Gransnet forums

Chat

New rules from 4th July just announced,

(100 Posts)
sharon103 Tue 23-Jun-20 14:02:48

Boris Johnson has announced a new “one-metre plus” social distancing rule in England in his latest easing of the coronavirus lockdown.

Speaking in the House of Commons on Tuesday, the prime minister said cutting the distance from two metres will allow the stricken hospitality sector to start reopening.

Johnson said that “where it is possible to keep two metres apart, people should. But where it is not, we will advise people to keep a social distance of one metre plus, meaning they should remain one metre apart while taking mitigations to reduce the risk of transmission.”

He subsequently confirmed pubs, restaurants, hotels, cinemas and hairdressers can reopen from 4 July providing they are “COVID-secure”.
Johnson also announced two households will be allowed to meet indoors and stay overnight.

absthame Thu 25-Jun-20 15:11:46

Masks protects others, hand washing protects others and self, gloves protect self.

absthame Thu 25-Jun-20 15:09:26

It seems to me that all this shower of a government are capable of is lying, deceit and at every opportunity killing off any one over the age of 65.

I'm 75, semi-retired still working in technology and when necessary visiting customer sites (complete with PPE to reduce risks to customers.)

Am I willing to follow that idiot who I have for years seen stumbling around my town, twiddling his hair and looking like a pumped up Ollie (I suppose his Hardy is some what shrunk and goes by the name of Cummings)?

No I will not follow the lying deceitful slob, you can and put your life in his hands angry angry angry

.............................. rant over SORRY blushblushblushblush

rosie1959 Thu 25-Jun-20 13:24:46

I must admit I wonder why people wear gloves as it goes against medical advice unless you change them everytime you touch something?

Sawsage2 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:38:01

I thought from the start of this that everyone should wear masks and gloves when out as I have, and will do for the foreseeable future. It's no hassle and should be made mandatory, same as a lot of countries.

suziewoozie Thu 25-Jun-20 12:28:16

Gram my understanding is that shielding remains in place until end July regardless of what is open. But actually many of us don’t trust a word of the guidance. What do you and your DH think is an acceptable risk from 1 August? He should talk to the medical person in charge of his care - GP or consultant.

Gramann Thu 25-Jun-20 12:18:55

My husband has been shielding through out. I am unclear whether he would be allowed to get a haircut once the hairdressers open. He has a government letter advising he can go to shops from August 1st as long has he maintains social distancing. Can anyone clarify please?

Furret Thu 25-Jun-20 07:18:02

SueDonim I was talking about leadership. NS has done a better job of public messaging than Blustering Boris, holding coherent televised briefings almost every day.

And while Boris has waved aside all criticism of Dominic Cummings’s decision to travel from London to Durham in the north-east of England at the height of the pandemic, she made no attempt to defend trips to a holiday home by her chief medical officer Catherine Calderwood and told her to resign when it became clear the issue was clouding the government’s lockdown message.

suziewoozie Thu 25-Jun-20 06:59:59

Mad yes you’re right - unless you live on your own or your grandchildren are in a single parent household, when you meet up
indoors or out, you have to observe social distancing. This rules out childcare.

Madchickenlady63 Wed 24-Jun-20 23:17:47

They didn't say we could babysit for our grandchildren did they, I understood that we could meet with another household including grandchildren but we still had to socially distance, my daughter seems to think I can babysit now but I told her no because the grandchildren are too young to understand the social distancing rule

SueDonim Wed 24-Jun-20 23:12:29

Furret NS has good comms, that’s what it boils down to. Scotland’s performance in this pandemic isn’t much different from England’s. We’ve had the same PPE problems, the same - or worse - care home issues. Infection rates are pretty similar, in fact today’s rates are higher than England’s. Now, coming out of lockdown, they’re had to do an about-turn on education and currently are proposing that work restarts but that childcare won’t be starting at the same time. She’s not exactly Jacinta Arden.

Furret Wed 24-Jun-20 22:49:31

SueDonim I’m thinking I wish we had a leader of the calibre of Sturgeon.

skunkhair63 Wed 24-Jun-20 19:44:00

BlueSky

It's so weird at the beginning nobody wanted be incarcerated now whatever we are told we are allowed to do we say: "I'm staying in lockdown!" Stockholm syndrome?

Probably just a general mis-trust of the way the Government have (badly) handled this!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 24-Jun-20 18:50:45

SueDonim, you said "people here are getting very fed up of being locked down unnecessarily", and I just wanted to point out that not all of us feel as you do, but that, of course, you are as entitled to your opinion as I am. smile

Siamsabai Wed 24-Jun-20 18:24:43

Here in Portugal we have clear guidelines on how to be clean and safe running our bed and breakfast, OK its a bit more work but we've guests arriving who are respectful of social distancing and appreciating being able to stay in a peaceful rural area, hope this happens in the UK

Xxjanexx Wed 24-Jun-20 17:57:29

I see places of worship will be opening....but does anyone know about crematoriums?

