Gransnet forums

Chat

What’s the best thing to happen for you in this last week?

(141 Posts)
lemongrove Thu 04-Jun-20 11:10:30

The best thing for me was when DGS ( teenager) turned up at the door bearing a large bag of flour, he knew I hadn’t been able to get any via delivered shopping.?
The other thing was when DD called round on Monday and we sat in the garden with iced drinks and chatted for an hour.

lemongrove Sun 07-Jun-20 17:41:48

Some lovely posts on here...does me good just to read them.?
natasha yes, the loo problem remains doesn’t it?When out somewhere, after a while most people ( even those with strong bladders, are bound to need the loo......
and tbh I couldn't wait half an hour in an queue for one these days.?

Jules59 Sun 07-Jun-20 15:53:20

GrannyMosh - what a beautiful thing. My son writes lyrics and composes too. He also writes a column in a national newspaper and recently wrote about his Mum .. me and yes I cried too. So proud x

natasha1 Sun 07-Jun-20 13:23:21

I saw a friend for 1/2 hour.in here garden 1st time for 6 months.

Also want to.deliver.ppe to.doctors surgery and.on the way.back found a lovely take away.cafe in a.little park i.didnt.know was there.
Had tea.and cake by the lake with only about 10-15 people about and felt like a "normal" day, apart from.loo.situation, had to go Sainsbury's for them
Buy a lovely hour, will.go.again when.rain.stops.x

vampirequeen Sat 06-Jun-20 20:27:46

Brigidsdaughter….I'm eating healthily and moving more. I use My Fitness Pal to keep a food/exercise diary. It also recommends the number of calories for my height and weight. I always start the day with porridge and usually have some sort of salad for lunch. Tea is whatever we'd usually have. Today was braising steak, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and mashed potatoes (200g). We also eat sausages, curries, spag bol...normal food. I love fruit so that's my sweet stuff. Sometimes we have a cake or Magnum but it's a treat rather than the normal it used to be. We also cycle or walk most days.

Gramann….it's a Trek Marin 7. Today we went for a quickie ride because the weather wasn't promising. It was only a 3 mile ride but it's a challenging route with steep hills, long drags and an off road section. The new bike is so light compared to my old bike.

Grannyjay Sat 06-Jun-20 20:19:10

There was a knock on the door and there was my daughter with my four month old granddaughter who I had only seen once when she was six weeks early. We hugged and we kissed and I held my granddaughter in my arms looking into those beautiful eyes. Then I woke up!

Gramann Sat 06-Jun-20 18:45:33

What sort is your bike - I am looking for something lighter too.

BlueSky Sat 06-Jun-20 16:47:00

GrauntyHelen I thought we could use family's toilet as long as surfaces cleaned after each visit?

dubaigran Sat 06-Jun-20 15:45:09

Celebrated my youngest daughter graduating from Medical College on Tuesday. She had a virtual online ceremony and a small party at home, just us, but we are so happy and proud of her.

Daisyboots Sat 06-Jun-20 14:35:03

Good luck with your continuing treatment nannalyn . I am on oral chemo at the moment which means a trip to the hospital every 3 weeks for blood analysis. But so far holding up well. Good news for you too Carmel

My good news was that on Thursday we went to see my DS and DDiL in their lovely home in the mountains in Portugal. So very different to where we live on the coast. It was lovely to see them after 3 months apart. We also went to see the house they have just bought which they are planning to let out for holidays as it is such a beautiful area with a river beach nearby. We also went for lunch at the nearby restaurant by the river sitting on the terrace under the grapevines. All tables well spaced apart and sanitized before you sit down. We have to wear masks when we arrive and use hand sanitizer. But can take them off to eat obviously although the waiters have to keep masks on all the time.
Then yesterday I saw my palliative care doctor and she worked out a plan to reduce my strong pain medication so hopefully I can come off most of it altogether . Then when I got home my son had managed to sort out our Whats app and there were photos and videos of my youngest grandson who I had seen fir the first time when he was a month old in November 2018 a couple of months before my cancer diagnosis. Since then I have been unable to travel anywhere. So it has been a good week for me. :D

Blinko Sat 06-Jun-20 08:58:34

I have started going out with my friend in a morning when she walks her dog. It helps blow the cobwebs away. So far she has shown me lots of walks locally that I wouldn't have thought of on my own. OH doesn't walk owing to arthritic knees.

BBbevan Sat 06-Jun-20 05:30:36

Like many others of our age ( mid70s) we remain in lockdown. We have been working very hard in the garden. Having finished our latest project and being a bit tired we have had a "holiday" week.
Ordered some special food and wine. We have just relaxed. Gone for walks, bike rides. Watched television, read etc. Cooked together in the evening. It has been lovely. Might do another week. Why not?

