Gransnet forums

Chat

A good company

(7 Posts)
Jane10 Mon 08-Jun-20 13:19:21

I've just learned that good old M&S have furloughed 25,000 staff on full pay and give working staff 15% extra pay. That's really looking after their staff. I like M&S anyway but like them even more now. I hope they don't end up bankrupt though.

EllanVannin Mon 08-Jun-20 13:37:25

Well done to them. That's incentive for you and appreciation of the staff too.

My GS who works for Morrisons, along with others received a nice bonus as appreciation for those who continued working in the food supply department. They also supply M&S with many items including cooked meats.

12Michael Mon 08-Jun-20 17:41:57

Locally in Banbury , at the moment they have 2 stores one is on a retail park, the other is in the town centre .
The town centre stores remains open mainly for the Food area , whilst the lockdown is running .
What I gather some staff will move to the retail park, and others will take retirement packages when the Town Centre store closes.
Also at Bicester they have a town centre Food Hall , this is closing , to make way for a out of town outlet.
Mick

Chewbacca Mon 08-Jun-20 17:50:36

I worked for Marks and Spencer for quite a few years and they were an excellent employer. Lots of staff benefits such as hairdressers, chiropodists, excellent staff discount that increased with each year of service. That's why staff stay with them for many years.

annep1 Mon 08-Jun-20 18:27:35

Nice to see staff being treated as they should be. Well done M&S for setting a good example.

BlueSky Mon 08-Jun-20 18:54:22

Shame that a lot of M&S stores have closed. They were the focal point of many towns. I know we can shop on line, and perhaps now we'll never return to browsing as we used to.

Jane10 Mon 08-Jun-20 20:19:41

That is the tragedy of the high street. So many retailers affected by 'showrooming' - shoppers going to shops to look at (and try on) all the stock then going home and ordering online. Can't have it both ways!