xx

Nortsat Tue 02-Jun-20 09:20:35

Good morning Mick and the GM team, from a bright, warm east London.
Puzzler what a lovely afternoon with your sister. ?
Grammaretto, mmmm strawberries, cream and wine in the garden, how lovely.
Ginny, modern art on the OU - you have inspired me to have a look too.

It’s sad the number of concert and theatre refunds we have recently received, several for events we were really looking forward to. We received a full refund in each case, with only Ronnie Scott’s (understandably) dragging their heels. It must be a dreadful worry for businesses and I certainly feel for the GNs on this thread, who are business owners struggling.

On a happier note, I bought myself a Missoni scarf, in Liberty’s sale, with one of my refunds. I plan to wear it in the garden and on my daily walk, as I have no other opportunities.

I am cooking sausages in the oven now (before the day heats up) and plan to serve them with potato salad and a cold beer, this evening.

My wretched phone is being replaced with a new one, as the fault apparently cannot be fixed! It was obviously not properly checked, before it was dispatched to me in April.

Have a pleasant day all, special good thoughts to those who need them and ‘let’s be careful out there’. ?

GrannySomerset Tue 02-Jun-20 09:17:57

Making the most of the last day of good weather by washing bedspreads - two on line (washed last night) and one in machine. That’s all of today’s planned activity done!

Must get DH up, washed, shaved and dressed now, and then it will be coffee time, but not sure what we will do beyond that. Might totter up to the village if it’s not too hot. Lethargy rules.

Grandmafrench Tue 02-Jun-20 09:06:20

Good Morning Everyone! Hot and ? sunny with a few clouds now and then here in S of Franceland.

The Great Escape here today, although lots (probably related to Marydoll’s DiL’s selfish Mum/Neighbour) have been pleasing themselves with interesting versions of Covid rules for a couple of weeks now. I’m not sure about reporting people. I have been tempted. But I do feel that people shouldn’t be enabled/encouraged to strut around in their Rules Are For Other People mindsets. In your DiL’s position and holding the very big card (little GC) I would have told them no visits, cos you won’t respect others’ safety. That would have slowed her down ! Leave the deep cleaning until your energy levels match your enthusiasm, Md ? grin

Shame about your neighbour’s outburst, dragonfly. People with ‘boundary-itis’ can be so stupid. When trees are that close to a boundary, they’re always going to cause drama. The thing with cherry trees is they really need to be kept in check to look nice and stay manageable. They put on so much growth each year, that a hard prune (even if you thought it a bit extreme) will only result in a better-looking tree. This time next year, they’ll possibly wonder why they felt the need to make so much fuss!

Nfk wonderful entertainment for people watching boats...especially if there’s a garden seat for the purpose. Have you seen how throngs of people gather at locks and bridges where boating almost becomes an extreme sport! We’ve done it on the Canal du Midi as the hire boats pass, sometimes filled with happy waving people, sometimes with people so busy arguing that they’ll forget they’ve not taken down umbrellas as they pass under a bridge! Pottering and looking for Otters sounds so much more fun.

I am waiting for new glasses (10 days)?. I left my Raybans first, as sunglasses I can manage without and I’m keeping the frames, so no need to spend time choosing others. I only have one pair of proper glasses (how daft is that) but in my defence until recently haven’t needed to wear them so much. I’m getting 2 pairs now. However when my sunglasses are ready, I’ve just realised that I shall need to wear them for everything - even when it’s dark, until my glasses are ready. Just as well no plans to be out and about in the evenings, or I’ll look a proper poseur ?!

DH just gone out to pick up fresh fruit and veggies, not risking the market yet, though. If it’s too busy, we’ll just have to get on the bus and turn up at Lins for supper. Please save us peppers, just the sort of food we love.

Fishing shop this p.m. for some bits, if it’s calm there. Otherwise just a stroll around the harbour then home.

Have a good day all. Try to avoid wobbles and worries and make the most of that sunshine. Only 19 days and the longest day will be here - do wish the time would slow a little whilst the world sorts itself out.

Big hugs from across The Channel ??

Anniebach Tue 02-Jun-20 08:57:38

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

gillybob Tue 02-Jun-20 08:45:33

Good morning from the NE coast where it is cloudy and a lot cooler . Bad weather on its way later today and for the next few days .

Managed to get a bit done at work yesterday and brought some stuff home with me so I don’t have to go in today . Still no letter from the bank . I think that £50 was a “shut up and go away” payment .

Managed a little walk with DH yesterday evening . We must’ve looked like a right pair. My legs are driving me nuts so I’m walking a bit like a robot and he is still quite weak . Anyone seeing us would’ve thought we were an old couple in our 90’s .

So glad your beloved Malaga is slowly returning to normal Urmstongran smile

Your day messing about in the river sounds idyllic nfk I can imagine those people watching the antics from their chairs . “Here’s another right pair” grin I bet they don’t half get a good laugh.

Sorry you had to get shouted at over the tree dragonfly it’s not as though you cut it personally is it? Surely the professional knew what he was doing? You have been through an awful lot lately and don’t need aggro from neighbours over a tree !

Any sign of that baby yet mancgirl ? It must be well cooked by now smile

Glad your DD is feeling properly pregnant now Scentia I bet you are feeling quite relieved yourself . Hope you enjoy a nice long sleep ......you’ve certainly earned it .

The Spontaneous visit from you sister sounded lovely puzzler what a nice surprise that was . smile

Well I hope everyone has the best day possible . I will catch up on those I missed over another cup of good old Yorkshire tea.

Love Gillybob xx

Mapleleaf Tue 02-Jun-20 08:44:06

Good morning all,

It’s another nice day here in South Yorkshire, though there is more cloud about, making it feel a little cooler. This is supposed to be the last day of the warm spell and it changes to cooler cloudier weather from tomorrow.

A few chores to do including the ironing that is intended to do yesterday but got side tracked with gardening jobs and vacuuming, (I don’t need much persuasion to be side tracked from ironing ?) and can’t venture far from the house as I’m expecting a couple of parcel deliveries today.

That’s good news to hear Urmstongran that there were no reported deaths in Spain yesterday. Let’s hope that good news continues and also spreads to other countries too very soon.

Your neighbour coming round to shout at you must have been upsetting, dragonfly, especially over something so trivial. Doesn’t he realise that trees have a habit of growing again? Our magnolia looked positively naked when we had it cut back in December, but looking at it now it’s covered in leaves again, which proves the point that, when pruned by a properly trained gardener/tree surgeon, they have a habit of bouncing back. You did the right thing in having it hard pruned, and I’m sure your neighbour will get over it in time. The last thing you want is damage to your foundations and the last thing he will want is the bill to rectify the damage!

Hope everyone has the best day they can. Take care and keep safe. ?

Greyduster Tue 02-Jun-20 08:24:56

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. It’s cool and cloudy in South Yorkshire and, I hesitate to say, quite welcome! We have another batch of elderflower cordial to bottle today and I feel that it will not be as fragrant and successful as the last. I think I may have misread the recipe! We’ll see. Chicken curry for dinner. Have the best day you can, folks.

harrigran Tue 02-Jun-20 08:21:02

Good morning from a mild NE where there is some haze.
Will spend some time in the garden reading, last chance as the forecast is not good for tomorrow.
Trying to use up contents of fridge in readiness for tomorrow's grocery order. Duck breasts and stir fried vegetables for lunch.
BIL remains critically ill with very little news reaching us, I always feared this with them living abroad.
Take care everyone.