Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(53 Posts)
12Michael Thu 25-Jun-20 06:10:02

Good Morning Everyone,
Yet another bright and sunny start to the day here in Brackley this morning.
Plans for the day , later get the bus to Bicester , there are a few items Sainsburys do which I want .
Plus the chance to maybe meet up with some people even if its from a distance.
I looked at the warmers webpage as to Hotels ,and I am hoping my late August break goes ahead .
Mick

Marydoll Thu 25-Jun-20 08:36:44

Good morning all from a sunny Glasgow ?, with thunderstorms forecast later.sad

I love to hear about everyone's outings and meet ups with family. It just lifts my spirits.
My new meds have made me even more vulnerable than previously, so I will need to be extremely careful and still stay at home.

A gentle day for me today, wakened up a few times by pain, but despite making pleanty of noise, (how dare he stay sleeping) of course DH slept through my agony! Poor soul was tired out by his golf. wink

Despite my brain fog, I used DH's golf time yesterday to undo DH's hashing and bashing of the previous day and re- set up the Alexa intercom system. Ooooh I love it!
The main idea was that if I was unwell and in bed, and needing help, I could talk to him in the lounge from upstairs, as ne never hears or ignores me me, calling from upstairs. I decided to be proactive and find a solution! Once a teacher, always a teacher. wink

However, I was on the Tesco site and I was sorting my online order, when realised he had asked me to put something on the list, but couldn't remember what it was.
I decided to try out the intercom to save going downstairs. Unknown to me, DH was snoozing, worn out after his exhausting game of golf, wink, so I said his name, using Alexa. He got the fright of his life, when he could hear his name and no-one was in the room. It was so funny! ?

DD arrived early yesterday with my shopping and as we were chatting, I mentioned that a parcel had been delivered addressed to DH's (youngest of six) estranged brother, whom he hadn't seen for many years. (very long story). DH was refusing to have anything to do with it, despite me nagging to get one of our children to drop it off at another brother's home. It was all very strange, as the brother is often based abroad, why would anyone send something to our address?

DD decided to open it, look for the sender and then parcel it back together again,
The parcel was not meant for the long lost brother, but for ME!
It had been addressed to Mark, instead of Mary!! confused
I am a numpty, (as was the sender!)
Inside were two pairs of brand new boots, still in boxes, which I had ordered from Ebay.
I had seen them on the Daniel footwear site, priced at £199 each. I got each pair for £10 on Ebay. A bargain, indeed. grin. I hadn't expected to come so quickly.

Thinking of Bluesapphire, hoping that she has made some progress and CrazyH, whom I believe is desparately worried about her grandson.

Enjoy the good weather today, everyone. Hoping to hear some good news from Nicola S. today taht DD's postponed wedding can go ahead. Fingers crossed.

harrigran Thu 25-Jun-20 08:43:20

Good morning from a sunny NE.
Uncomfortable night, in hindsight I should have carried the Dyson into the bedroom.
Morrison's delivery this morning, no large eggs, FGS a supermarket without eggs. We are not impressed with them, bread always comes squashed with heavy things on top.
DD is on the train from Brussels to Germany again to support her aunt at tomorrow's funeral, an eight hour journey.
We sat in the garden until almost 8pm yesterday, book finished and a couple of magazines read, a lazy day.
GD sent a photo of a new office chair she assembled herself yesterday, I was impressed. I was never able to do things like that as a teenager.

Largolass Thu 25-Jun-20 08:43:24

Good Morning from a very warm and sunny Fife the sun is shining on the water and the bay looks beautiful. Today I have some cleaning to do but so thankful that my cleaner returns next week.
Urmston there's been a few Ryanair flights to Malaga from Scotland this week sadly our Hotel is closed atm but opening in July

GrannyGravy13 Thu 25-Jun-20 08:46:42

Good morning Mick and all x

Another hot and sunny day here in S E Essex, I think reading on the sun lounger will be my job for this afternoon then a quick dip to cool off!!

