Gransnet forums

Chat

Changing the duvet cover

(42 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Wed 17-Jun-20 10:17:54

I have always struggled to change the cover on my duvet. Often leaving me in a bath of sweat, especially in this hot weather. Chatting to my sister the other day she happened to mention that she'd heard a tip (or hack as they're called now) on This Morning whereby once you get the corners of the duvet into the cover you attach pegs to hold them in place. Works an absolute treat!

watermeadow Sun 21-Jun-20 10:30:23

Marmight my washing machine is standard average size. My no-cover duvet is a double size, it’s very light and fits in easily then is dried out on the line or in the standard size tumble dryer.

Pittcity Sat 20-Jun-20 08:15:55

At this time of year we sleep under the duvet cover with no duvet in it.

JackyB Sat 20-Jun-20 08:04:11

I wash (and iron) the duvet cover inside out. Hands into the inside-out "bag", grab 2 corners of the duvet. Holding it over the banisters, drop it so the duvet cover turns out the right way, then spread it on the bed and tweak the corners. Do up fastening. Voilà!

kircubbin2000 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:14:15

I dont understand the problem.I take the top left corner and insert it till it reaches top left of the cover,then same on other side. Then work carefully down each side alternatively. Next reach in and insert bottom left then right. Give it a good shake and all done.

Megs36 Thu 18-Jun-20 10:54:58

Interesting method on you tube,theBurrito way, the only thing is I forget every time and have to look it up each time ?.
Jennifer eccles excellent idea about sheets,I-too have been doing this for some time, saves so much hassle.

OceanMama Thu 18-Jun-20 10:45:09

No more messing around with a duvet for me. I use coverlets. So much easier.

Gilly1952 Thu 18-Jun-20 10:22:55

I usually end up with my head and shoulders inside the duvet cover whilst trying to fit quilt into corners. Might have to try the “inside out” method next time!

Marmight Thu 18-Jun-20 10:17:16

Watermeadow How big is your washing machine!

Kalu Wed 17-Jun-20 19:45:06

Should I go down that road SueDonim chances are I would be flaking out on the unmade bed. Such a lightweight ?

I have ordered the pegs you recommended , thank you. Ooooh can’t wait for next bed changing day ?

watermeadow Wed 17-Jun-20 17:41:32

You don’t need to ever change another duvet cover.
You can buy duvets which require no cover. You wash them as often as you like and they dry in a day, ready to go back on the bed.
I got mine in John Lewis. It’s white, has a soft textured surface, is cool, cost £25. I can’t imagine why they haven’t caught on. M&S and some bedding companies also sell them.

Marmight Wed 17-Jun-20 16:41:44

I have a king size duvet. I used to get the late Mr Marmight to help but in his absence I tried the rolling method but kept forgetting how to do it ?. I just shove the duvet into the top 2 corners then the bottom 2, grip the duvet & both sides of the cover at the open end and shake like hell. Then do the same either side and bingo, Bob’s your uncle., job done!

Fennel Wed 17-Jun-20 16:39:21

When we lived in a house with a long bannister on the landing husband invented another way, 2 people needed -
Hang the cover over the bannister each keeping hold of a corner.
Lower the duvet evenly into this 'bag' keeping hold of the end duvet corner with the other hand.
Retrieve the duvet plus cover carefully - don't drop it!

HAZBEEN Wed 17-Jun-20 16:02:34

No Alima, use clip type pegs then remove afterwards. You also by what are basically extra large press studs that you use on each corner on the outside. But strong clip pegs work just as well as them.

JenniferEccles Wed 17-Jun-20 15:55:41

Mine flatly refuses Millie!!

I got him to change our kingsize one once and you wouldn’t believe all the huffing and puffing coming from upstairs!!

And this is a man who will spend all day digging the garden without complaint!

Millie22 Wed 17-Jun-20 15:13:23

I get my husband to do it. Works a treat!

Alima Wed 17-Jun-20 14:55:32

Intriguing. Are the pegs left on after all the flinging about? Bit uncomfortable. I have my own way, 2 corners of duvet into right-way-round cover, pull cover up, flap, sorted.

SueDonim Wed 17-Jun-20 14:53:28

grin Kalu! Maybe something more fortifying than coffee is required. wine

Kalu Wed 17-Jun-20 14:45:03

Changing a super king duvet cover requires a coffee break halfway through?. Shaking or flinging any of it about is out with my abilities, then there is a fitted sheet to go snuggly under the mattress ? I also use flat sheets too as I prefer white bed linen. My own worst enemy!

The peg idea sounds good so I will give it a try?

Wheniwasyourage Wed 17-Jun-20 14:29:04

I wash and store duvet covers inside out. Then I put them on as BlueBelle describes, and that means that the odd socks which find their way inside the covers, even if you close them for washing, are eventually discovered. It works for me.

MissAdventure Wed 17-Jun-20 14:28:23

I have terrible trouble changing the duvet cover.
I do the inside out method, but I spend ages trying to shake it into shape.
I need a lie down by the time I've done it.

annodomini Wed 17-Jun-20 14:22:12

Having a patterned duvet on top of a sheet would be rather like the eiderdowns we used to have on our beds before the 1970s. I tried having a sheet under the duvet, but missed the 'snuggling' feeling my duvet gives me without a sheet coming between it and me.

JenniferEccles Wed 17-Jun-20 14:15:50

I really can’t see how the patterned duvet would work with no cover.

You would have to take the duvet to the dry cleaners every week or so !

I have a top sheet as well as a bottom one which are washed weekly.
This means the duvet cover doesn’t need changing quite so often.

FarNorth Wed 17-Jun-20 13:37:30

I like the rolling up method for a double quilt. Not any quicker, but it is easier.

Despite having the middle press-stud fastened, the last time I washed a single cover my machine still managed to turn it inside out.
Maybe it's trying to be helpful.

SueDonim Wed 17-Jun-20 13:28:05

I’ve tried that rolling up method but I didn’t find it any easier.

Spice101 Wed 17-Jun-20 13:04:21

I struggled for ages with changing the cover until I found this method.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRPfudNNd8Y

the other thing I did was sew tapes at the top - each side and middle - of the case and the duvet and tie them so that the duvet does not slip down in the cover over time. Could also do this on the sides and hold it both ways.