Gransnet forums

Chat

Covid tracking app

(7 Posts)
vampirequeen Sat 20-Jun-20 18:51:55

Did you know that the app was downloaded to your phone the other day? I certainly didn't. To check if it's there go to settings, open Google Apps and you'll see it at the top of your Google Apps list. You have to OK it to be switched on but there is no way you delete it. Now I have no problem with the idea of the app but it's my phone and my choice as to whether I should download it. I chose not to because it's had some very bad reviews but it's there anyway.

My phone is my property. It's not for anyone else to decided what is downloaded onto it.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 20-Jun-20 18:58:04

Apparently it’s been downloaded on the latest update, you don’t have to switch it on, so it’s not live unless you want it to be.

vampirequeen Sat 20-Jun-20 19:11:27

That's not the point though. They've downloaded an app that I didn't give permission for and there is no way to delete it. It's an invasion of privacy.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 20-Jun-20 19:21:18

In your Settings there is a privacy setting this is also on the iPhone without your permission, I assume that you haven’t enabled that one ?
So don’t enable the new one.
There are several Apps on the iPhone that are downloaded automatically that can’t be removed, I just don’t turn them on.

paddyanne Sat 20-Jun-20 19:34:48

It doesn't work but the WM one has the ability to read your data ....the Scottish Trace Track and Protect doesn't share data with anyone.Its for use by NHS Scotland and no one else .Oh and it works AND it didn't cost us hundreds of millions of punds to one of Dominic Cummings pals !

Marydoll Sat 20-Jun-20 20:12:30

There is already a thread about this if you are interested.
www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1280662-When-did-this-happen

NanaandGrampy Sat 20-Jun-20 23:41:30

They haven’t downloaded an app. They have downloaded the software to use with an app if and when one is available . Even then you would have to choose to download the app and choose to switch on the software .

It’s no more sinister than any of the other health options which you may or may not choose to use .