Nannan2 Sat 06-Jun-20 01:31:24

Oh, and i got my fridge repaired within 2 days of reporting fault-(good because ive to keep medicines in it too) only downside to this being, despite the 'interogation' before booking appt, of safety rules etc, when old-ish repairman turned up he asked to use my loo- what a cheek! I allowed him to as i thought he couldn't hold it maybe, given his age- but i admonished him by reminding him we aren't supposed to let folk do that now- and then spent a long time racked with worry and cleaning & disinfecting my downstairs loo after he went- but if i had not had downstairs one i would definitely have had to refuse! hmm

GrauntyHelen Sat 06-Jun-20 01:10:56

I had a camping toilet delivered so can now visit family and use my own facilities in the shed

Nannan2 Sat 06-Jun-20 01:07:28

Managing to lure my 2 youngest sons, 17& 21(both live at home) out into the back garden, to help 'hack' down some of the overgrown jungle..very rarely do they work as a team, (or get out in the sunshine) and even got quite a bit done & (mainly) got along with each other. I helped too how best i could (I've got osteo-arthritis) and it was not a big thing, but was a lovely afternoon.smile (but now its rained since) sad

hollysteers Sat 06-Jun-20 00:02:11

Wishing you all the best for your treatment NannaLynne.
Small things for me, my bird station has attracted a jay and I enjoy its regular visits. I have started reading a novel by Rose Macaulay, a new author for me and enjoying it so much I will carry on reading her. It also has a lovely 1930s cover. If I’m reading a material book, I do like a pretty cover!
Today a walk around the lake in the park in sun, wind and rain and now watching the news?with the cat full length on my lap, the wind howling outside.

ElaineI Fri 05-Jun-20 23:40:02

Seeing my DS social distancing for a walk and my DD1 and her DH and DGS1 and DGD for first time since lockdown social distancing on Saturday and Sunday. Looking after DGS2 as he is living with us - growing from baby to toddler, and waking us all this morning with "A... all wet" "Morning", "Granny out of bed" an hour earlier than usual - Sainsbury's nappy pants not as efficient as Aldi's. I say this out of exhaustion because DD2 childminder looking after key workers children only and although DD2 is a key worker, we are just under 65 so she said he is safer with us - not disputing this but DD2 works FT and it is tiring to look after 2yo full time after all these years. However I am mindful that many of you have not been able to see your families and we have part of ours living with us and the change between 23 and 26 months is amazing and has been wonderful (and frustrating - terrible twos) to be part of. Both DDs are making a lockdown diary for their children as I am sure many of Gransnet members children are. It is just very weird and unusual and different and not what anyone would have thought could actually happen.

Brigidsdaughter Fri 05-Jun-20 22:45:28

Vampirequeen ?????
Excellent. Any specific plan? ( I'm on 16:8, no sugar or sweet stuff)

NemoNanna Fri 05-Jun-20 21:34:45

Sitting under a caravan awning and parasol on a friend’s driveway whilst it poured with rain with two friends having an impromptu afternoon tea for one of their birthdays, two bottles of Prosecco later, we didn’t care about the rain but we’d had a bloomin’ good catch up and a giggle!

GrannyMosh Fri 05-Jun-20 21:13:58

Mine's a bit different. Living in a granny flat in the house of my only son and his family, I haven't suffered agonies of separation as so many of you have, and my heart goes out to you all. I don't know how I would have coped. My son is a lecturer at Osnabrück university, but is also a musician and has just released his 3rd solo album. He told me late last night that one of the tracks is a tribute to me. I heard it for the first time this morning (got up before the grandchildren especially to listen) and the tears flowed freely.

jerseygirl Fri 05-Jun-20 19:49:18

Seeing my grandson on his 3rd birthday in my daughters garden. Watching him open his presents and blow out the candles on his birthday cake.

Seefah Fri 05-Jun-20 18:41:32

Lovely to hear about all the new babies ? , loving meet ups ????, and happier times after the sacrifice of painful parting.

Seefah Fri 05-Jun-20 18:39:09

So many things! My Covid test came back negative ( so what I had was hay fever) * I finally got my dream imac * I got some lovely new clients I’m really looking forward to working with. * Another said she feels ‘light has poured into her life’ since she started ( one of the loveliest acknowledgement I’ve ever had).* It has rained for two days ☔️ smilesmilesmile

Polly4t42 Fri 05-Jun-20 17:11:37

A BBQ at my son and Family’s garden to celebrate his and his wife’s birthdays and watching him and my 3 yr old grandson play in the paddling pool.

minxie Fri 05-Jun-20 16:58:55

My boy called to say he is visiting this Sunday. I haven’t seen him since Christmas ? No hugs though ?

langelei Fri 05-Jun-20 16:39:03

The saddest things are the loss of a very dearly loved friend, one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet, who was also loved by so many people, not to Covid-19 but through complications from the dreadful Crohn's disease at the age of 56 and knowing my beloved baby (!) (he's only64) brother is about to move even further away from me, a further 250 miles. Really heartbroken. sad