Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have background music on in daytime

(23 Posts)
paddyanne Sat 20-Jun-20 22:39:57

I have heart radio on while I exercise in the mornings and my CD collection gets played while I do housework Tonight I'm watching Singer Sonwriters at the BBC from the late 60's to late 70's .2 hours of songs I've mainly forgotten apart from James taylor and John Martyn but worth listening to

Dollymc2 Sat 20-Jun-20 19:41:02

When I'm cooking, doing housework, ironing etc, then yes, I love the radio (Alexa) on. I listen to local radio for news updates and when I was making a lasagne today, I enjoyed Etta James. The windows were open and I am almost certain that the neighbours enjoyed my joining in with her ?
If, however, I am reading, I like silence

Gingster Sat 20-Jun-20 19:18:39

I always put my music on when DH is out, which isn’t very often. He prefers to have the t.v on . ? I love to put my cd’s on when I bake or iron. I have a radio in the summerhouse so often put classic fm on out there.

grannylyn65 Sat 20-Jun-20 19:10:46

I have friends I stay with who have radio on permanently! I secretly gnash my teeth!!!

Urmstongran Sat 20-Jun-20 19:07:22

Out here in Spain I put Radio Malaga on with the kettle for my morning cuppa. 2 English speaking contemporary songs to 1 Spanish. DJ’s are Spanish so I only understand odd words & phrases but I love it as it reminds me I’m out here in Spain! It’s on now actually ....
?

ladymuck Sat 20-Jun-20 18:38:55

I like peace and quiet and only put on music when I want to actually sit and listen to it.
Forcing others to listen to your music is the height of insensitivity.

merlotgran Sat 20-Jun-20 18:34:59

I like to listen to Ken Bruce while I'm doing housework. When I'm working in the greenhouse I normally listen to Classic FM on my little battery radio.

I prefer peace and quiet in the garden but I can often hear DH's radio (always Radio 2) drifting out from the workshop and him shouting out answers to PopMaster or arguing with Jeremy Vine. grin

Cabbie21 Sat 20-Jun-20 18:25:35

I put my bedside radio on for classical music as soon as I wake up and also when I go to bed. I use headphones so I don’t disturb anyone and it settles me in my own little world before sleep. In the morning I put the radio on when I come down but it doesn’t stay on for long. When I go to do something on my laptop upstairs I put music on there. I often wish I had listened to more music during the day. Every evening DH has the TV on, though tonight there is nothing we want to watch, so maybe a DVD.

maryrose54 Sat 20-Jun-20 18:24:16

I like background music as it means I don't hear sounds from next door when the neighbours are home- not that they are noisy but I'd rather not hear them. Usually Radio 2 or ClassicFM.

craftyone Sat 20-Jun-20 18:11:10

I love silence, if I want sound then I go outside and the birds are always there. I am not worried by my thoughts.

Charleygirl5 Sat 20-Jun-20 12:47:58

I prefer silence at home and I hate going into a shop or store where the music is not background but taking over. I usually leave or if I have to stay- ie meeting friends for lunch (remember those days?) I would say something.

sodapop Sat 20-Jun-20 12:46:13

Same here Poppyred I still miss Terry Wogan.

ginny Sat 20-Jun-20 12:30:59

I enjoy some music and some radio but continual background noise drives me mad.

Shelmiss Sat 20-Jun-20 11:52:19

Yes, all day every day. More often than not we have the radio (Radio X) or sometimes playlists on Sonos. Can’t be doing with no life in the house!

Juliet27 Sat 20-Jun-20 11:49:51

Like BBbevan I prefer silence...or birdsong.

Kalu Sat 20-Jun-20 11:46:47

We choose!

starbird Sat 20-Jun-20 11:44:06

I don’t have music on as often as I’d like because I live in a terraced house and the walls are thin. Luckily my neighbours are like me - they either don’t like it or use earphones. I do listen when sitting down but again use earphones, and with tv have it on mute and use subtitles.
If things were different I would play music - anything from 60’s pop to classical and opera, or listen to radio 4, a lot more but I also enjoy silence - there is a time in the evenings before it gets dark when the birds, especially a blackbird, sing loudly for about an hour - I have the back door open or sit outside and the birdsong, together with the perfume of my roses each chosen for their scent, is nature’s way to calm and uplift the soul. ( I just need a recliner garden chair!) .

Kalu Sat 20-Jun-20 11:42:40

We have music playing every day in certain rooms we chose on Sonos as we both love music and fortunately have the same tastes. Mostly classical but we can also be in the mood for Blues or Jazz.

BBbevan Sat 20-Jun-20 11:30:39

No, I very rarely have the radio on at all. I like silence.

Poppyred Sat 20-Jun-20 11:13:59

Yes have Radio 2 playing in the background all day, the house is too quiet otherwise.

PinkCakes Sat 20-Jun-20 11:13:16

I work part-time (hospital ward, so it's always noisy), and when I get home, I like peace and quiet for a couple of hours. Once I've relaxed, I like to listen to music. Last night it was Otis Redding, Little Richard and Bob Marley.

Today, it's Paul Rodgers, Plan B and Queen smile

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 20-Jun-20 10:24:54

Before DH retired and before Covid, as soon as he left for work the music came on, however, it’s on his PC which is on the desk in our hallway.
Now he’s at home all day, hates my music so I either have to go into the Study with Earphones in or use my iPad, again with earphones in which I hate.
So we have a quiet house, as I don’t enjoy the radio.
Something will soon have to be done.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 20-Jun-20 10:20:43

Although we have what I would call a calm house, I have to have music on in the background, it’s the first thing I do when I wake up, do any gransnetters like music, I would rather have music playing than listen to daytime programmes