We have a man coming round this morning as a decision has to be made on the very worrying cracks that have reappeared in our hallway and a few other places, since the repairs 20 months ago.

Enjoy the beautiful summer weather if you are lucky enough to have it in your area ?⛱

Keep safe and well folks ?

Grandmabatty Thu 25-Jun-20 08:48:06

Good morning from a warm Polmont. There are clouds building but it's a sunny day in the main so washings on and ready to go out. I have a quiet day planned, just a visit to my oldest friend for a garden chat. I don't mean she's old, I've known her for 57 years! We met when we were 5. I'm off for my second coffee - I only have 2 in a day- so have a lovely day all. This chat cheers me up and sets me up for the day x

Grammaretto Thu 25-Jun-20 08:49:17

Good morning Mick and all from the Scottish Borders. We have the Haar again. That's the sea mist which rolls across the East coast but we are at least 10 miles from the sea.
It was hot yesterday but not as hot as you are having it in England.
Keep hydrated. Keep safe.
We will have a distanced coffee in a neighbour's garden today. Yesterday we took our own glasses, and plates and had a glass of prosecco and birthday cake with neighbours. Their garden was needing to be admired.

MawB Thu 25-Jun-20 08:49:44

Good morning all from a limp J cloth already!
I had great difficulty sleeping because of my painful knees and one shin (falling over 2 weeks ago - hope nothing broken or torn) and was certainly still wide awake at 3
The Dyson fan is going full blast and I have opened all the N facing windows and some of the S but left the curtains shut. This house faces due N/S with nothing in between.
Had a text from Bluesapphire yesterday as this thread prompted me to get in touch.
She is trying hard but still has a long way to go I fear but has been seeing her D and SIL in the garden.
I have an 80th birthday tea this afternoon with my book group - the birthday girl has to be fibbing though - she doesn’t look a day over 65!
Wishing you all a pleasant day.

Puzzler61 Thu 25-Jun-20 09:01:35

MawB enjoy the Book group Birthday tea - will it be a bit like one of our “Queen’s Garden Parties”? ?

My friend is a fellow “Book Club”ber and we sat in her garden reading poetry to each other on Monday afternoon. They were from a book of Garden themed poems introduced by Monty Don.

I hope your poor knees, your shin and a lack of sleep don’t deter you from having a blooming lovely afternoon. ☕️ ?

Urmstongran Thu 25-Jun-20 09:04:01

I think that’s why the beaches are so busy with locals at present Largolass - no hotels open so all the staff - chambermaids, reception, restaurant areas - are all out and about which must be unusual for them during the summer! Also many independent restaurants and bars won’t open until the holidaymakers arrive.

Spain is very much the domain of the Spanish at present! There is a lot of concern about the economy here in the local newspapers. Tourism accounts for 12% of GDP apparently. Businesses need the visitors but understandably many local people are wary of them bringing C-19 with them. An anxious time for everyone I suppose.

Anniebach Thu 25-Jun-20 09:04:57

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

gillybob Thu 25-Jun-20 09:11:46

Good morning from the NE coast where we have the second sunny day in a row ..... which has to be some kind of record wink

I have a busy day ahead as I’m off to pick up little Evie Button for a day of fun (and exhaustion) while mummy goes to work . I have the paddley pool out and the little tent set up ready for her.

Wonderful news about the surprise visit of your DS and his family Ginster I hope you all have the most lovely day smile

Well done building all of that Ikea furniture in record time grandMattie . DH and I used to make a perfect team when building flat packs too. smile

I’ve had the Dyson fan going all night too MawB on level 4 last night it was so hot .

Do try to take it easy Marydoll . I loved the Alexa story. smile

Thinking of BlueSapphire and hoping CrazyH gets some positive news about her DGS soon . Poor little lamb .