Is it still 10 that can only attend?

SueDonim Wed 24-Jun-20 17:31:10

I wasn’t aware I was speaking for you, Wheniwasyourage. confused

nananumnums Wed 24-Jun-20 17:26:39

Wheniwasyourage - well said - you can either have a cautious approach or have restrictions eased willy nilly and risk another covid epedemic - know which one i'd choose

Wheniwasyourage Wed 24-Jun-20 16:16:19

SueDonim, you may, of course, speak for yourself, and for your friends, who obviously agree with you. You do not speak for me, nor for those people whom I have spoken to who are perfectly happy with the fact that Scotland is going more cautiously than England with easing the lockdown.

sharon103 Wed 24-Jun-20 15:58:09

Mollygo Wed 24-Jun-20 14:22:35
I agree 100% and said so from the start. I wouldn't have wanted the job for all the money in the world.
Some also forget that we didn't have a Prime Minister for a time as Boris was ill in No10 for 10 days before he was admitted to hospital. In intensive care for around a couple of weeks. Recovering for a month and not feeling good I would imagine when he went back to work.
I know the government get paid very well and that's their job. but this has the biggest crisis since WW2.
They acted fast to support the public financially and to help businesses.
I was so pleased to see Keir Starmer give praise and agree with Boris's announcement on tv last night. What a refreshing change.
We all have a choice how to continue with our lives. The vulnerable less able at present.
The virus is still among us and will be for the foreseeable future. We're only at level 3.
I'm in no hurry to go anywhere fast.
A Gran mentioned is it safe to take a friend out in her car.
Not sure on that one but my son had a taxi from town last week-end. He had to sit in the back though.
If you want to go to the pub you have to give your name and address and take identification so that if anyone you're with gets the virus they can track and trace who they were with.
Also heard that if planning to go out for a meal, you have to phone first to order. Best to phone these places to find out the regulations before you go.

SueDonim Wed 24-Jun-20 14:37:24

Romolo I’m in Scotland and people here are getting very fed up of being locked down unnecessarily. We had the ridiculous situation last week where we were couldn’t sit on the outdoor seating of a cafe to have our takeaway coffee but we could sit at the seating of the place next door because they weren’t open to serve coffee. The seats were just a few feet from each other!

Just rang my sister in Scotland. We're in our 70s, hoping to meet next month. "Talk about the nanny state, Nicola Sturgeon dragging her feet," she said.
I wonder what others in Scotland are thinking?

Atqui Wed 24-Jun-20 14:25:17

If anyone wants clarification the government website sets it all out , though some may think it’s too much to read
www.gov.uk/

Mollygo Wed 24-Jun-20 14:22:35

Jillybird you made it very well on all counts.
Many schools are now open to increasing numbers of key worker children from other year groups than those designated as safe to return. So in one school I know, with 67 key workers children from Y2, 3 ,4 and 5 plus provision for 180 (3x60) yR, y1 and y6 some of whom were KW children but are now in bubbles the school needs, but doesn’t have 17 classroom spaces.. Almost all teaching and staff and TAs have been in school part time in lock down and are now back in school full time though a few vulnerable staff are still working from home to provide the daily learning for children still at home and carrying out other tasks that are part of school life.
JenniferEccles I wouldn't have Boris’s job for all the money in the world. He may not be right, and according to the media, he never is, but even if he was, so many armchair politicians would be able to do his job better.
People clamour for lockdown, then against it. We ask for schools to open and then say it’s not safe.
They want Lockdown to ease then say it will cause a spike in infection.
They think wearing masks will make it safer, until we are told to do so when there is an immediate outcry.
If, every time there was a question on the briefings, (which have now stopped), the questioner was obliged to say what they think should be done next in answer to their own question, there’d be a lot fewer questioners.

Atqui Wed 24-Jun-20 14:11:13

If there is another spike in infections , how will the powers that be know what caused it? Was it the single person bubbles, the opening of the hospitality business or the irresponsible behaviour at demos!

wicklowwinnie Wed 24-Jun-20 14:09:30

Thank you PamelaJ1, I think I shall be going to a forge anyway, My toenails have turned into hooves !!!!

I appreciated your reply.

SandraPotter Wed 24-Jun-20 14:09:24

Schools not closed on the whole. If you have a sensible plan for how schools can practically reopen for all children I'm sure that many Heads would be happy to read it.