I hope everyone has as good a Thursday as possible .
Love Gillybob x

Gelisajams Thu 25-Jun-20 09:12:33

Good morning from a very sunny Morecambe Bay. Waylaid reading the doom and gloom from around the world even though I picked up my iPad to post on here!
I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to work out what to wear today! Dresses on dresses off, does this blouse match this skirt? We are off to Fountains Abbey shortly, so I wanted something cool but kept me covered. I kept complaining I was exposing bits with my various dresses and didn’t want to be burnt and I would be too hot in trousers and a long sleeved blouse. DH quietly reminded me that I could always put some factor 50 on. Why didn’t I think of that! The brain fog is definitely getting worse.
Take care everyone and stay safe.?

Largolass Thu 25-Jun-20 09:18:05

Urmston I'm in touch with a few of the Staff in our Hotel and as you say they're on the beach and walking the paseo but are bored and can't wait to get back to work. Our April flights were transferred to November so we've something to look forward to just hope our favourite bars will have survived. Enjoy your day.

EllanVannin Thu 25-Jun-20 09:21:12

Good Morning All x
Beautiful again so I'll make the most of it today. Yesterday I was really getting along fine with the washing on early, showered and breakfasted and more washing in the machine when there was a knock on the door.

D had decided to call after dropping off the children at their various schools and stayed until it was time to pick them up at hometime.
I did us a lovely dinner of lamb steaks new pots and runner beans, so saw little of the weather really but it was a good catch up. I could have gone to sleep afterwards grin with the dinner and the heat. Nevertheless it was lovely to see her for so long.

D and her 3 charges had been to the Lake District last Saturday visiting their sibling who's having " treatment " for her behavioural problems at a private residential establishment, lovely place with school attached that looks like a castle. D said she felt privileged that the child was sent there. They all spent most of the day with buckets and spades on Morecambe beach.

Half expecting the vacuum cleaner to be delivered today after a lovely email explaining all the usual precautions with the parcel etc. If it does arrive I won't be hoovering anyway I'll be taking advantage of the weather today. This is all because I can't get anyone to fit a belt on my Shark cleaner yet but I can't do without a cleaner.

The cats are flat-out with the heat here, splayed out on the carpet.
I read about some idiot leaving their dog in the car ! The owners were in a restaurant ! Poor animal, it was rescued when passers-by alerted someone.

Salmon sandwiches today instead of cooking. Then cheese and crackers later. I had my fill yesterday grin.

Hoping things are alright with everyone and not getting too hot and bothered with the weather----just a bit at a time is best. Stay safe and well everyone xx Take things easy.

Urmstongran Thu 25-Jun-20 09:25:19

Largolass ?

Jaan12 Thu 25-Jun-20 09:47:36

Good morning from Fife. Looks like it is going to be another warm day. If so will likely spend much of it in the garden and keeping the birds fed and their water bowl filled up. Online grocery order being delivered later. First time for a while. Hope everyone has a good day.

grannysyb Thu 25-Jun-20 10:11:55

Good morning, very hot here, have just done 45 minutes in the East facing front garden, and am very hot now! Zooming with upholstery, then go to the supermarket. We need to go and collect two nucleus bee colonies from Hertfordshire, but it's dependant on the weather forecast, as they need to be put into the hives when it's fine, so probably not until Sunday. Have a good day everyone.

CherryCezzy Thu 25-Jun-20 10:12:59

Good morning from a gloriously sunny Gower ?.

It was so positively continental here yesterday I ended up having a siesta yesterday Urmstongran and thought of you in sunny Malaga ?.
Thanks for the well wishes, from you too Grandmafrench. After resting I'm so much better today ?

* Maw*, it's good to see you posting with us again. Sorry to hear you are still struggling after your fall. These things seem to take an inordinate amount of time. I'm still having a bit of an issue with my knee, consequences from a seizure over a month ago ?. It is improving and your injury will too ?. Thank you for the update on BlueSapphire, it's good to know she has been seeing family.
Hope you enjoy your friend's birthday tea today ? .

Marydoll, despite to be expected residual effect from your treatment you do sound chipper ?. Loved your way of rousing your DH from his sleepy slumber, wonderfully wicked ?. That trick would have made my WP jump too.

I'm a bit brain fogged, probably the heat ? so I just want to say to all now meeting up with family and/or friends I hope you enjoy your time together (pretty sure you will) ?. To those of you going through trials and tribulations ???.

We're off out today ! A bit of escapology from shielding. We are only venturing into the village for a walk and to see, smell and hear the sea but it will be so good ?.

Be kind to yourselves everyone ❤️

BladeAnnie Thu 25-Jun-20 10:14:54

Morning all from an already hot mid-Notts. Such a hot night too - the fan going at full blast didn't make much difference. Sainsbury's delivery this afternoon and no substitutions!! I have to say throughout the lockdown we have found sainsbury's have done so well. Even when they have had to substitute items they have always been what we would have chosen. My DD has Asda deliveries and you wouldn't believe some of the substitutes she has had!!!! Difficult times though - just wanted to say well done sainsbury's smile. DD is on her way for a garden visit now - it is so hard when DGD holds her little arms out for a hug though. Stay safe everyone and may Thursday be kind to us all x

Nannytopsy Thu 25-Jun-20 10:15:19

Good morning Mick and all his followers. It’s already warm here in Suffolk so a lazy day perhaps? Plans to visit garden centre(s?) to buy plants for our new bed. We want to plant it when the rain arrives, perhaps this weekend?
Front door finished at last! We just need to put the letterbox back.
Best wishes to you all, particularly BlueSapphire.

Kalu Thu 25-Jun-20 10:39:01

Good morning all from an already very hot day in Glasgow. I’m afraid I may have turned into my Mother or even Granny as I can’t quite bear the heat I once did. After some pottering in the garden and basic housework ticked I am now sitting comfortably under the shade of a tree. Bliss.

Not a lot happening here until later in the day so I wish you all a pleasant summer’s day and thoughts for those who are struggling.

hollysteers Thu 25-Jun-20 10:56:16

Mornin’ all from Suet on Sea on the sunny west coast.
Son coming over today and I have a list of jobs for him. He can fix up my bike and I’ll start wobbling around. Need to keep my list short or he might go off visiting me...My freezer conked out and doesn’t arrive until 1st July, so have been without it for a while. Had to eat my way through defrosted food, Thankfully I didn’t have meat, fish or ready meals in it.
After days of sunbathing in our first hot patch, I’m not bothered now and can see how people who live in LA take no notice of the sun. Sunbathing can be hard work! But I always wear a hat. My mother told me never to burn my face. My husband used to joke “I don’t know why you’re preserving that face’? Have a nice day.

Legs55 Thu 25-Jun-20 11:05:11

Good morning all from very sunny Devon, feels hotter than yesterday as there is virtually no breeze today. Already put another coat of emulsion on a small section of my Lounge wall (small space, much furniture moving, small section at a time), loving the colour which is called Whispering Sage but looks more "Minty", light & brightsmile

Planning to just laze in the garden for the rest of the day, maybe a little light weeding but not much else, too hot for heavy work.

Have a good day all. For those of you with health problems flowers

Hymnbook Thu 25-Jun-20 11:15:34

Morning everyone . Hot already. I'll go out later and find a shady spot on the park. Friend should have been coming over today but they're not well. Yesterday I was hoping to meet my sisters but they aren't well either. Makes a change it's usually me that cancels. Hope everyone has a good day .

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 25-Jun-20 11:21:53

Good Morning all from Sunny Harrogate nothing particularly apart from a video call via Messenger with my two sisters, one lives in Surrey and the other near Lockerbie, so I am in the middle. Lovely to keep up with them.